Back Up Gun vs Tactical Blade

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Back Up Gun or Tactical Knife for self-defense in addition to your primary gun and spare magazine?

Poll ended at Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:43 pm

Back Up Gun
25%
Tactical Knife for self-defense
75%

Total votes: 52

Topic author
LSUTiger
Posts in topic: 3

Back Up Gun vs Tactical Blade

Post by LSUTiger »

If you could only choose 1 of two options in addition to your primary gun and spare magazine:

1. Back up gun
2. Tactical Blade

Which would you choose?

Back up gun because 2 is one and 1 is none

or

Tactical Blade because you want to have a armed/defensive option when you have to comply with 30.06 or prohibited places but a knife is still a legal option.

I run into 30.06/Prohibited places/issues way more than I run into having to use my gun in self defense. Also consider concealment space available, weight and comfort as well as practical daily carry methods.
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

WildBill
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Back Up Gun vs Tactical Blade

Post by WildBill »

LSUTiger wrote:Back up gun because 2 is one and 1 is none
I don't understand. Is this the "new math"? :cool:
NRA Endowment Member

ELB

Post by ELB »

WildBill wrote:
LSUTiger wrote:Back up gun because 2 is one and 1 is none
I don't understand. Is this the "new math"? :cool:
I think it is relatively "old" math. What is means is if you depend on a single [firearm, knife, parachute, other-critical-piece-of-equipment], and it malfunctions, then you are down to zero. If you have two, and one malfunctions, you still have one. Two is one (if one fails) and one is none (if one fails).
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
LSUTiger
Posts in topic: 3

Post by LSUTiger »

ELB,

You beat me to it!

To paraphrase a quote on the origins of the meaning....

I believe the “Two is one, one is none” / “One is none, two is one” mantra is from the Navy Seals. It is a practice in redundancy. If it can fail, it will. If you can lose it, it’s lost. If it malfunctions, you won’t have time to fix it. It’s a reminder to help save your life and complete the mission successfully. While it's a little less critical in the civilian EDC world, it's still applicable.
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

Neither.

1. I won't go into a place with a 30.06. :tiphat:
2. I live in Texas. I wear shorts 90% of the year. if its uncomfortable, odds are I won't wear it routinely.
3. I don't see a need for a "tacticool" blade or a second pistol. Thats what the attack wiener dogs are for.

EDIT: As the Annoyed Man noted, I too carry a "tactical blade." Mines Swiss and is utterly lethal at cutting apples, and opening bags of candy. :anamatedbanana
Last edited by Cedar Park Dad on Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

CoffeeNut
Posts in topic: 1

Post by CoffeeNut »

I carry a Ka-bar TDI LE as a secondary option in case my gun is inaccessible for any reason. It's a recent addition but before that I always had a folder with me so it wasn't a big jump. I've never even thought about a backup gun simply because I don't want the weight of another gun on my person.
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I'm too tired to carry a 2nd gun, and I've carried a folding knife since I was a little boy. These days, it's a "tacticool" knife.....if that's what you want to call it......but I don't carry it because it's tacticool. I carry it because it is a great and handy knife with a strong and sharp blade.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

LSUTiger wrote:ELB,
You beat me to it!
To paraphrase a quote on the origins of the meaning....
I believe the “Two is one, one is none” / “One is none, two is one” mantra is from the Navy Seals. It is a practice in redundancy. If it can fail, it will. If you can lose it, it’s lost. If it malfunctions, you won’t have time to fix it. It’s a reminder to help save your life and complete the mission successfully. While it's a little less critical in the civilian EDC world, it's still applicable.
I understand the statement, but don't agree with the conclusion. By your "math", One Gun = None so and No Gun = None so you would be just as safe carrying nothing.

I am not a SEAL nor have I any combat training for fighting with a knife.

In my younger days, that might have been an option.

That is why I carry proven reliable handguns made by a top manufacturers.

What is good for you is good for you, maybe not for others.
Last edited by WildBill on Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member

airborned

Post by airborned »

im a tiny guy i just dont have room for 2 guns and im not in Baghdad anymore lol. Plus i use my knife for all kinds of things all day long it is a very useful tool i allwase have on me.

Dori

Post by Dori »

I was carrying a blade of some kind before I was old enough to drive. I didn't stop when I got my CHL.

JSThane
Banned

Post by JSThane »

There is no option for "both."

Irrelevant for me, though, it has to be a knife. New Mexico law states "only one concealed handgun at a time," so anything additional has to be pointy and sharp.

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

Does a Leatherman tool count? :lol:
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

Pocket knife.... My dad always would say, a grown man carries a knife, a watch and a pen everyday. My phone has taken the place of my watch. I only carry a pen while at work, but I carry my knife all the time and have added handgun to my Daddy's list. :mrgreen:
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

GlockDude26

Post by GlockDude26 »

i know you're trying to see which one we would carry but there's really no reason that if you can afford the extra weight of a BUG then you can afford the weight of a pocket knife. so why not just carry both? along with the flashlight, cellphone, keys, etc
"Our houses are protected by the Good Lord and a gun, you might em both if you show up here not welcome son" Josh Thompson- Way out here (best song ever) "eventually all citizens will become criminals with enough legislation....."

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

I carry a benchmade automatic pocket knife. Its great for everyday use, I guess I could use it for self defense.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”