PISTOL STORAGE WHILE ON VACATION?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Re: PISTOL STORAGE WHILE ON VACATION?

Post by Keith B »

I would highly suggest a strong lock box for your gun and make sure it is mounted solidly in the truck. The glove box is not really secure enough IMO.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
djbeckett
Posts in topic: 10

Post by djbeckett »

Sorry to go off. Not everyone believed that I was driving into Mexico with a gun.

I was hoping to hear about others experience concerning handgun storage while out in a vehicle where a gun is prohibited, without a lock box (other than the glove box), not wanting to hand it off to a pawn shop, bank or anyone else. I'm going with locked in the glove box in TEXAS THEN WALKING OVER THE BRIDGE INTO MEXICO.

Sorry to be a bother..........

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

WildBill wrote:For those of you who don't know, Nuevo Progresso is border town. I have been there many times, although not for some years. The town is within a very short walking distance of the U.S. border. For most of my visits I paid a couple of dollars and parked in the lot on the Texas side. I walked over the bridge, did my shopping a walked back. All of the stores are on the main street as well as a couple of nice restaurants.

Unless you are buying something you can't carry or are disabled, there is no real advantage for driving into Mexico. If you do drive into Mexico, even a short distance, buy auto insurance in the U.S. before you go over.

I don't know how to be more clear, but locking a gun in a glove compartment does change the fact that it is illegal to have a gun in Mexico. As I stated in my earlier post just having an empty shell casing is enough to be arrested in Mexico.

You stated in your earlier post.
djbeckett wrote:I'm not afraid of Nueva Progresso, Mexico, the deals are too good to pass up.
If you are not afraid of the Mexican authorities, don't get on their bad side by breaking their laws. Bringing a firearm or ammunition into Mexico could be the biggest mistake of your life.
I think the Mexican dentists in Nuevo Progresso do a lot of business with the gringos and the gringas, si?

Dori
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Dori »

¡Ay, caramba!

jmra
Posts in topic: 7

Post by jmra »

Dori wrote:¡Ay, caramba!

[ Image ]
Well, that's just nasty!
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Oldgringo wrote:I think the Mexican dentists in Nuevo Progresso do a lot of business with the gringos and the gringas, si?
More the duty free store and the pharmacies. I could also get a good hair cut for $2.00 and be a big spender and leave the barber a $3.00 tip.
NRA Endowment Member

train460

Post by train460 »

just a thought but what about using your own small gun safe, lock box and secure in your hotel room to something non movable but still hidden?
My 02
michael

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

If you can leave it in the hotel securely locked up, then do that. I bought a jewelry bag that was made for rings. It has a hidden pouch inside. If I have to put the gun in the front desk safe deposit box, I just place the gun in the rectangular bag, carry the bag to the front desk and place it in the box. If the hotel only has a safe that they take the items and store it in, get a lockable cash deposit bag and place the gun (unloaded) inside of it.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/offic ... 7AodOzUAUQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Keith B wrote:If you can leave it in the hotel securely locked up, then do that. I bought a jewelry bag that was made for rings.
:iagree: Nice pouch.

What I have done is locked the gun in the room safe and put out the do not disturb sign. When I get back I can tell if the room has been entered. I realize the management has a master key, but they wouldn't know if anything was in the safe unless some one entered the room.
NRA Endowment Member

tommyg

Post by tommyg »

Mexico has some weird ideas about Knives leave all knives on the US side of the border
N.R.A. benefactor Member :tiphat: Please Support the N.R.A. :patriot:

Topic author
djbeckett

Post by djbeckett »

It looks like the nano vault is my best option. I've never had a problem parking in the progresso, Texas lot and crossing the bridge on foot. I drive the "backway" from South Padre Island to Nueva Progresso, and want my pistol with me.

Thank you, RJGOLD. I'm going with the nano vault!!!!!!!!!!!

dac1842

Post by dac1842 »

I have often wondered if there would be enough demand for storage to purchase a couple of used armored trucks, modify the rear with a sitting area and park near the courthouse or airports. A person who carries climbs in back, unloads his/her weapon, gets a receipt, and the weapon is stored in a locker while the owner is in court.
Charge something like $20 a day..
Oh well, just a thought....

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

WildBill wrote:There is one more alternative that I can think of.

It might be more costly than finding a pawn shop or FFL, but you can be certain that your handgun will be in good hands.

If you pay my hotel and meals for the week I will stay in South Padre and store your handgun for you while you are in Mexico.

:mrgreen:
If you include Bill and me in your budget, we'll even take it to the range, check it for accuracy, function fire it, torture test it, and then clean the gun for you while you're in Mexico. :mrgreen:

Welcome to the forum.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

texas-sig

Post by texas-sig »

In this day and age why would you even consider going to mexico.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”