FGC: Ridiculous Anti-OC policy

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

steveincowtown
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Re: FGC: Ridiculous Anti-OC policy

Post by steveincowtown »

jmra wrote: I don't think he's off at all, I think he dead on. Unless your definition of "a good deal of the general population" is completely different than mine, you are very mistaken about their opinion of CC. If you were right we wouldn't have concealed carry. That being said, "a good deal of the general population" is opposed to OC which is why Joe is still in a position to stop it from passing.
Using that same reasoning, a good deal of the Texas population must be against:

Campus Carry

Expanding the Areas Where CHL'ers can carry

Pro Life Bills (also killed by Straus during the regular session)

These are all bills which Joe blocked.

Joe is in the position he holds because:

#1> He has all the support of the Democrat members of the house and just enough old crony RINOs to assure that he is voted in every year.

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Texa ... Joe-Straus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Straus became the third-ranking constitutional officer in state government in 2009 -- the beneficiary of a “bloodless coup” that saw 11 Republicans join forces with 65 Democrats to oust Republican Tom Craddick of Midland from the speakership.
"51% of the laws sent to the governor’s desk from the House were Democrat-written or co-written. This means the MINORITY party in the House, outnumbered by nearly 2-1, was the MAJORITY when it came to laws passed. How can this be? There is one probable answer: Speaker of the House Joe Straus."
#2> He holds the power of assigning committees. If member of the house goes against him, and do not successfully topple him they will be assigned to the worst, least powerful committees (if any at all).

#3> If you are a Republican and oppose Straus, there is a good change if will redraw you district to make sure you aren't around to give him a problem in the next session.

Back on topic though.

I always read the rules and bylaws of any private club (gun or other) before joining.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

VMI77
Posts in topic: 1

Post by VMI77 »

txglock21 wrote:Just another reason I rarely go to ranges. I understand most of their rules are for safety reasons of the masses, but I perfer shooting on homemade ranges on private property. I understand most don't have this luxury, but if you can, it's worth it. :cheers2:
:iagree:
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

WildBill
Posts in topic: 7

Post by WildBill »

steveincowtown wrote:Wildbill, I always enjoy your comments and insight, but I must say I think you might be way off here. :tiphat:
Thank you for the compliment! :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Beiruty wrote:
WildBill wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:OC is not legal, and so local ranges tend not to support it. But I'll bet you that if OC passes, within a year or two local shooting ranges will probably change their rules to accommodate it.
:iagree: In my experience the people who want to open carry at the range are "jerks" and they are one of the main reasons why open carry is not legal. The term "jerk" is a euphemism which I use because I can't post my real description on this forum. :tiphat:
Can you explain why removing your concealment garment at the range to shoot a rifle is being equated to being a "jerk"? If you OC carry at your property is that also being equated to being a "jerk"?
Being or acting like a jerk has nothing to do with carrying a handgun - open or concealed. Not all jerks own guns and not everyone who owns a gun is a jerk.

I am sure that you have been to a public event such as a baseball, football game, movie, concert where there is an obnoxious, loud, foul-mouthed person who makes your experience unpleasant by his actions. People can be a jerk or act like a jackass whether armed or not. And they can do it at a shooting range or in church. Some people like to show off or get attention by being loud and obnoxious. Some like to do it by shooting or wearing a gun.

I belonged to a private gun club that cost several thousand dollars to join. One of the board members, who owned a local gun store, was on the admission board to decide whether or not I could be a member. I went to his gun store once, didn't buy anything, and never went back because I didn't like him. From my first encounter I thought he was a loud-mouth braggart and an ignorant jerk. During the board meeting he made racist remarks, and was generally obnoxious. I could tell the other board members didn't hold the same views and were embarrassed by his comments. I held my tongue and was voted in as a member.

This particular board member thought he was above the rules and open carried at the range [against the rules]. He swaggered around chewing on a cigar like he owned the place. When the range officer told him to take his gun out of his holster, he became irate and profanities flew. Eventually he complied with the rules and threatened to get the range officer fired. The board did not agree with him. Unfortunately they kept him on the board until the next election.

Of course there were other jerks at this range as well as the public ranges. As a PSC member, I have only encountered one person who I had issues with. I waited until he left to use that particular part of the range. Edited to add: This had nothing to do with OC.
Last edited by WildBill on Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
NRA Endowment Member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

n5wd wrote:
Beiruty wrote:Can you explain why removing your concealment garment at the range to shoot a rifle is being equated to being a "jerk"?
FGC's rules, which you agreed to obey when you signed up for the membership, states that if you're going to shoot your carry weapon, have it out and bagged when you arrive because you agree to keep your concealed weapon concealed. Being a jerk is agreeing to follow their rules, then whining about them on a statewide (if not nationally known) forum instead of taking your complaint to the management of the club.

