CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
GotSig?
Posts in topic: 2

One in the chamber or not?

Post by GotSig? »

All,

I am new to concealed carrying and was wondering if I should keep a cartridge in the chamber when I carry? I carry a p226 which does have a hammer, so I have concerns about carrying with one in the chamber. I could use some veteran advice :).

Thanks,
Paul

trentwhite778
Posts in topic: 1

Re: One in the chamber or not?

Post by trentwhite778 »

Several threads for this exact topic. A quick search will give you lots of answers.

The_Busy_Mom
Posts in topic: 6

Post by The_Busy_Mom »

http://viewtopic.php?f=7&t=70117&hilit=round+in+chamber

This thread has some other threads linked in it as well.

:txflag: TBM
Texas CHL Instructor / NRA Certified Instructor
Final Shot Armory - Specializing in Firearms Sales & Transfers, NFA Sales
$20 Transfers for Current TX CHL Holders, Military, Teachers, LEO / $25 Everyone else
http://www.FinalShotUS.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dreamliner

Post by Dreamliner »

The short answer is yes. There are a lot of info that would support this.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Welcome to the Forum. You will have to do what your comfortable with right now. You may check into getting a different handgun that you are comfortable carrying with a round in the chamber.

Here is a thread on carrying a round in the chamber.
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=39886" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Yes, one in the chamber.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

This is what I normally write when this question is asked: There is a video of a jeweler who is attempting to rack the slide of his gun as he is being shot by armed robbers. It is probably on line some where. It is tragic. The last part of the video the robber takes the gun from his dieing hand. If you watch it you will always have one in the pipe if you are carrying.

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

I mainly carry revolvers so this is not an issue. But I have gotten used to relying on a stiff trigger pull as my only safety. I also own a Sig P228, which (like your P226) has a stiff double action trigger pull for the first shot, assuming that the hammer is down. I consider this an analogous safety measure, and that is how I carry it -- one in the chamber, with the hammer down. The first shot will be an expected stiff trigger pull (unless I have time to cock the hammer). The next thirteen shots will be in crisp single action.
Last edited by J.R.@A&M on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Mahzik

Post by Mahzik »

In the last couple of days, Texas Concealed Carry on Facebook posted a very graphic CCTV video of a jewelry store robbery in Agra, India with the caption - Think you have time to chamber a round? Think again. The store clerk was shot multiple times as he repeatedly attempted to rack the slide on his weapon to get a round into the chamber to defend himself. I've been carrying for a couple of years now and carry condition one at all times and trust and rely on my weapon' safety systems - whether that is a mechanical safeties on my 1911, double action first pull or stiker fire safe fire systems. Together with a holster that properly covers the trigger and lots of training and you are should be good to go.
Mahzik
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Texsquatch

Post by Texsquatch »

GotSig? wrote:All,

I carry a p226 which does have a hammer, so I have concerns about carrying with one in the chamber.
Does your comment about having a hammer make you think that this gun is some how less safe than others? Your Sig is a DA/SA pistol and has some built in safety features. I wouldn't carry it cocked like a 1911, but you should be fine carrying one in the pipe with the hammer down. Just practice practice practice and get familiar with your guns so you know how to safely carry. You'll get used to it as you build confidence.

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

yes, but only when YOU are comfortable carrying that way.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

GotSig? wrote:All,

I am new to concealed carrying and was wondering if I should keep a cartridge in the chamber when I carry? I carry a p226 which does have a hammer, so I have concerns about carrying with one in the chamber. I could use some veteran advice :).

Thanks,
Paul

226's are specifically designed to be carried with one in the pipe. Its DA/SA for that reason.
If you're uncomfortable, carry for a week in DA mode but without a round in the chamber. Check it for a week. You'll realize you're absolutely fine. Thats what I did. Just remember:

*You need a good holster that covers the trigger and is stiff leather/kydex around said holster. There are lots of holster threads which will immediately help you out. (Galco, DeSantis, Comp-Tac, Crossbreed are just some good manufacturers).

*When drawing AND HOLSTERING, keep your fingers and clothing clear of the trigger and the holster.

TomsTXCHL
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TomsTXCHL »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:226's are specifically designed to be carried with one in the pipe. Its DA/SA for that reason.
If you're uncomfortable, carry for a week in DA mode but without a round in the chamber. Check it for a week. You'll realize you're absolutely fine. Thats what I did. Just remember:

*You need a good holster that covers the trigger and is stiff leather/kydex around said holster. There are lots of holster threads which will immediately help you out. (Galco, DeSantis, Comp-Tac, Crossbreed are just some good manufacturers).

*When drawing AND HOLSTERING, keep your fingers and clothing clear of the trigger and the holster.
Mine's a P938, and I just got a tommysgunpack and asked in this thread whether I should additionally carry the Sig in a "pocket holster" such that the trigger is covered. If you have an opinion about this I would appreciate it.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

TomsTXCHL wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:226's are specifically designed to be carried with one in the pipe. Its DA/SA for that reason.

Mine's a P938, and I just got a tommysgunpack and asked in this thread whether I should additionally carry the Sig in a "pocket holster" such that the trigger is covered. If you have an opinion about this I would appreciate it.
Simply no. Tommysgunpack is an excellent choice, no need for holster.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

OK just posted. If the 938 is SA only I'd definitely practice with the safety on and see if you can put a pocket holster in and draw clear. try it for a few weeks without one in the pop but in cocked mode if SA with safety or DA in decocked form.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”