Real Estate Agents & CHL

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 3

Real Estate Agents & CHL

Post by TexasCajun »

I'm thinking of getting my real estate license & jumping into the residential real estate biz. As a newbie, I'd probably work for one of the bigger companies (Remax, Century21, Keller-Williams, etc) for a while. Do any of these or any other companies prohibit chl carry while on the job? Anything else I should be aware of with regard to on the job safety while showing or looking at property?
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Real Estate Agents & CHL

Post by cb1000rider »

I have no idea on the policies of the big brokers, but Realtor is one of those jobs where I see a legitimate need for CHL.... Maybe someone else can fill you in on the details, but you've got my support.

Topic author
TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

According to what I've read, it ranks pretty high on the dangerous job scale. That's why I was wondering if anybody has any first hand experience. I'm going to meet with a longtime friend of mine who also happens to be in real estate and plan on asking him. I just wanted to see what y'all had to say on it.

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cb1000rider »

I'd be interested in stats that say it is a dangerous job in one way or another. No offense, but when my wife goes in and gets low-balled on a car trade in offer and the sales guys says that selling it yourself is "dangerous" I know that it's just another tactic...

FYI - apparently you're not the only one asking. A quick search turned this up:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=25608

Topic author
TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

Thanks for the link. I did a search but didn't go deep enough.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Oldgringo »

Somebody will be along shortly with comment. You'll know him when you see him.... :cool:

txinstructor
Posts in topic: 1

Post by txinstructor »

Like any other business, a real estate brokerage can control what happens in their place of business - they can post a 30.06 or let agents know they don't want firearms in the office. I don't know of any brokerage that has a policy against it, but I haven't been to every real estate office in Texas so there's probably a couple out there somewhere. As far as carrying while showing houses or meeting with clients - no problem. Agents are independent contractors, not employees, so there is a limit to how much control the broker has even if they are against protecting oneself. Agents typically drive their own vehicles, not company cars, so that's not an issue.

I'm a real estate broker and a CHL instructor, and if I'm dressed I'm probably carrying (and sometimes when I'm not dressed but that's a different discussion). Going to a vacant house to meet a total stranger...sounds like a situation where being prepared is a requirement - I can't imagine any broker being against it but I'm sure someone will be along soon to disagree with me :???:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”