Of course, if it matters to you that much, you can ask for a refund of your pro-rata dues.
:thumbs2:
NRA Endowment Member

nightmare
Deactivated until real name is provided

Post by nightmare »

Beiruty wrote:At Frisco Gun Club, last night, at the rifle range, I removed my concealment vest and shot my SIG556 rifle for like 2 hrs.
As it legal to OC at a firing range and this is the not first time I do that, a nice lady shows up when I was packing up to leave and informed me:
I have been observed on the CCTV cameras that I :
1) OC my pistol
2) I slinged my SIG rifle (after I made sure it was cleared) while packing.
Both are a no-no policy of the FGC.
I politely explained that my OC is legal and since she insisted that it is FGC policy of no-OC at the range. I agreed to put on my vest. Of course, my SIG went inside its case.

It is really ridiculous treatment and short sighted policy against OC. Both OC of pistol and long rifle are legal at a range.
On the other hand, all the employes are also open carrying their pistols. Encourage your employee to OC but not your high-dollars paying club member :mad5 :mad5 :headscratch

If OC is lawful in 2015, will such policy hold water?
It is lawful right now to have a handgun in plain view at shooting ranges and the policy holds water right now.
Equo ne credite, Teucri. Quidquid id est, timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

I've seen unsafe goobers at public to understand the reasoning for their rules.

It is private property, correct?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

nightmare wrote:
Beiruty wrote:At Frisco Gun Club, last night, at the rifle range, I removed my concealment vest and shot my SIG556 rifle for like 2 hrs.
As it legal to OC at a firing range and this is the not first time I do that, a nice lady shows up when I was packing up to leave and informed me:
1) OC my pistol
I politely explained that my OC is legal and since she insisted that it is FGC policy of no-OC at the range. I agreed to put on my vest. Of course, my SIG went inside its case.

It is really ridiculous treatment and short sighted policy against OC. Both OC of pistol and long rifle are legal at a range.
On the other hand, all the employes are also open carrying their pistols. Encourage your employee to OC but not your high-dollars paying club member :mad5 :mad5 :headscratch

It is lawful right now to have a handgun in plain view at shooting ranges and the policy holds water right now.
I know, but when OC is fully legal in public what is the point of the policy that is now in effect?
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

gigag04 wrote:I've seen unsafe goobers at public to understand the reasoning for their rules.

It is private property, correct?
Correct. I thought that Ranges may have to encourage the lawful OC at a range if they already do so for their employees. For what reason the Anti-OC policy is a still a mystery.
I am also regular shooter at DPC where the whole range is cold-range, no-loaded firearms unless at the firing line and under the orders of the RO. I am also a certified RO at DPC. However, at DPC, we can OC our unloaded sidearms.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

steveincowtown wrote:
WildBill wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:OC is not legal, and so local ranges tend not to support it. But I'll bet you that if OC passes, within a year or two local shooting ranges will probably change their rules to accommodate it.
:iagree: In my experience the people who want to open carry at the range are "jerks" and they are one of the main reasons why open carry is not legal. The term "jerk" is a euphemism which I use because I can't post my real description on this forum. :tiphat:
A good deal of folks in the general population think that about CHLers as well. Such a shame.

OC doesn't have a chance right now because of a gentleman named Joe, not because folks want to OC at a range.

Wildbill, I always enjoy your comments and insight, but I must say I think you might be way off here. :tiphat:
Steve, let me tell a story which will illustrate the point I think Bill was trying to make about "jerks".....

Many years ago, I used to roadrace motorcycles at Willow Springs Raceway, and Riverside Raceway, in a club called the "ARRA" (American Road Racing Association). ARRA was a southern California club, and Willow Springs was our home track. It is one of the great racetracks in the western U.S. In addition to being a club member and one of the riders, I was on the staff of ARRA as the head of the club's Tech Inspection unit.

There was another sanctioning body called WERA which was national and held racing events all over the country, with an emphasis on endurance racing (ARRA was mostly "sprint" racing.....10 lap events on a 2.5 mile road course). WERA had an annual 24 hour endurance race at Willow Springs. The year was probably 1987 or '88, and WERA contracted with ARRA that year to staff that year's 24 hour race, which meant that our corner workers worked the corners, our scoring people managed the scoring, and I and my tech crew ran the Tech Inspection station.

ARRA had its own rule book, and WERA had theirs. This race was to be run according to their rules, so we were all given a printed copy, and I ran my tech inspections according to their tech inspection rules.....which differed from our own in some small particulars, but were mostly the same as ours. Where they differed, I enforced the WERA rule because it was a WERA sanctioned event. When a bike passed Tech, we'd put a small dayglo green sticker on the windshield, with a registration number stamped on the sticker. The bike and rider was logged on a clipboard, and then that rider was good to go to enter the track either for practice or a race. If the bike failed Tech, it got a dayglo orange sticker on the windshield, and the bike was logged with the reason for failing. Then the rider or crew-chief could go back to his pits, address the issue, and bring the bike back to Tech to be rechecked. If it passed, we'd put a green sticker over the orange one, log that it passed, and he was good to go. The vast majority of racers (in either club, really) were grateful if we spotted something that would fail them, because that thing, whatever it was, might cause a catastrophic event if left unaddressed, leading to possible injury or death, let alone the destruction of an expensive motorcycle.

