Barber shop gun sign

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

NavyVet1959
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Barber shop gun sign

Post by NavyVet1959 »

mojo84 wrote:
NavyVet1959 wrote:Nice start, I guess. I would rather see a sign that stated that all concealed or open carry is welcome at their store.

That wouldn't make it legal. Until it is, I am thankful for his attitude toward what is legal at the moment.
You sure about that? I find it difficult to believe that a property owner can't authorize anyone to carry a weapon on his property.

Mel

Post by Mel »

NavyVet1959 wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
NavyVet1959 wrote:Nice start, I guess. I would rather see a sign that stated that all concealed or open carry is welcome at their store.

That wouldn't make it legal. Until it is, I am thankful for his attitude toward what is legal at the moment.
You sure about that? I find it difficult to believe that a property owner can't authorize anyone to carry a weapon on his property.
I believe the law says that you cannot carry openly unless you own or have control of the property.
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

Topic author
mojo84
Posts in topic: 7

Post by mojo84 »

NavyVet1959 wrote:
mojo84 wrote:

Can you reference where it says a property owner can authorize someone to do something that is illegal and that authorization makes it legal?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Purplehood »

Any business that almost exclusively accepts cash as payment (as many Barber Shops appear to do in my experience) would do well to invest in one of these signs.

It might deter the occasional literate hold-up man.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

NavyVet1959 wrote:
mojo84 wrote:

Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS.
(a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
(1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or
(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control.
(a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:
(1) the handgun is in plain view; or....
If you are the owner of a location and physically present, then you are the one in control. If the the person in control gives up that responsibility and assigns it to you, THEN you are in control of the premises.

In the case of the barber shop, the barber could not authorize just every person that came in the door control over he barber shop and thusly allow them to openly carry. Same for any property.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

NavyVet1959

Post by NavyVet1959 »

It should be no different than at a gun range.

Topic author
mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

NavyVet1959 wrote:It should be no different than at a gun range.

Should and is are two different things.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Mel

Post by Mel »

mojo84 wrote:
Ask Bill Clinton!
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

Topic author
mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Mel wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
Ask Bill Clinton!

It all depends on the definition of "is" doesn't it?

Gunner4640

Post by Gunner4640 »

Yea my barber has the same sign in his shop.. :fire
Dave & Wife NRA Members
Too many guns to list> :lol::

poppo

Post by poppo »

Keith B wrote:If you are the owner of a location and physically present, then you are the one in control. If the the person in control gives up that responsibility and assigns it to you, THEN you are in control of the premises.
This has been discussed before, and I'm pretty sure the consensus was only if you are an employee can you be "given control".
USMC Retired - DAV Life Member - VFW Life Member - NRA Life Member

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

mojo84 wrote:Nope, he's from East Texas.
Easy cowboy
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

A gun range is covered under the places and circumstances where the prohibitions against carry of handguns does not apply; penal code 46.15(b)

A barber shop is not.
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

Gunner4640 wrote:Yea my barber has the same sign in his shop.. :fire
Mine has a smaller version of it too.
He recently held a chl class in his facility too. Last I talked to him he was still waiting on his plastic.
N5PNZ

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”