CHL address issue...

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TooTall
Posts in topic: 1

CHL address issue...

Post by TooTall »

Need some input from the masses. I applied for my CHL on 1/8/14. I moved on 2/1/14. I contacted the Texas DPS and sent them the new address via their online help service. I got a reply from a customer service rep stating, "Your address has been updated." I received my plastic the first week of March at my new address after getting home from vacation. It had my previous and hence wrong address on it... So they mailed it to the correct address but the plastic itself had the wrong address on it. I contacted the same help service stating my problem asking to speak to someone to resolve the issue because I did not feel I should have to pay to change the address when I was under the impression it already had been changed before the license was issued. I got a reply from another CSR saying download this form and mail it in with the appropriate fee... Ugh. I have a feeling if I email back I will get a reply from yet another CSR stating the same thing and not really looking at my problem. Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas? Ill take whatever ya got.

P.S. I've tried to find an answer to this but no luck. Am I legal to carry with mismatching addresses on my CHL and DL?

Thanks.

Edit: realize I put this in the wrong sub folder. Moderator can you move please? Thanks

JP171
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Re: CHL address issue...

Post by JP171 »

no your going to have to bite the checkbook and pay the fee to change the address

tomtexan

Post by tomtexan »

JP171 wrote:no your going to have to bite the checkbook and pay the fee to change the address
Yep, :iagree: . Just pay the fee and be done with it. Far less headache.

As far as legal to carry with different addresses on the DL and CHL, I'm not sure. Someone else will have to answer that.
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

TooTall wrote:
P.S. I've tried to find an answer to this but no luck. Am I legal to carry with mismatching addresses on my CHL and DL?
No law requires the addresses match. When I moved I had a new DL much sooner than the CHL. Updated both online on the same day. No violation

However, if you fail to notify DPS of an address change as required within 30 days it can result in a suspension of your license. I realize you might argue that you DID notify them, but unless you complete an address change online or with the form and accompanying fee you have not satisfied the requirements of the statutes.
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

One address change = $25 fee.

Did you pay the $25 fee when you notified them after the 2/1 address change? If no, then you rightfully owe the money and should simply pay up.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

If they mailed the original license to your new address that's pretty convincing evidence you notified them of the new address. :cheers2:

On the other hand, even though you're right, sometimes it's wise to let the Wookiee win.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

o b juan

Post by o b juan »

I dont like saying this but it is true " You are dealing with a Govt (ssate agency) Like DMV :shock: :shock:
CHL Instructor since 95'/ School safety Since Jan 17' :patriot:

JP171
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JP171 »

tbrown wrote:If they mailed the original license to your new address that's pretty convincing evidence you notified them of the new address. :cheers2:

On the other hand, even though you're right, sometimes it's wise to let the Wookiee win.

yea cause droids don't rip your arms outa the sockets "rlol"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”