am I going to have a citizenship problem?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ferguson
Posts in topic: 8

am I going to have a citizenship problem?

Post by ferguson »

Hi, everyone.

It's my first post to the forum.

My wife and I recently moved to Texas and started the application process for our CHL's. We had CHL's from GA but since GA doesn't issue out-of-state permits they expired when we became Texas residents. We both paid our application fees and took the required course, and when I was getting ready to send in our paperwork I noticed the "Born out of Country Documents" requirement at the bottom of the checklist.

I was not born in the U.S. My family immigrated legally from the USSR back in the 70's. Both my parents were naturalized before I turned 18 (making me a citizen)...then there was the 1986 Reagan amnesty which would have gotten me if my parents or I weren't naturalized...and I'm also married to a U.S. Citizen. I have a U.S Passport and used it to prove my citizenship when I applied (and received) my TX driver's license.

I was going to send in a copy of my U.S. Passport, but noticed that it expired! Am I going to have to go through a bunch of paperwork before sending in my application or will they just go by my driver's license information if I'm a TX resident?

If not, I'm either going to have spend a bunch of money and time renewing my Passport or getting a naturalization certificate (I'm more concerned about the wait, really).

Certificate of marriage and expired Passport (which are the only 2 documents I have available) are not on the list...but do I even need to worry about it since I just went through all the citizenship-proving stuff to get my driver's license?

thanks for any insight you might have into this -
Don't let the wonder of seeing a pig fly be overshadowed by the inevitable disappointment over the brevity of its flight.

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Re: am I going to have a citizenship problem?

Post by Jumping Frog »

Don't know your answer, but I see it is your first post so WELCOME!
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

WildBill
Posts in topic: 5

Post by WildBill »

Jumping Frog wrote:Don't know your answer, but I see it is your first post so WELCOME!
:iagree:
It seems to me that getting naturalization certificate and passport issues in order would be a higher priority that applying for a CHL. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

apostate

Post by apostate »

DPS has said in writing they will accept "a valid (unexpired) and legible, front and back copy" of a US Passport, Certificate of U.S. Citizenship, Certificate of U.S. Naturalization, or Green Card (I-551) as proof. I think somebody here was successful getting DPS to accept their wife's expired passport but you're rolling the dice since DPS specifies an unexpired document.

You could send your CHL application and Passport renewal at the same time and you'll have a head start if DPS asks for a current one. If you don't need a passport for air travel, I like the US Passport Card because of cost and size. I use mine most often for I-9 proof as a consultant.

CHLLady

Post by CHLLady »

You definitely want your naturalization document. I'm not sure how you got your passport without it. Save yourself further headaches and get your documents in order now. :thumbs2:

And welcome to the forum and welcome to Texas! :txflag:
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

Topic author
ferguson

Post by ferguson »

thanks for the welcome!

We are so happy to be in Texas - I've lived in Commiefornia for 22 years and finally voted with my feet and my wallet.

I intend to renew my Passport. How I got my passport was simple - I got it when my parents were naturalized (I was about 10 years old). Ever since then, I just re-new it. I CAN get my certificate of naturalization, but it's like $350 and as long as I have and can get renewed Passports, why bother? I work as a consultant too. It just kind of slipped my mind as these things tend to do until I pulled it out for the CHL. At least my wife can get hers. I was just unsure if I needed to get my new passport before sending in my paperwork or send in what I have (the Passport expired in August so it's not THAT old) with the expired Passport and they'll let me know if there's a problem. I've never been through the process in Texas so I don't know if they'll just take my money and throw out the application of if they'll actually work with me. It wasn't a problem with my driver's license (which also technically required an unexpired Passport, but they took it anyway). For my job, an expired Passport was acceptable so it wasn't a problem.
Don't let the wonder of seeing a pig fly be overshadowed by the inevitable disappointment over the brevity of its flight.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

thug_ferguson wrote:thanks for the welcome!

We are so happy to be in Texas - I've lived in Commiefornia for 22 years and finally voted with my feet and my wallet.

