Re: The "Sneaky Pete" Holster

Post by carlson1 »

TrackinPat wrote:
carlson1 wrote:
TrackinPat wrote:
carlson1 wrote:
RJGold wrote:
TrackinPat wrote:
Not an issue for him, he doesn't carry his weapon and his testing gear in the same place...
I carry my glucose meter and insulin in the same bag as my .45 if I am traveling. I always carry on my side, but I carry extra when traveling.
Interesting, and that works well for you I presume?
It has so far. I carry it all in a Maxpedition bag. I may be rethinking it now after reading this post.
I don't see why it would be an issue, I'd just be worried about having to dig at all for it. If I am driving for extended periods I always keep in my center console (I'm left handed so reaching across feels natural).
I don't drive so I don't have that problem.

TrackinPat
Posts in topic: 10

Post by TrackinPat »

carlson1 wrote:
TrackinPat wrote:
carlson1 wrote:
TrackinPat wrote:
carlson1 wrote:
RJGold wrote:
TrackinPat wrote:
Not an issue for him, he doesn't carry his weapon and his testing gear in the same place...
I carry my glucose meter and insulin in the same bag as my .45 if I am traveling. I always carry on my side, but I carry extra when traveling.
Interesting, and that works well for you I presume?
It has so far. I carry it all in a Maxpedition bag. I may be rethinking it now after reading this post.
I don't see why it would be an issue, I'd just be worried about having to dig at all for it. If I am driving for extended periods I always keep in my center console (I'm left handed so reaching across feels natural).
I don't drive so I don't have that problem.
Ah, okay!

WinoVeritas
Posts in topic: 4

Post by WinoVeritas »

I recently bought two belt clip SP's for different carry pistols (small frame; medium frame) as I liked the concept and ease of use vs. a tuckable IWB. Currently in process to either get them replaced or returned for credit (I will have to pay for return postage) as there is a problem with both units. SP's customer service is slow, slow, slow and may only be accessed thru email.

The small frame unit isn't deep enough for the pistol, so that the fold over closure hits the slide and grip - seems about a 1/4" too shallow. These two contact points keep tension on the flap and the slightest bump of the unit and the magnets release and you can see contents. And yes, I ordered the correct holster for the pistol.

The medium frame unit is just flat out made incorrectly. When the flap is closed it leaves a 1/2"+ gap (think half moon) front and back - you can actually see the pistol slide. If you pull the flap down to actually close the gap, the magnets pull it back to the gapped position when released. Otherwise the fit is good. I could resolve this by installing Velcro strips for closure, but not interested in fixing their problem. Like the holster, but not that much.

From the back and forth emails and pictures, I'm expecting that returning for credit will be the final solution. It does not appear the seller has much control over manufacturing or QC and appears to be nothing more than a residential home storefront rep in Brookhaven, NY. for a product I suspect from China - there are no indications on unit or packaging as to where manufactured.

I am disappointed as I truly like the concept, and if not for the problems mentioned, would be completely satisfied with purchase. I will advise the end results once known.
Attachments
DSCN2079e.JPG
Last edited by WinoVeritas on Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

WinoVeritas

Post by WinoVeritas »

End result as expected.

Just received an email response that in essence said this is "the way" these holsters are made and that they would reluctantly send me a "prepaid" mailer to return both for credit. Thanked me for giving SP a try and sayonara. Hopefully, I'll get the mailer and put this incident behind me, poorer but wiser. LOL

Unlike, say Remora or Kholster, where problems can be corrected or resolved as they control the manufacturing of the item. I suspect the SP's are mass produced in China and sold thru the residential home office rep who has absolutely no control over manufacturing or QC or the ability to correct a mis-manufactured item. It's a shame as I really do like the concept - just not the quality. Doesn't mean it may not work for others, but for this kind of money, I do expect near perfection of the product - and SP failed in that regard IMO.

oohrah
Posts in topic: 5

Post by oohrah »

I've had my SP for my Ruger LCP for a couple weeks now. I wear a sport coat to work, so its style fits perfectly with that dress mode. I don't wear it with jeans as it would appear out of place (at least for those who know me). Unlike the previous poster (don't know what gun he had), my SP is a perfect fit for the LCP with the pinky extension on the mag.

It is very comfortable and I like the fact that I am completely concealed. I tried IWB and for me it was just too uncomfortable. My 2c, YMMV.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

WinoVeritas

Post by WinoVeritas »

Received my return mailing label/envelope yesterday and full credit including shipping was issued to my credit card. Frankly, I would rather have had the holsters had there not been problems as mentioned in earlier above post. Disappointed, but satisfied with Sneaky Pete refunding my money.

thetexan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by thetexan »

What I dont like about Sneaky Pete holsters is that they look like exactly what they are...a gun holster. They even have SP stamped on the side announcing it to all of the people familiar with guns and holsters that this is a gun.

