Carrying while operating vehicle

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

bayouhazard
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Carrying while operating vehicle

Post by bayouhazard »

I think the problem is in the other direction. If someone doesn't have a CHL (not LEO, etc) then they can carry concealed on body in their vehicle, but are breaking the law if they get out of their vehicle with a concealed handgun to pump gas, etc

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

skebobebop wrote:Hello everyone,
I've been a Texas CHL holder for about a year now. I heard a rumor today at work that we could not have our weapons concealed on us while we were operating/in control of our vehicles. Is this true? I looked into the Texas CHL handbook and I saw on page 36 and 42 about it being illegal if it is in plain view. In my opinion, concealed on my person is not plain view. Am I correct on thinking this? Thanks for any guidance.

Are we talking about your personal vehicle or a company vehicle? If it's a company vehicle, they can prohibit employees from carrying weapons while operating a company vehicle. Perhaps that's what they meant? If it's your own vehicle, I don't think they can restrict you — But IANAL . . .
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

E10

Post by E10 »

Sounds to me it was just a conversation, happened to be at work, concerning carrying in a vehicle. The MPA is clear, as has already been pointed out by our esteemed colleagues.

However, I advise against placing a handgun on the vehicle seat and covering it with a towel. In an accident, or even just a quick stop, there's no tellin' where it might end up. Secure in a holster is best, or the console or glove box.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”