CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Running Arrow Bill
Posts in topic: 1

Have A Hearing Problem??

Post by Running Arrow Bill »

Got to thinking... lol.

If someone in a CHL class has a hearing problem (that is not corrected by a hearing aid) would this be a disqualifier in the shooting exercise?

For example, a person only has hearing in one ear. Thus, hearing the instructor's instructions for each of the exercises (number of shots, sequences, etc.) is a problem and the instructor doesn't talk loud enough for him/her to hear clearly...

Obviously, if a person has very poor vision that is uncorrected, it would be a disqualifier since he/she couldn't accurately and safely acquire the target.

Just curious. Any comments??
Running Arrow Farm, LLC
Wellington, TX. 79095
longhorncattle2013@gmail.ocom
Registered Texas Longhorn Cattle

n5wd

Re: Have A Hearing Problem??

Post by n5wd »

Running Arrow Bill wrote:Got to thinking... lol.

If someone in a CHL class has a hearing problem (that is not corrected by a hearing aid) would this be a disqualifier in the shooting exercise?

For example, a person only has hearing in one ear. Thus, hearing the instructor's instructions for each of the exercises (number of shots, sequences, etc.) is a problem and the instructor doesn't talk loud enough for him/her to hear clearly...

Obviously, if a person has very poor vision that is uncorrected, it would be a disqualifier since he/she couldn't accurately and safely acquire the target.

Just curious. Any comments??
In keeping with the spirit of allowing people to do their best, why not run the person separately with the instructor on his good hearing side.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

We frequently have students that have exceptionally poor hearing. Combine that with a set of non-electronic muffs and they can't hear the range instructions. I will usually stand close to that shooter to make sure they get the instructions for the next volley of shots. I will also give hand signals and even tapped them on the shoulder for the fire command if required.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

jocat54

Post by jocat54 »

I can't hear with a darn. When I took my class I would have to lift the ear muffs up to hear the instructor and then put them back on while shooting. The instructor would usually move closer to me after he saw what I was doing.
"All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing"

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

RKlenka

Post by RKlenka »

Had one come through in a group who could not hear. With it being a group class it made it difficult because he could not hear the lecture nor the range commands. What we had to do was set up a private class just for him.
Texas CHL Instructor - NRA Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Black powder rifle, Black powder pistol
Russian Martial Art Systema Instructor, American Ninjutsu Instructor, CTCTG Instructor/Facilitator
http://www.fortworthcombatives.com

strider67

Post by strider67 »

I would think if it were me lacking in one of those areas, I would make sure they had the means to facilitate my needs. Otherwise, a disservice would be provided to and by both parties. I am not an instructor, but all of the ones I have met would bend over backwards to try to accommodate...
"When things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plum, mad-dog mean. Cuz' if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win...that's just the way it is." - The Outlaw Josey Wales

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

Keith B wrote:We frequently have students that have exceptionally poor hearing. Combine that with a set of non-electronic muffs and they can't hear the range instructions. I will usually stand close to that shooter to make sure they get the instructions for the next volley of shots. I will also give hand signals and even tapped them on the shoulder for the fire command if required.

Keith, I have done the same. I even brought in an RSO to stand by the student and tap him on the shoulder as a command to fire as I called out.
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

I have had several who were hearing impaired.

A) I use an electronic megaphone to call instructions
B) One of my range safety officers stands close enough to give hand signals to aid in course of fire
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

pancho

Post by pancho »

Turning targets like DPS uses would solve the problem. Maybe not so quick or cheap though. :lol:

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

jbarn wrote:
Keith B wrote:We frequently have students that have exceptionally poor hearing. Combine that with a set of non-electronic muffs and they can't hear the range instructions. I will usually stand close to that shooter to make sure they get the instructions for the next volley of shots. I will also give hand signals and even tapped them on the shoulder for the fire command if required.

Keith, I have done the same. I even brought in an RSO to stand by the student and tap him on the shoulder as a command to fire as I called out.
The last class I took, the instructor, a long time friend and aware of my capabilities and qualifications, asked me to do just that. I fired in the first relay of shooters and then acted as a "repeater" for the range officer's commands for the person in the second relay who could not hear. He also used a little megaphone to give all of the commands.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

If an instructor foresees having hearing impaired students from time to time, he could invest in one or two pair of inexpensive electronic earmuffs, such as these.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/213541 ... uctFinding
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Harbor Freight Tool is your friend.

They have affordable Bullhorns. and electronic muffs. :tiphat:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

WiMo

Post by WiMo »

I am hard of hearing myself (profoundly deaf in my left ear and severely impaired in my right). I do wear hearing aids. During the shooting part of the course, I had my aids out with the ear protection, but I made sure my instructor knew and we kept eye contact throughout his commands. Its all about communication. Dont ever let anyone say you cant do something because of your shortcomings.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

AndyC wrote:
Running Arrow Bill wrote:Just curious. Any comments??
What? ;-)
JUST CURIOUS. ANY COMMENTS??? :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”