Scratching my head over this e-mail from [Pre-paid legal service]

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

dr9
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Scratching my head over this e-mail from Texas Law Shiel

Post by dr9 »

The Beaumont guy with an AR15 at the mall has a [pre-paid legal] lawyer. See YouTube video.
[youtube][/youtube]
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=05OQj4rmNL0
You can observe a lot by just watching.
Yogi Berrra

WildBill
Posts in topic: 8

Post by WildBill »

dr9 wrote:The Beaumont guy with an AR15 at the mall has a [pre-paid legal] lawyer. See YouTube video.
[youtube][/youtube]
I thought that the [pre-paid legal] contract was only for cases related to concealed carry?
NRA Endowment Member

Dori

Post by Dori »

WildBill wrote:I thought that the [pre-paid legal] contract was only for cases related to concealed carry?
I guess we'll find out what it covers. Probably not a peel. :anamatedbanana

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

:banghead: :smilelol5:
Dori wrote:
WildBill wrote:I thought that the [pre-paid legal] contract was only for cases related to concealed carry?
I guess we'll find out what it covers. Probably not a peel. :anamatedbanana
NRA Endowment Member

Taurus.40

Post by Taurus.40 »

WildBill wrote:
dr9 wrote:The Beaumont guy with an AR15 at the mall has a [pre-paid legal] lawyer. See YouTube video.
[youtube][/youtube]
I thought that the [pre-paid legal] contract was only for cases related to concealed carry?
Any gun related issue. I'm curious to see how this goes.
NRA member

Superman

Post by Superman »

rp_photo wrote:It would seem to me that the correct course of action would have been to remain in the vehicle with the window rolled up, display the weapon if the perp began pounding, and shoot to stop the threat once the window was breached. Then perhps [pre-paid legal] could actually help.
If I remember right, you don't have to wait until the window is breached. It's similar to your home, they just have to be trying to break in (if you are inside it). Someone correct me if I'm wrong. So yes, he should have stayed in his car.

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 4

Post by cb1000rider »

jbarn wrote: How much attorney can you afford? Who will you call at zero dark thirty when you shoot the bad guy?
I already know, and mine is paid for.
Jbarn, respectfully:
1) You're an instructor. Do you allow [pre-paid legal] into your classes? If so - are you paid or incented in any way by [pre-paid legal]?
2) Who is your [pre-paid legal] provided attorney? As I understand it, there is some type of pool. I asked this question and at the time they couldn't tell me.

I have an attorney. I'll call him. Whatever I can afford, I'm sure there is an option that I couldn't afford. Attorneys don't do all situations. If he can't handle it, he'll find someone who can.

Again, I don't know that [pre-paid legal] is a bad thing. I don't know it's a good thing. I just like to ask lots of questions and have complete transparency before I depend on a business relationship like this. [pre-paid legal] does not provide that transparency or even transparency on what I consider fundamentals of their business. Maybe that will change.

I think about being on the other side of this - as the attorney: How much am I getting paid to defend these clients? Would I be making the best defense possible? Am I defending too many clients? Am I experienced in the particular type of defense or circumstance? Am I local to the court?
Last edited by cb1000rider on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

treeman wrote: Supposedly they will be there for ANY legal firearm related situation. Hopefully I don't need them.....but.

Treeman, I got the same verbal. I mean I got the same verbal via commissioned non-attorneys that get paid to sell policies. I've never seen an attorney write a contract that covers "ANY" without exceptions and exclusions. What does your contract actually say? If it says "ANY" or "ALL" then I'm being cautious for no reason.

I'm a member of a professional group that has a lobbying arm, a bit like the NRA. They offer a program that provides an attorney for incidents/accidents. I know exactly who the attorneys are, I know what cases they've litigated on behalf of the program, and I'm aware of "some" of the issues that are currently being litigated. I like that transparency and I'm willing to be part of that program. Someone tell me why [pre-paid legal] doesn't have that level of transparency.

FL450

Post by FL450 »

I have read other pre-paid legal services contracts offered at a previous worldwide employer and they had limitation with regard to the number of hours spent on a case as well as the the number of courtroom hours defending a case. After that dig into your pocket.

