Hazmat Background & Fingerprinting speed up CHL???

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
KevinInTx
Posts in topic: 1

Hazmat Background & Fingerprinting speed up CHL???

Post by KevinInTx »

I have my class A CDL and recently added the Hazmat endorsement.
I had to have my fingerprints and background run which goes through the FBI and TSA.
Should this make things quicker whenever I decide to get my CHL in the near future?

Jumping Frog

Re: Hazmat Background & Fingerprinting speed up CHL???

Post by Jumping Frog »

Does not appear to do so. They are independent checks by different bureaucracies.

If one has a clean record, the FBI check doesn't take long anyway. I know of Ohio sheriffs who have pulled the complete background check and issued the CHL in about an hour. It is when there are questions regarding the background that it takes time to clear unresolved arrests or convictions.

Personally, not quite sure why the DPS takes so long, but I figure that is what happens when a process gets delegated to a centralized, unaccountable bureaucracy.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

KevinInTx wrote:I have my class A CDL and recently added the Hazmat endorsement.
I had to have my fingerprints and background run which goes through the FBI and TSA.
Should this make things quicker whenever I decide to get my CHL in the near future?
No, it won't make things quicker. After a background check, the FBI is supposed to destroy the fingerprint records.
Last edited by WildBill on Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

Jumping Frog wrote:Personally, not quite sure why the DPS takes so long, but I figure that is what happens when a process gets delegated to a centralized, unaccountable bureaucracy.
From what I understand, the DPS [Austin] assigns a Trooper [I don't know how many] from your county of residence do the background check. At least that is how it was done when I got my CHL.

There was a problem with the DPS not finding my DL number in their system so I got a call from a Trooper in Houston. A couple of phone calls and a fax straightened it out pretty quickly.
NRA Endowment Member

happy2007

Post by happy2007 »

Basically just about anyone can pass a background check for haz-mat licensing but not everyone will pass for a chl if i read this right. In other words the FBI background check is not very deep compared to a CHL.....

I would think that having cleared an FBI background for Haz-Mat and having that issued it would make things easier.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

happy2007 wrote:Basically just about anyone can pass a background check for haz-mat licensing but not everyone will pass for a chl if i read this right. In other words the FBI background check is not very deep compared to a CHL.....

I would think that having cleared an FBI background for Haz-Mat and having that issued it would make things easier.
It doesn't. They run a new check on you every time.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Have a very high level security clearance from USG. Doesn't help. CHL and DoD have different standards. You can get a CDL/Hazmat, TWIC, or DoD security clearance with a felony conviction or other disqualifiers for gun ownership. --- Not that I have any.... :shock:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

winters
Banned

Post by winters »

I have global entry which is pretty strict and it doesn't help. basically the state doesn't talk to itself or anyone else when it comes to chl.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”