American Airlines Center vs. Conceal Carry

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Dirthawking
Posts in topic: 2

American Airlines Center vs. Conceal Carry

Post by Dirthawking »

The wife and I went this last Saturday to see Jeff Dunham live. I could not find any postings for the AAC on http://www.texas3006.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and was pretty sure it is city owned anyway. We looked on thier website and did not see anything. We even looked at our tickets to see if there was anything on them. Nothing.

We carried away.

Parked in the garage across the street and walked over. Saw a "No Weapons of any kind" sign on the wall next to the doors. Walk in and see they are checking bags and wanding people. We stopped. Guy with a wand waves us over as there is nobody waiting in his line. Wife asks what we should do. I said come on and reach for my wallet. Wife does same (no purse). Guy smiles, shakes his head no, waves come on in and steps to the side. Pretty sure he knew exactly what we were reaching for. He wanded the people behind us.
Some people simply need a high five, to the face, with a chair!

jbarn

Re: American Airlines Center vs. Conceal Carry

Post by jbarn »

AAC is actually not owned by the city. They can and do post per event. I have been to posted and non posted events there. I attended a Promise Keepers rally and it was posted :headscratch
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

Topic author
Dirthawking

Post by Dirthawking »

Technically it is owned by Center Operating Company L.P. (The company is a partnership owned by Mavericks owner Mark Cuban and Dallas Stars owner Tom Hicks), but was built in part with public funds from a new hotel tax and a rental car tax. Seeing as tax payers helped fund the build, makes it off limits to 3006 to me.

And according to Wiki, oh how we all love wiki, it is owned by the city of Dallas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Airlines_Center" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:mrgreen:
Some people simply need a high five, to the face, with a chair!

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RoyGBiv »

jbarn wrote:AAC is actually not owned by the city.
Incorrect.

http://www.dallascad.org/AcctDetailCom. ... 00A0010000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Click image for larger version.
AAC.jpg
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

RoyGBiv wrote:
jbarn wrote:AAC is actually not owned by the city.
Incorrect.

http://www.dallascad.org/AcctDetailCom. ... 00A0010000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Click image for larger version.
AAC.jpg

That's good, it changed. I researched this a while back and then it was owned by Center Operating Company.

I have to amend my response. I just checked DCCAD, and found this;

go to the link below and search the address.....
http://www.dallascad.org/SearchAddr.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

People smarter than me would have to figure it out. For me, if they post I certainly would not press the issue.
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

rmr24

Post by rmr24 »

Looks to me the City of Dallas owns the real property, all the other entities are being taxed for business personal property that is located on the property.

Wes

Post by Wes »

Doesn't change the fact that they typically wand and won't let you carry. Nothing we can do about it either until the law passes making it illegal to do so. I've carried when they were to a ding and been blocked when they were.
Alliance Arsenal - Firearms and transfers in north Ft. Worth

Rrash

Post by Rrash »

Has anything changed over the last couple years as to AAC's protocol on CHL's? I'm headed to see Sir Paul tonight and am curious if anyone has been able to carry past the security guards after being wanded.

I'm not holding my breath.

chamberc

Post by chamberc »

Rrash wrote:Has anything changed over the last couple years as to AAC's protocol on CHL's? I'm headed to see Sir Paul tonight and am curious if anyone has been able to carry past the security guards after being wanded.

I'm not holding my breath.
They still wand. They can verbally ask you not to carry. You get to chose what to do in that situation.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

LAYGO

Post by LAYGO »

I went to the Rockets beating the My Little Ponies game last week. I knew better to carry, but didn't think about my spare mag & EDC knife. I was parked 3-4 blocks away & just didn't feel like walking back. They asked you to empty your pockets & hold your hands over head. I held my mag/knife pretty high! ;)
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG
Anderson AR15 pistol w/Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26! Renewed 2018

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

The AAC frustrates me because of their policy on this issue for non-sporting events. However, I know better than to even try or push the issue because my pockets are not that deep. The last couple of times I came by some hockey tickets they didn't even wand me. I didn't have a coat or jacket on and my wife wasn't carrying her purse. It might be different for a non-sporting event, but if I had been carrying illegally underneath my hockey jersey IWB they would have never known and just let me right on in.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

AlaskanInTexas

Post by AlaskanInTexas »

Sorry to resurrect this thread - any change in policy? Headed to Neil Diamond tonight and am going to be walking from my office and back, which is a recipe for disaster in these parts.

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

Necro posting, I realize, but figured it was better than starting a new thread.

I'm going to AAC to attend a Christian music concert. Certainly not statutorily off limits. Needless to say, I would prefer to be armed. However, I will be attending with a group of friends, and I don't want to make them wait while I walk back to my car. Sooooo, a few questions:

Am I correct that it is city owned property?

Are they in the habit of posting non sporting events and excluding license holders?

Has anyone been to a similar event and been denied entry due to carrying?

Any help would be much appreciated.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

The responses in this thread are confusing to me.

Is this another of many examples where they insist you not carry, but if you produce an LTC they don't attempt to disarm you?

Or, LTC or not, they disarm you or should I say you allow them too...because you're not willing to walk away before being disarmed...?

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

That's kind of my confusion as well. I used the search function before posting, but the posts I could find really weren't conclusive. I just want to know what to expect. I am not above attending functions at which I have to disarm. I realize some people are unwilling to do so, and that is certainly their prerogative. I strongly prefer to not to, but there are situations in which I will do so, such as going out to a baseball game or voting. In this instance, I have already committed to attend this event; I just need to know if I have to leave my gun in my car.

ETA: This is from their website, which I dug through for a bit to try to find rules specific to sporting or non-sporting events. As far as I can tell, there is just one code of conduct list.

"Firearms and/or Concealed Handguns with or without a license are not permitted at the American Airlines Center. If any guest arrives at the facility with a firearm or handgun, you will be instructed to return the weapon to your car. The only persons allowed to bring firearms into the American Airlines Center are credentialed local, state and federal law enforcement officers with proper ID. The American Airlines Center does not have a weapons check-in. We will not take possession of firearms under any circumstances."

So I guess I will leave my gun in the car. I will also have to leave my pocket knife behind as they prohibit any knives "over 2 inches in length." Since it seems to be city property, I will be documenting my visit for purposes of submitting a complaint to the AG.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”