I am also a member of several aviation professional groups with lobbying arms that offer pre-paid services specific to aviation related issues. Although these may provide a valid service one has to weigh the risk/ benefit/ value of what amounts to an insurance policy. If I took out a policy (insurance, pre-pay legal, extended Warranty) for every thing one was offered on My whole paycheck would go for that. We all must evaluate for ourselves those services which provide us piece of mind.
I love the sound smell of jet fuel in the morning.
Fat thumbs + IPhone = errors, please forgive.

rockinar

Post by rockinar »

rp_photo wrote:They describe a scenario where a CHL holder made several very foolish mistakes and claim they could have helped him. To someone with any knowledge of CHL law and good practices, this ad does nothing for their credability:

NON-MEMBER NIGHTMARE: WHEN IT GOES WRONG

After a late dinner at a local burger joint, a high school math teacher (and a new concealed carry license holder) is driving home with his wife, when a pick-up truck pulls up very close behind their car. It then swerves around their car and races past with the rude truck driver yelling harsh words and giving "friendly" gestures. Unfortunately, shortly after this episode, road construction brings all traffic to a halt with the teacher's car behind the pick-up truck. The truck driver gets out of his truck and starts walking toward the teacher's car. The teacher seeing this and wanting to keep any confrontation away from his wife, exits his car. But in the heat of the moment the teacher forgets to put the car in park, so his car continues rolling forward and smashes the rude driver's truck. The truck driver, after the collision, is none too happy at this point.

BAD TO WORSE

In what can only be described as making a bad situation worse, the teacher freaks out over the course of events and draws his concealed carry pistol and fires warning shots to diffuse the situation. The driver of the truck rushes back in his vehicle and speeds off. The teacher is arrested later that night and charged with felony assault.

Unfortunately for this individual, he was not a member of U.S. Law Shield. Almost everything went wrong that night and his legal and financial nightmare was only beginning. This is just one of the scores of stories we hear from legal gun owners who all thought the same thing, "It won't happen to me." Whether it is the gun owner making a big mistake, or the legal system being guilty of making a big mistake, it can happen to you.
It would seem to me that the correct course of action would have been to remain in the vehicle with the window rolled up, display the weapon if the perp began pounding, and shoot to stop the threat once the window was breached. Then perhps [pre-paid legal] could actually help.

The story sounds made up and sensationalized by some attorney. And if it's true, the sweet and innocent high school math teacher should not have been shooting anyway. Maybe the guy was coming to tell the driver that his headlights were off?

mrrooster2u

Post by mrrooster2u »

I feel the same way about [Pre-paid legal service] as I do my Glock 30. I hope I never need them, but I am damn glad I have them. Enough said...

jmra
Posts in topic: 5

Post by jmra »

mrrooster2u wrote:I feel the same way about [Pre-paid legal service] as I do my Glock 30. I hope I never need them, but I am darn glad I have them. Enough said...
Glock freely shares their products specifications and performance data. There are numerous avenues available to gauge the performance of their product. There is no shortage of references to judge reliability and performance.
Can the same be said about [pre-paid legal]? Will they give you a list of cases they have defended related to CHL and the outcome of the those cases? Will they tell you how much out of pocket expense their client had in the process that was not covered under their plan? Do you have anything tangible to gauge the product they are offering?
I trust my Glock, can't say the same for [pre-paid legal].
Instead of telling us what happened to someone who didn't have [pre-paid legal] why don't they tell us what happened to someone who did have [pre-paid legal]?
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

I saw on their website that they have over 80,000 members.
That's a lot of money they must be bringing in.
I also noticed on the contract a place for the name of the sales rep or person who sold or solicited the contract.
NRA Endowment Member

Selcouth

Post by Selcouth »

Sounds like this could add up fairly quickly:
Items Not Covered Under This Contract. It is expressly understood that any expenses associated with investigators, expert witnesses, witnesses attendance, or other persons necessary to assist in the defense of the case, bail bonds, or other court fees shall be solely the responsibility of the Legal Services Contract Holder and paid directly by the Legal Service Contract Holder. This Legal Service Contract shall not cover expenses related to securing the testimony or evidence of any witness or expert witness, including but not limited to witness fees, witness travel expenses, and/or lodging.
It is expressly understood that any expenses associated with an appeal taken to the Court of Appeals or the Court of Criminal Appeals, petition for discretionary review to the Court of Criminal Appeals, or any other form of appellate review, whether in state or federal court is not covered by this Legal Service Contract.
So in other words. It's only the lawyer fees you are paying for monthly.

Jason K
Banned

Post by Jason K »

I wonder if [pre-paid legal] is any better than ACLDN....

http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ACLDN does have a verifiable track record....

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”