51% sign at the [Pre-paid legal service] Meeting

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

MotherBear
Posts in topic: 3

Re: 51% sign at the [Pre-paid legal service] Meeting

Post by MotherBear »

Keith B wrote:Sounds like they were trying get a new crop of customers that would need their services due violating the 51% rule. :evil2:

All in all, pretty dumb mistake by a legal group wanting to defend people on CHL related violations. :banghead:
IIRC, their terms state that if you're caught somewhere you shouldn't be (30.06, 51%, school, etc.), you're on your own. They won't defend you for actually breaking the law. Of course, one might hope there would be an exception in this case had charges been brought against anyone.

I'd be interested to hear what they have to say regarding their choice of venue.

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

There is a joke someone in here, I just can't put my finger on it.

"Two attorneys walk into a bar (51% location) and invite 200 CHL holders to try to sell their expertise in CHL laws and defense. In the process every CHL'er they invited who entered the meeting armed committed a felony."

Ugh. If I didn't think [pre-paid legal] (and others) were clowns to begin with, this has definitely sealed the deal for me.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

jbarn
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jbarn »

It may well be that the bar area is diagrammed off from the rest of the hall. Could persons take drinks into and out of the bar area?

Before we all jump to conclusions we should have facts, shouldn't we?
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

steveincowtown wrote:There is a joke someone in here, I just can't put my finger on it.

"Two attorneys walk into a bar (51% location) and invite 200 CHL holders to try to sell their expertise in CHL laws and defense. In the process every CHL'er they invited who entered the meeting armed committed a felony."

Ugh. If I didn't think [pre-paid legal] (and others) were clowns to begin with, this has definitely sealed the deal for me.
You make that decision without knowing if the bar area is the licensed area, or if the entire hall is. I imagine they knew what they were doing.
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

Divided Attention
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Divided Attention »

The bar area at restaurants and bowling alleys are posted 51% as well, but that doesn't make the whole facility off limits.
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Divided Attention wrote:The bar area at restaurants and bowling alleys are posted 51% as well, but that doesn't make the whole facility off limits.
If the bar is given a 51% license, it does unless the bar area is marked off on the license application. If the bar is owned by the primary business, then the restaurant or bowling alley is not likely to be 51%. If it is a contract location, then the bar is probably 51%. That is when the license for the premises comes into play.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
howdy
Posts in topic: 5

Post by howdy »

This is the response I got from [Pre-paid legal service]:

Dear Mr. Howdy:

Thanks for attending the [pre-paid legal] Willis seminar I hope that you enjoyed it. I think everyone was surprised to see a 51% sign at the back of the hall. You are correct that at the point a person would have noticed the sign, that all CHL carriers should have returned to their cars to put away their concealed handguns. You are also correct in that the sign applied to the entire premises, not just the “bar” area. If an establishment is licensed to serve alcohol and they meet the 51% percent threshold, the prohibition covers the entire premises where a person may legally consume that alcohol. TABC licenses are issued to addresses. If the bar and the meeting room had separate addresses (even if they are in the same building) and the alcohol licensed only covered the bar address, then it would have been ok to carry in the meeting hall. However, this would have meant that it was not ok to take alcohol from the bar area into the meeting area. Since this would be impracticable, I am sure that the TABC license covered the whole building.

Thanks for your question :grumble

Edwin Walker
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

jbarn wrote:
steveincowtown wrote:There is a joke someone in here, I just can't put my finger on it.

You make that decision without knowing if the bar area is the licensed area, or if the entire hall is. I imagine they knew what they were doing.

