CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

txnative1951
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Restaurant question

Post by txnative1951 »

Jumping Frog wrote:
txnative1951 wrote:
jbarn wrote:I see that often in forms. What, exactly, is the reference to the question at hand? Are you suggesting that if the location is 51% and he keeps his gun concealed it is OK to knowingly and intentionally commit a felony? Otherwise I miss the point.
As they say, there's "legal" and there's "moral" -- sometimes they even coincide. Some will say that violating a "law" that is an obvious infringement of their 2nd Amendment rights is the moral thing to do. As in all things in life, you take your chances and pay the price if you are wrong.
A message advocating that it is OK to commit illegal behavior will never be acceptable in these forums.

Actually, any such message violates Forum Rule 4:
4. No posting of messages promoting illegal conduct.
I'll note in passing that oldgringo clarified his message to make clear he was not promoting illegal actions. I am not clear on whether your message does or not, but it sure smells like it.
Sorry, but I suspect that you attributed a deeper meaning to my post than I intended. I'm much too shallow of a person to have "deeper meanings" in posts or anything else I say in life. After numerous decades, my wife is even finally realizing this. :)

She finally realized that men and women think differently when I showed her this:

http://weknowmemes.com/2011/10/his-her- ... e-same-day" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Actually, my post was intended more as a warning. We have to remember -- no matter how much we "know" that we are doing the moral or "right" thing, the government has a lot more time and money to make our lives miserable than we do to defend ourselves from said government actions. Like with many other things in life, what *some* people choose to do might be completely different than what others might choose to do.

Was the Dred Scott decision by the SCOTUS correct? What about segregation? It was "the law" at one time in many parts of the country. Were some people who opposed it and broke the law "wrong"? If someone believes strongly enough in something, they are not going to obey some "law" that they truly believe is morally reprehensible. What they need to realize though is that the government does not like people to challenge its power and in many cases will dedicate a significant amount of effort into making your life very miserable. Do you want to be on the receiving end of that "effort"?
Last edited by txnative1951 on Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

gringo pistolero wrote:
txnative1951 wrote:As they say, there's "legal" and there's "moral" -- sometimes they even coincide. Some will say that violating a "law" that is an obvious infringement of their 2nd Amendment rights is the moral thing to do.
I disagree. If a statute violates the constitution it is by definition unconstitutional. The unlawful statute is no law.

:patriot:
Until the statute in question is found to be unlawful or unconstitutional, violating said law makes you a criminal by definition. And advocating disregarding a law that we disagree with is still advocating breaking the law - which is a violation of this forum's rules.

If 'concealed means concealed' was in reference to carrying in an establishment that has posted the incorrect TABC signage, then I agree. Don't make a fuss about it & go on about your business. But if that statement was in regard to disobeying whatever law you happen to disagree with, I think you ate going to eventually have a very hard go of it.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Oldgringo »

TexasCajun wrote:
gringo pistolero wrote:
txnative1951 wrote:As they say, there's "legal" and there's "moral" -- sometimes they even coincide. Some will say that violating a "law" that is an obvious infringement of their 2nd Amendment rights is the moral thing to do.
I disagree. If a statute violates the constitution it is by definition unconstitutional. The unlawful statute is no law.

:patriot:
Until the statute in question is found to be unlawful or unconstitutional, violating said law makes you a criminal by definition. And advocating disregarding a law that we disagree with is still advocating breaking the law - which is a violation of this forum's rules.

If 'concealed means concealed' was in reference to carrying in an establishment that has posted the incorrect TABC signage, then I agree. Don't make a fuss about it & go on about your business. But if that statement was in regard to disobeying whatever law you happen to disagree with, I think you ate going to eventually have a very hard go of it.
Good grief! Firstly, I don't go into 51% joints. I can't stand the smoke OR the cost of alcohol by the drink. Secondly, It's my business where and how I carry because 'concealed is concealed'. I know where I can and shan't carry legally and the consequences of error. Some of you guys need to get a life and quit playing like you're the "CHL police" and interpreter of the rules. :mrgreen:

Actually, if one has been to a half-way decent CHL class, it may be like my dear mother often told me, "...if you have to ask, you already know the answer...". "rlol" Dang, I miss her.....

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

:iagree: "Tell it to the judge."
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”