am I going to have a citizenship problem?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

cprems
Posts in topic: 3

Re: am I going to have a citizenship problem?

Post by cprems »

WildBill wrote:
baldeagle wrote:I don't get it. He's a US citizen. Why does he need naturalization papers? Just check the box for Yes, I'm a citizen, and move on.
I have wondered the same. :headscratch
DPS asks where you were born, you answer any place other than the USA and it then triggers the requirement of "additional" paperwork. Its a pain but fairly easy to overcome.
04/01/2013 - Online application
06/22/2013 - Plastic in hand
75 days - mailbox to mailbox
03/17 - renewal - 42 days plastic in hand

HoserBoi
Posts in topic: 3

Post by HoserBoi »

Thank you Texas_Blaze, that was my concern. The instruction to not photo copy is pretty clear on my certificate.
Texas_Blaze wrote:
HoserBoi wrote:
cprems wrote:OP,

I had a similar issue as I wasn't born here but became naturalized.

I sent in a copy of my passport and a copy of my naturalization certificate (both in color) My passport was not expired. They accepted both without question.

I'd get my passport renewed and then send in both. It's what I did.
Do you have to send both, or will one or the other do?
I would be careful with making any copies of naturalization certificates. It states on those Do Not Copy. A passport was granted to you based on that certificate. No need to send in the certificate. I know a person that only sent US passport. That was all that was needed.

Ameer
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Ameer »

cprems wrote:DPS asks where you were born, you answer any place other than the USA and it then triggers the requirement of "additional" paperwork. Its a pain but fairly easy to overcome.
It's pretty easy to comply and provide documentation if you're squared away. :thumbs2:
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 1

Post by nightmare69 »

If DPS calls or sends you a letter asking if you are Marco from Tripolia, run.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Topic author
ferguson
Posts in topic: 8

Post by ferguson »

WildBill wrote:
baldeagle wrote:I don't get it. He's a US citizen. Why does he need naturalization papers? Just check the box for Yes, I'm a citizen, and move on.
I have wondered the same. :headscratch
because they're requesting "born out-of-country" documentation. If you were born in another country you must provide proof of citizenship (and a check mark in the "I am a citizen" box doesn't cut it. It's on the checklist. Like I said, there's no question as to my citizenship, however for this one and only one purpose (obtaining a Texas CHL) because of the wording of the law, the document I normally use when required to prove my citizenship was not acceptable because it expired. For every other purpose (including verification for employment) an expired Passport is acceptable, you just can't travel with it - citizenship doesn't expire, and I continue to be me after my Passport expires so for every other purpose an expired Passport is still valid for proof of citizenship. But the CHL statute requires an UNEXPIRED Passport. When I called DPS about it the very nice person on the phone said "yeah, it was a badly written requirement, but it affects so few people and it's so easy to address, that changing the wording hasn't really been a priority".

Naturalization papers are another of the accepted documents for ""born out of country" documentation. Because I was a minor when my parents were naturalized, I never got naturalization documents (at the time, they were not offered). Instead, I got a U.S. Passport. Now, I can request a naturalization certificate but they're like $300 and take months to process...and since I already have a Passport, I don't really need one since they serve the same purpose (other than during the renewal process when I send out my Passport every 10 years to get renewed).

I ended up doing an expedited Passport application, which cost an extra $60 or something - had my new Passport in less than 2 weeks. Problem solved!
Don't let the wonder of seeing a pig fly be overshadowed by the inevitable disappointment over the brevity of its flight.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”