I intend to renew my Passport. How I got my passport was simple - I got it when my parents were naturalized (I was about 10 years old). Ever since then, I just re-new it. I CAN get my certificate of naturalization, but it's like $350 and as long as I have and can get renewed Passports, why bother? I work as a consultant too. It just kind of slipped my mind as these things tend to do until I pulled it out for the CHL. At least my wife can get hers. I was just unsure if I needed to get my new passport before sending in my paperwork or send in what I have (the Passport expired in August so it's not THAT old) with the expired Passport and they'll let me know if there's a problem. I've never been through the process in Texas so I don't know if they'll just take my money and throw out the application of if they'll actually work with me. It wasn't a problem with my driver's license (which also technically required an unexpired Passport, but they took it anyway). For my job, an expired Passport was acceptable so it wasn't a problem.
It seems to me that getting naturalization certificate and passport issues in order would be a higher priority that applying for a CHL. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

WildBill wrote:
Jumping Frog wrote:Don't know your answer, but I see it is your first post so WELCOME!
:iagree:
Uh Huh.

TexasVet

Post by TexasVet »

Oddly enough if you look at a certificate of naturalization it clearly states in print that photocopying of the certificate is not allowed.

Topic author
ferguson

Post by ferguson »

just to be clear, I do not have any naturalization or Passport "issues". My Passport simply expired. This doesn't make me a non-citizen or change anything. There is no problem. I will renew it like I have several times before. I'm in no danger or getting kicked out of the country and there is no question as to my citizenship. My only concern was whether or not this is going to delay the processing of my CHL. I know the Passport renewal takes about 6 weeks. I was just wondering if anyone had experience with this sort of thing (and of course the office is closed until Monday when I can just call them and ask) and if I should just send in my expired Passport photocopy and DPS will contact me if it's not good enough or if they'll just throw the application in the trash, keep my money, and make me re-apply in which case I should wait until I get the new Passport before mailing in my paperwork.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

thug_ferguson wrote:just to be clear, I do not have any naturalization or Passport "issues". My Passport simply expired. This doesn't make me a non-citizen or change anything. There is no problem. I will renew it like I have several times before. I'm in no danger or getting kicked out of the country and there is no question as to my citizenship. My only concern was whether or not this is going to delay the processing of my CHL. I know the Passport renewal takes about 6 weeks. I was just wondering if anyone had experience with this sort of thing (and of course the office is closed until Monday when I can just call them and ask) and if I should just send in my expired Passport photocopy and DPS will contact me if it's not good enough or if they'll just throw the application in the trash, keep my money, and make me re-apply in which case I should wait until I get the new Passport before mailing in my paperwork.
It doesn't have to take 6 weeks, if you're willing to pay. There are places that offer passport services and can get it done in as little as a day or two.

Several years ago, my boss thought he might need to send me overseas, but my passport (issued while I was still on active duty) had expired. He decided to spend the big bucks to get it done fast. As I recall, they had a mid-priced option to get it done in a week.

Here's one example. They say they can do it in 8-12 days for $99, all the way up to 24 hours for $299. http://www.rushmypassport.com/?gclid=CM ... 7AodnUwArg

This isn't the one I used, just the first link when I googled "passport services".
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Go the local Federal place where they issue the passport and you can get it as fast as same day for nominal fee.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
ferguson

Post by ferguson »

Beiruty wrote:Go the local Federal place where they issue the passport and you can get it as fast as same day for nominal fee.
I like this option - Didn't think of it but you're right...I don't quite need the "big bucks" overnight option (my parents did it once for a trip) but if I can get it done relatively quickly for an extra $50 or so...that's a winner.

TomV

Post by TomV »

thug_ferguson wrote:...(snip)...and if I should just send in my expired Passport photocopy and DPS will contact me if it's not good enough or if they'll just throw the application in the trash, keep my money, and make me re-apply in which case I should wait until I get the new Passport before mailing in my paperwork.
No DPS will not just chuck your app and make you reapply. They will hold your app until they have received all of your information to their satisfaction and they can make a decision to issue or not.

Send it in and see what happens. I admit, I don't understand why you cannot just take the Texas class, send in your Ga license and get a Texas after a background check.

That would make sense to me.
http://www.3atatraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

healthinsp wrote:
thug_ferguson wrote:...(snip)...and if I should just send in my expired Passport photocopy and DPS will contact me if it's not good enough or if they'll just throw the application in the trash, keep my money, and make me re-apply in which case I should wait until I get the new Passport before mailing in my paperwork.
No DPS will not just chuck your app and make you reapply. They will hold your app until they have received all of your information to their satisfaction and they can make a decision to issue or not.

Send it in and see what happens. I admit, I don't understand why you cannot just take the Texas class, send in your Ga license and get a Texas after a background check.

That would make sense to me.
It all boils down to the "Born out of Country Documents". It appears than people born outside the borders of the US are required to continuously provide proof of citizenship even after becoming a citizen.
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”