Anyone familiar with chl will know you have a gun. LEO will know you have a gun. Eventually more and more non-chl'ers will come to know or guess that it is a gun.

Now, depending on your point of view or what is desired by the carrier at the moment, this may be ok. It may be good to 'imply' 'I have a gun' without actually showing it, in which case it is perfect.

Its good point is that it lets you carry with dress clothes without messing around with a IWB.

tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Very good points, and one of the reasons there are so many different types of holsters out there. I would say that the SP stamped on the black leather of mine is very discreet and difficult to read unless you really look closely (which few will have an opportunity to do).

It still looks a lot like other cell phone and mini tablet cases, so it will interesting to see how your prediction of non-chlers recognizing it pans out.

In the end, concealed is still concealed (and only my hair dresser knows for sure ;-) )
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Oldgringo »

I saw a guy with a Sneaky Pete holster in Wal-Mart a couple of hours ago. I knew what it was because I knew what it was. To anyone else, it looked like the cell phone, knife, I-pad gizmo, medical gizmo or the many other things that people wear around these days. No one notices!

TXRuger

Post by TXRuger »

thetexan wrote:What I dont like about Sneaky Pete holsters is that they look like exactly what they are...a gun holster. They even have SP stamped on the side announcing it to all of the people familiar with guns and holsters that this is a gun.

Anyone familiar with chl will know you have a gun. LEO will know you have a gun. Eventually more and more non-chl'ers will come to know or guess that it is a gun.

Now, depending on your point of view or what is desired by the carrier at the moment, this may be ok. It may be good to 'imply' 'I have a gun' without actually showing it, in which case it is perfect.

Its good point is that it lets you carry with dress clothes without messing around with a IWB.

tex
+1

I avoid all the belt pouches for the same reason(s).

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

I did notice one convenience of the SP today. When you're in the restroom and have to drop trou, you still remain completely concealed while on your belt.
USMC, Retired

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

I have a friend who tried and did not like the SP for his small gun.

My "Gun I carry when I can't carry a real gun." is a .32NAA Guardian, and NAA has a dedicated case that is the same concept as the SP, and I bought one. First; the case is nylon and the outline of the gun shows, at least to my eye, so I have added a bit of stuff here and there inside to make it look less obvious. Second; I also have a Crimson Trace laser sight mounted on the gun, which the case has a tendency to press the button on, running the battery down, so I made a sleeve out of thermo-setting clay to keep that from happening, with the added benefit of breaking up the outline further. Third; the nylon case has a tendency to snag the velcro on my Tru-Specs and it's starting to look a little worn.

I like it, and will buy another when this one is no longer what I consider to be presentable.

Funny, though, a while back my wife and I were out and about and I had my normal carry gun on at about 4 o'clock with a light jacket concealing. Since we had a couple of the dogs with us, I had put on an old PDA case, at about 3 o'clock, which I use to carry dog treats. A gentleman started to carry on a conversation with us and said something about my gun, and I actually fell for it and asked him if it was showing. He said that it was not, but that it was unusual for someone to carry a smart phone on one hip and a PDA on the other, at which point I realized that my jacket was snagged behind the PDA case and it looked like I was preparing for a fast draw. I pulled the case off, opened it and showed him the contents and said "See, no gun." and that was the end of that. :smilelol5:
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

thatguyoverthere

Post by thatguyoverthere »

I realize this is an old thread, but that's OK because I'm an old guy (new guy here, old guy in life).

Anyway, I just bought a Sneaky Pete for my Ruger LC9. Yeah, maybe it looks like a PDA case, or iPad or notebook case. Or maybe it looks like a gun holster.

With a $4 embroidered patch from Amazon and a little dab of hot glue, now maybe mine looks like a first aid kit (or maybe now looks like a gun holster with a red cross on it! :mrgreen: )

Anyway, just an idea in case someone else might want to try something similar. Very easy to do. Hot glue worked great on this one. I just did it, so we'll see how it holds up to normal wear & tear.
IMAG2068x.jpg

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

I recently bought one for my Sig P230 SI. My 'lil Sig (truck gun) is heavier than I remembered and the Sneaky Pete holster was larger than I expected. Consequently, the holster was returned. Refund was prompt so I give 'em a big :thumbs2: for customer service.

BigGuy

Post by BigGuy »

The Annoyed Man wrote:nyj, my point is that to you, that's someone you think is carrying a gun. You might be right, but until you actually see the gun, it isn't anything more than an educated guess, so you can't know
May this be henceforth known as Schrödinger's Gun! :lol:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”