Requesting an ambulance?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
CoffeeNut
Posts in topic: 5

Requesting an ambulance?

Post by CoffeeNut »

This is something that wasn't covered in my CHL class and I haven't seen it on here. What I do know is that my CHL instructor was insistent on saying as little as possible to 911 in the event that we had to use our weapon. She stated that we should "state your name, that you have been the victim of a crime and require immediate assistance at such and such location - then hang up".

Hypothetically speaking I just popped a guy for trying to rob me at gunpoint. He's bleeding out on the sidewalk while I'm on with 911. Should I tell 911 that I need an ambulance? Should I tell 911 that there have been injuries and let them decide what to send out?

Basically is there any requirement to request an ambulance for the injured party? I'm not sure I'm comfortable kicking rocks while someone dies in front of me regardless of what they just tried to do (if I've been able to secure the scene anyway) however I also don't want my asking for an ambulance being seen as some sort of guilt for having to do what was necessary to save my life.
Last edited by CoffeeNut on Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

Keith B
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Requesting an ambulance?

Post by Keith B »

CoffeeNut wrote:This is something that wasn't covered in my CHL class and I haven't seen it on here. What I do know is that my CHL instructor was insistent on saying as little as possible to 911 in the event that we had to use our weapon. She stated that we should "state your name, that you have been the victim of a crime and require immediate assistance at such and such location - then hang up".

Hypothetically speaking I just popped a guy for trying to rob me at gunpoint. He's bleeding out on the sidewalk while I'm on with 911. Should I tell 911 that I need an ambulance? Should I tell 911 that there have been injuries and let them decide what to send out?

Basically is there any requirement to request an ambulance for the injured party? I'm not sure I'm comfortable kicking rocks while someone dies in front of me regardless of what they just tried to do (if I've been able to secure the scene anyway) however I also don't want my asking for an ambulance being seen as some sort of guilt for having to do what was necessary to save my life.
The advice is to tell 911 'My name is XXXX. I am at XXXXX location. I just had to shoot a man (woman) that tried to rob me at gunpoint. Please send police and an ambulance.' That is all you need to say. Have your gun put away when they arrive. If the scene is not safe, move from there, but tell the police where you are and when they arrive they can go back to the other scene.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

Keith B wrote: The advice is to tell 911 'My name is XXXX. I am at XXXXX location. I just had to shoot a man (woman) that tried to rob me at gunpoint. Please send police and an ambulance.' That is all you need to say. Have your gun put away when they arrive. If the scene is not safe, move from there, but tell the police where you are and when they arrive they can go back to the other scene.
Thanks Keith! I figured it was as simple as that but it hadn't crossed my mind until the other day and since then I couldn't really come up with an answer. :txflag:

Keith B
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Keith B »

And the reason you request an ambulance is it shows you are concerned for the person you have shot. You just had to shoot them to stop them, and have no animosity toward them. (Whether you really do or don't is irrelevant.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

WildBill
Posts in topic: 10

Post by WildBill »

Keith B wrote:
CoffeeNut wrote:This is something that wasn't covered in my CHL class and I haven't seen it on here. What I do know is that my CHL instructor was insistent on saying as little as possible to 911 in the event that we had to use our weapon. She stated that we should "state your name, that you have been the victim of a crime and require immediate assistance at such and such location - then hang up".

The advice is to tell 911 'My name is XXXX. I am at XXXXX location. I just had to shoot a man (woman) that tried to rob me at gunpoint. Please send police and an ambulance.' That is all you need to say. Have your gun put away when they arrive. If the scene is not safe, move from there, but tell the police where you are and when they arrive they can go back to the other scene.
:iagree: This was covered in my CHL class. The [small] difference was the instructor said to request ambulance first, and then the police. He also said to request an ambulance, even if you think the person is dead. Since you are not a doctor you can not declare a person dead. Also you may have noticed that KeithB said "man", not boy, child, scumbag, etc.
NRA Endowment Member

Abraham
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Abraham »

Who pays for the ambulance?

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Abraham wrote:Who pays for the ambulance?
Good question.

I am not certain, but I would think it would be the person who needed the medical attention, rather than the caller.

Since they were incapacitated, you would be watching out for their welfare.
NRA Endowment Member

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

CoffeeNut wrote:
Keith B wrote: The advice is to tell 911 'My name is XXXX. I am at XXXXX location. I just had to shoot a man (woman) that tried to rob me at gunpoint. Please send police and an ambulance.' That is all you need to say. Have your gun put away when they arrive. If the scene is not safe, move from there, but tell the police where you are and when they arrive they can go back to the other scene.
Thanks Keith! I figured it was as simple as that but it hadn't crossed my mind until the other day and since then I couldn't really come up with an answer. :txflag:

Have your gun put away and be prepared to be taken into custody at gun point. You will be disarmed and they will then sort it out after the scene is safe. This will take a while.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

texanjoker wrote:
CoffeeNut wrote:

Have your gun put away and be prepared to be taken into custody at gun point. You will be disarmed and they will then sort it out after the scene is safe. This will take a while.
:iagree: Even though you know you are the Good Guy, the officers responding to the 911 call don't.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

WildBill wrote: :iagree: This was covered in my CHL class. The [small] difference was the instructor said to request ambulance first, and then the police. He also said to request an ambulance, even if you think the person is dead. Since you are not a doctor you can not declare a person dead. Also you may have noticed that KeithB said "man", not boy, child, scumbag, etc.

I didn't get any ambulance instruction in my class which is why I found myself wondering about it after seeing that video on here the other day where the Sergeant hit the guy (fatally) but was still able to move for a bit.

Topic author
CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

texanjoker wrote:
CoffeeNut wrote:

Definitely understand that aspect since officer safety is paramount especially when responding to a shots fired type of call. Frankly I'd just be happy to be alive so I wouldn't mind a little wait :cheers2:

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

CoffeeNut wrote:
texanjoker wrote:
CoffeeNut wrote:

Definitely understand that aspect since officer safety is paramount especially when responding to a shots fired type of call. Frankly I'd just be happy to be alive so I wouldn't mind a little wait :cheers2:
IMO, this is as much for your safety as it is and for the officer.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

WildBill wrote:
CoffeeNut wrote:
texanjoker wrote:
CoffeeNut wrote:

I meant the guns being pointed at me bit. That's not for my safety but I do understand it.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

CoffeeNut wrote:
WildBill wrote:
CoffeeNut wrote:
texanjoker wrote:
CoffeeNut wrote:

I meant the guns being pointed at me bit. That's not for my safety but I do understand it.
I was primarily speaking about being "prepared to be taken into custody at gun point." This is not the time become indignant and ask why you are being disarmed and argue about your constitutional right to carry. :lol:
NRA Endowment Member

MoJo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MoJo »

Charles Cotton told us in one of his deadly force seminars to always request the ambulance first even if it's obvious the person is dead. 911 records all calls.

Some of the other things you need to do beside putting your gun away is make a mental note of any witnesses and to keep your mouth shut until you have your attorney present. Asking for legal advise is not an admission of guilt. :tiphat:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”