Online renewal

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
AddyLO
Posts in topic: 3

Online renewal

Post by AddyLO »

I received my renewal letter yesterday and figured I would go ahead and get the renewal process started. After going online and renewing I received the following email:
See the checklist for additional items that must be sent to TxDPS. Your application will be considered "incomplete" until all checklist items have been received. To assist in the processing of your application, please make sure you include a copy of your receipt page and all of the items on your checklist before mailing.

Below is your checklist of required supporting documentation:
- Checklist (or your confirmation email containing the transaction barcode)
- TxDPS will attempt to use the passport photo and resubmit the fingerprints on file for your renewal application. If either of these items does not meet current quality standards, TxDPS will notify the applicant and a new submission will be required.
I checked the status of the application online and it does indicate that it is waiting on receipt of required materials. This seems silly since there is nothing else needed but it IS the government so OK.

So here's my question:

A page that the website allows you to print (but only print) at the end of the process shows the following:
Submit this checklist and all required items by email to RSD or by mail to...
This "RSD" is obviously a link to the email address but that does me no good on a printed page.

Does anyone know the email address where this can be sent? Since I have nothing else to send I would much rather email them than send this checklist page by mail. I assume I can just forward their email back to them. The RSD webpage has an online contact form but that's not going to work.

4copas
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Online renewal

Post by 4copas »

Copied from another post.

"You must go to the contact page.

https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/contact/default.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Select concealed handgun from the drop down menu.

Fill out all the fields.

Then upload your confirmation email as a file using the browse button. Only DOCs, PDFs, JPEGs, GIFs files are allowed.

Then click submit.

Then your done."

An easy way to convert your email conformation is to print to PDF, save where you can find it when ready to upload. :thumbs2:
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. John Wayne
NRA Life Member :patriot: :txflag:

kg5ie
Posts in topic: 1

Post by kg5ie »

4copas wrote:Copied from another post.

"You must go to the contact page.

https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/contact/default.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Select concealed handgun from the drop down menu.

Fill out all the fields.

Then upload your confirmation email as a file using the browse button. Only DOCs, PDFs, JPEGs, GIFs files are allowed.

Then click submit.

Then your done."

An easy way to convert your email conformation is to print to PDF, save where you can find it when ready to upload. :thumbs2:

Just a note to the above........ once you browse and find your file.... MAKE SURE you hit the UPLOAD button first, then the SUBMIT or it will not load the file and you'll get a return email saying you forgot to attach the file.

Don't ask how I know... :oops:
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

Topic author
AddyLO

Post by AddyLO »

Wow, maybe I'm just thick but from the correspondence I received I would never have known to do this.

I still find it funny that the only hyperlink to this (I assume that's what it is) is presented on a page you only see on a printed page. And it is masked by text so you can't see the link address.

Thank you so much for the info!

4copas

Post by 4copas »

AddyLO wrote:Wow, maybe I'm just thick but from the correspondence I received I would never have known to do this.

I still find it funny that the only hyperlink to this (I assume that's what it is) is presented on a page you only see on a printed page. And it is masked by text so you can't see the link address.

Thank you so much for the info!
It was less than 30 days, plastic in hand. :txflag:
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. John Wayne
NRA Life Member :patriot: :txflag:

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

Actually, on renewals if you have no other paperwork except for the checklist (page with the barcode), you don't even need to submit it. DPS will process your renewal without it.
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

Topic author
AddyLO

Post by AddyLO »

That's what I would have thought but I never assume anything when it comes to the gubmint.

I used the contact form to send them my confirmation email as a PDF doc attachment. Hopefully I'm all set!

txwin70

Post by txwin70 »

Quick question. My CHL expired on 2/3/14. I have been told that i will need to take the recert class to renew. Can anyone confirm or correct this? Can i just renew online?

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

txwin70 wrote:Quick question. My CHL expired on 2/3/14. I have been told that i will need to take the recert class to renew. Can anyone confirm or correct this? Can i just renew online?
DPS is still honoring the one year grace period, so you can renew without the class. You just can't carry on your body outside of your home or vehicle until you get your new CHL in hand.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

txwin70

Post by txwin70 »

Outstanding. Thank you Keith.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”