CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Keith B
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Carrollton Park Sign Prohibiting Guns

Post by Keith B »

Keith B wrote:
Rrash wrote:
Rrash wrote:Those signs only apply to law-abiding criminals.
I forgot to include BB guns. You can't carry those in that park. :nono:
Sure you can, if you have a CHL and it is a BB handgun. :mrgreen:
And before any of you nit-picky members jump on this I know a BB pistol is not legally a handgun per the penal code. :rules:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

gdanaher
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gdanaher »

People over think signs like this. What I read is this: Our community is proud of this natural area and would like to keep it that way, therefore don't burn it up, trash it, let your dogs poop on it, and don't use Bb guns and firearms to kill the creatures who reside herein.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Oldgringo »

Keith B wrote:
MaxBerlin wrote:I found this while looking further -

LOCAL GOVERNMENT CODE
TITLE 7. REGULATION OF LAND USE, STRUCTURES, BUSINESSES, AND RELATED ACTIVITIES
SUBTITLE A. MUNICIPAL REGULATORY AUTHORITY
CHAPTER 229. MISCELLANEOUS REGULATORY AUTHORITY OF MUNICIPALITIES

Sec. 229.001. FIREARMS; EXPLOSIVES. (a) A municipality may not adopt regulations relating to the transfer, private ownership, keeping, transportation, licensing, or registration of firearms, ammunition, or firearm supplies.
(b) Subsection (a) does not affect the authority a municipality has under another law to:

(6) regulate the carrying of a firearm by a person other than a person licensed to carry a concealed handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, at a:
(A) public park;

So, I am guessing I am safe to carry.... but really how much legal hassle will I have to go through if this ever becomes an issue?
Don't overthink these. They don't apply to CHL holders.
Well said, Keith. :tiphat:

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

gdanaher wrote:People over think signs like this. What I read is this: Our community is proud of this natural area and would like to keep it that way, therefore don't burn it up, trash it, let your dogs poop on it, and don't use Bb guns and firearms to kill the creatures who reside herein.
:iagree: plus................. concealed is concealed.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 4

Post by WildBill »

Keith B wrote:
Keith B wrote:
Rrash wrote:
And before any of you nit-picky members jump on this I know a BB pistol is not legally a handgun per the penal code. :rules:
You talkin' to me? :grumble
NRA Endowment Member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Keith B wrote:
Keith B wrote:
Rrash wrote:
I was about to say, you sneaky sneaky man, but since it is not legally a handgun and that's what our license is for, we really can't carry one there, can we?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

C-dub wrote:
Keith B wrote:
Keith B wrote:
Rrash wrote:
I was about to say, you sneaky sneaky man, but since it is not legally a handgun and that's what our license is for, we really can't carry one there, can we?
I have tried to find the ordinance on the Carrollton City website, but could not. The sign looks very old and I wonder if the ordinance has been repealed or superseded.
NRA Endowment Member

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

WildBill wrote:
C-dub wrote:
Keith B wrote:
Keith B wrote:
Rrash wrote:
I have tried to find the ordinance on the Carrollton City website, but could not. The sign looks very old and I wonder if the ordinance has been repealed or superseded.
We have a Crosman CO2 revolver, if 'brandished' and shot in any city park anywhere would guarantee you almost immediate attention. Some of today's air rifles and pistols are 'dead ringers' for the originals...and, I'm okay with that.

Topic author
MaxBerlin

Post by MaxBerlin »

Just use the search function for the term 'guns' http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=19956" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sec. 133.16. - Certain activities prohibited.permanent link to this piece of content

Within the limits of any public parks, it shall be unlawful for any person or persons to do any of the acts hereinafter specified, except as may be otherwise provided:

(C)

To carry or discharge any firearm, firecrackers, rockets, torpedoes or any other fireworks, airguns, BB guns, bow and arrows, slingshots; or hit golf balls except in designated areas.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

MaxBerlin wrote:Just use the search function for the term 'guns' http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=19956" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sec. 133.16. - Certain activities prohibited.permanent link to this piece of content

Within the limits of any public parks, it shall be unlawful for any person or persons to do any of the acts hereinafter specified, except as may be otherwise provided:

(C)

To carry or discharge any firearm, firecrackers, rockets, torpedoes or any other fireworks, airguns, BB guns, bow and arrows, slingshots; or hit golf balls except in designated areas.
Max -Thank you. I am in awe. :thumbs2: It's interesting that the same ordinance that prohibits BB guns also prohibits hitting golf balls. That's fair!
NRA Endowment Member

Keith B
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Keith B »

MaxBerlin wrote:Just use the search function for the term 'guns' http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=19956" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(C)

Still doesn't apply to a CHL who is carrying concealed. Just don't take a torpedo with you to sink some poor kid's RC boat in the lake. :lol:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Keith B wrote:

(C)

Still doesn't apply to a CHL who is carrying concealed. Just don't take a torpedo with you to sink some poor kid's RC boat in the lake. :lol:
Probably just using the old terminology, or they are trying to prevent pot smokers from using the park. :reddevil
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

If it not a 30-06 sign ignore it and enjoy the park.
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”