Any problem with an Out-of-State CCW for a Texas Resident?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Dori
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Any problem with an Out-of-State CCW for a Texas Residen

Post by Dori »

mikeloc wrote:Once you have your Texas CHL it only cost $15 to renew Utah. I would not let it expire for that small amount.
It was $15.75 to renew mine online but I thought it was worth the extra six bits for the convenience.

mikeloc
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mikeloc »

Dori wrote:
mikeloc wrote:Once you have your Texas CHL it only cost $15 to renew Utah. I would not let it expire for that small amount.
It was $15.75 to renew mine online but I thought it was worth the extra six bits for the convenience.
:iagree: :lol:: :cheers2:
AND Texas charges $2.00 for the same convenience.

jmra
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jmra »

RoyGBiv wrote:
ldj1002 wrote:
Keith B wrote:
ldj1002 wrote:I think a person holding a CHL from another state, where it be resident or nonresident , should be able to get a TX CHL by just paying the fees. After all that is all one has to do to get TX drivers license. After all if TX thinks that other state qualifications are good enough to reciprocate CHL with then it should be good enough to issue a license.
Should be and is are two different things. The classes have been shortened in time and there are no longer any renewal classes required, so moving the right direction. Unfortunately you currently must still take the Texas class to receive a license.
You are correct, "Should be and is are two different things. However that would apply to drivers license qualifications from another state also, but it is still allowed.
When I moved here from NC I handed in my NC-DL, TOOK THE TX WRITTEN TEST and received my TX-DL.
The written test was, I assume, to demonstrate sufficient knowledge of Texas driving law.
It would be simple to have the same process for TX-CHL, although not politically possible at this time.
When I moved here from La in 2005 I did not have to take a written test to get my TX DL. I handed them my out of state DL and they gave me a TX DL. When did you move here?
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

jmra wrote:When I moved here from La in 2005 I did not have to take a written test to get my TX DL. I handed them my out of state DL and they gave me a TX DL. When did you move here?
Texas changed their driver license requirements pretty substantially a few years ago. I have a 20 year-old nephew in Houston and he didn't have to do anywhere close to what my 18 year-old son had to do when each of them first got a drivers license. I was told they really beefed up the law in between.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

jmra

Post by jmra »

Jumping Frog wrote:
jmra wrote:When I moved here from La in 2005 I did not have to take a written test to get my TX DL. I handed them my out of state DL and they gave me a TX DL. When did you move here?
Texas changed their driver license requirements pretty substantially a few years ago. I have a 20 year-old nephew in Houston and he didn't have to do anywhere close to what my 18 year-old son had to do when each of them first got a drivers license. I was told they really beefed up the law in between.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/driverlice ... otexas.htm
Adults (18 and Older)
Individuals who hold a valid, unexpired driver license from another U.S. state or U.S. territory, or from Canada, France, South Korea or Germany (the countries Texas has license reciprocity agreements with), do not have to take the knowledge or driving tests.

Maybe Roy's NC-DL was expired.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

jmra wrote:
Jumping Frog wrote:
Adults (18 and Older)
Individuals who hold a valid, unexpired driver license from another U.S. state or U.S. territory, or from Canada, France, South Korea or Germany (the countries Texas has license reciprocity agreements with), do not have to take the knowledge or driving tests.

When I moved here no tests..You did have to go register your car first and prove that was done before they would issue a TX dl...

jmra

Post by jmra »

texanjoker wrote:
jmra wrote:
Jumping Frog wrote:
Adults (18 and Older)

When I moved here no tests..You did have to go register your car first and prove that was done before they would issue a TX dl...
I didn't have to do that. I did have to have the truck inspected before I could get TX plates, but all I had to do to get the TX DL was provide proof of insurance.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

dredge999

Post by dredge999 »

I recently moved to Iowa from Frisco, TX.

However, in Iowa you must have an Iowa CHL if you live in Iowa - all other CHL from other states are not valid for Iowa residents while they are in the state.

Yep, called them about this too and looked up the statute as well as consulted with my Iowa CHL instructor.

Not that this enters into play for the original poster's situation but some of the laws can be a bit misleading. Research is key.

Rick

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”