Based on the [pre-paid legal] response, and the TABC online records, I am gonna have to stand by my statement that they ([pre-paid legal]) are not worth the price (and are clowns). Furthermore, not sure I would want to depend on a group of attorneys to defend my freedom that didnt have the time (1 minute) to research where they were having their meeting before inviting a bunch of CHLers to commit felonies.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

MotherBear

Post by MotherBear »

howdy wrote:This is the response I got from [Pre-paid legal service]:

Dear Mr. Howdy:

Thanks for attending the [pre-paid legal] Willis seminar I hope that you enjoyed it. I think everyone was surprised to see a 51% sign at the back of the hall. You are correct that at the point a person would have noticed the sign, that all CHL carriers should have returned to their cars to put away their concealed handguns. You are also correct in that the sign applied to the entire premises, not just the “bar” area. If an establishment is licensed to serve alcohol and they meet the 51% percent threshold, the prohibition covers the entire premises where a person may legally consume that alcohol. TABC licenses are issued to addresses. If the bar and the meeting room had separate addresses (even if they are in the same building) and the alcohol licensed only covered the bar address, then it would have been ok to carry in the meeting hall. However, this would have meant that it was not ok to take alcohol from the bar area into the meeting area. Since this would be impracticable, I am sure that the TABC license covered the whole building.

Thanks for your question :grumble

Edwin Walker

Soooo... no apology for the mistake? I think I might have to write an e-mail of my own. We signed up with them and our next payment is coming due soon, but this just might be a good time to reevaluate our options.

o b juan

Post by o b juan »

"As a property owner, I should be able to allow anyone that I want to carry a weapon on the property and the government should have nothing that they can say about it."

NavyVet1959

Navy Vet Not exactly the same bUT cHECK OUT WHAT HAPPENED TO lESTER mADDOX bEFORE HE BECAME THE GOVERNER OF gEORGIA.. iNTERSTING STORY :banghead: :banghead:
CHL Instructor since 95'/ School safety Since Jan 17' :patriot:

NavyVet1959
Posts in topic: 4

Post by NavyVet1959 »

[quote="o b juan"Navy Vet Not exactly the same bUT cHECK OUT WHAT HAPPENED TO lESTER mADDOX bEFORE HE BECAME THE GOVERNER OF gEORGIA.. iNTERSTING STORY :banghead: :banghead:[/quote]

I read the Wiki page on him. Are you talking about how he stood up for the rights of property owners when he said that store owners should be able to serve only those people that they want to serve?

Reading the Wiki article on him, I would have to say that he sounds like someone I would have liked. Seemed to be very straightforward -- completely unlike most politicians today.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

steveincowtown wrote:
jbarn wrote:

Based on the [pre-paid legal] response, and the TABC online records, I am gonna have to stand by my statement that they ([pre-paid legal]) are not worth the price (and are clowns). Furthermore, not sure I would want to depend on a group of attorneys to defend my freedom that didnt have the time (1 minute) to research where they were having their meeting before inviting a bunch of CHLers to commit felonies.
I would have to agree, they avoided admitting their ignorance in setting up the meeting there. If they cannot figure out how to rent a place where CHL holders an carry all the while telling CHL holders why their legal service and expertise on firearms related matters is a must have, then how will they do when representing you for something serious?

Jason K
Banned

Post by Jason K »

If they cannot figure out how to rent a place where CHL holders an carry all the while telling CHL holders why their legal service and expertise on firearms related matters is a must have, then how will they do when representing you for something serious?
This.....my confidence in them is a bit shaken by this....

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

Maybe someone that is an attorney can answer this question, but could anyone that carried there still possibly be charged with a felony after the fact?

I realize it would be near impossible to prove, but just because one leaves the property after violating the law doesn't undo the fact that a crime was committed...does it?
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

MarshalMatt

Post by MarshalMatt »

There would be no way to prove, after the fact, that all those people were carrying illegally. I was there, walked through the front entrance (northside of the building) and nothing was posted. I entered the hall, got my fajita dinner and went to the back to sit down. I was STUNNED to see the 51% sign at the back of the hall. I was not carrying that evening and it was just by pure accident as I came from school and we can't carry on property. Incredible!!!!!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”