There was a guy.....I'll call him "John".....who was a nationally known WERA and AMA racer AND publisher/editor of a nationally read motorcycle enthusiast magazine at the time....doesn't matter which one.....and he was also on WERA's board of directors at the time. When he brought his very expensively and heavily modified open-class superbike to Tech Inspection prior to the beginning of practice sessions, I failed him. The reason I failed him is because, instead of safety-wiring his exhaust manifold bolts as clearly stated by the rules, he had simply applied a dab of RTV silicone on them to hold them in place. (During a 24 hour endurance race, the engine block on an air-cooled superbike motor will often glow a dull red at night, and at the exhaust ports and manifolds it might be a bright yellow.....in other words, they are HOT, and that RTV silicone is just going to burn up, thereby exposing the exhaust manifold bolts to the risk of vibrating loose and backing out.)

Instead of just taking his bike back to the pits and fixing the problem, which would have taken him about an hour, he berated me and argued about why I should make an exception to the rules for him...stuff like "I'm a professional!" and "I wrote the bleeping rules!" My answer was calm but unyielding. "If I make an exception for you, then I have to make an exception for everybody. Then it's not a rule anymore. Your rule book doesn't give me permission to do that, and it isn't just your safety that is at issue here. There are other riders on the track who might be catastrophically impacted by your mechanical failure." In the end, he went back to his pits and fixed the problem and was able to get enough practice in and to place highly at the race's conclusion; but when the next issue of his magazine that came out, the feature article about the race included several paragraphs naming me and my staff by name and calling attention to our ancestry and the marital status of our parents. Believe me, phone calls were made and words were exchanged, and I demanded a printed retraction and apology while bandying about the words "attorney", "court", "slander", "libel", and "expensive". He saw the writing on the wall and printed the retraction and apology in the next issue.

"John" was a jerk. None of what he did or didn't do was illegal, but he violated the organization's rules......rules which, ironically, he had had a part in creating. When he got caught in the violation, instead of acquiescing and submitting to the rules, he crapped all over everybody standing between him and his getting what he wanted. Like a 5 year old.

In short, this mid-30s (at the time) grown up man was behaving like a little boy and having a massive temper tantrum.

So it doesn't really matter what is legal or not legal at the range if the owner's rules say "no OC", and the difference between a mature adult and a jerk is that when the adult is caught in violation and asked to cover up, he or she says, "right....sorry about that, I didn't realize I was in violation", and he covers up. The jerk turns it into an argument about his rights on someone else's property.

I think that is the kind of "jerk" that Bill was talking about.....no so much that someone who OCs is automatically a jerk (I don't think they are). Rather, if they are OCing while knowingly in violation of the range rules, then they are being a jerk.......and anybody who goes to a range and who ignores the posted rules upon arrival really doesn't have an excuse for not knowing if OC is verboten or not. Every range I've ever been to has their rules prominently displayed somewhere so that you have to see them before you can shoot there. Mature adults read the rules. If those rules say "no open carry" and you open carry anyway, well.......
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I think that is the kind of "jerk" that Bill was talking about.....no so much that someone who OCs is automatically a jerk (I don't think they are). Rather, if they are OCing while knowingly in violation of the range rules, then they are being a jerk.......and anybody who goes to a range and who ignores the posted rules upon arrival really doesn't have an excuse for not knowing if OC is verboten or not. Every range I've ever been to has their rules prominently displayed somewhere so that you have to see them before you can shoot there. Mature adults read the rules. If those rules say "no open carry" and you open carry anyway, well.......
Precisely. :tiphat:

If I thought that any person who would open carry is automatically a jerk, then I would be a jerk. We all know that isn't true. :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Three questions for Beiruty:

How were the range employees who were open carrying acting?

Did they act any different than the patrons using the range who could not open carry?

Were they inside the building or walking around the range?
NRA Endowment Member

Dori

Post by Dori »

Beiruty wrote:
nightmare wrote:
1) OC my pistol

I know, but when OC is fully legal in public what is the point of the policy that is now in effect?
The same as now. Control. There's no additional safety gained by wearing a cover garment at a range in Texas.

But you know what? It's their club and they get to make the rules. Same as Cinemark or Pinnacle Peak Steakhouse.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Dori wrote:
Beiruty wrote:
nightmare wrote:
1) OC my pistol

The same as now. Control. There's no additional safety gained by wearing a cover garment at a range in Texas.
Control? Really?

Our Club, PSC Shooting Club, Inc., is a cold range meaning no one can have a loaded firearm except on a hot range. We have two exceptions, one for LEOs and one for CHLs. CHLs are required to keep loaded handguns concealed, but it's not because of any desire to "control" people. We don't want non-CHLs to either 1) think the CHL is violating Club rules; or 2) be confused as to whether the cold range rule is enforced.

Rather than wanting to control anyone, we created the exception for CHLs to let them carry loaded handguns if they wish.

Chas.

Dori

Post by Dori »

The purpose of rules is to impose control. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Some yahoos at public ranges need it.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”