As a CHL pedestrian - at what point do you identify to LEO

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Abraham
Posts in topic: 3

Re: As a CHL pedestrian - at what point do you identify to L

Post by Abraham »

This is an interesting question.

Has anyone as a pedestrian (on the forum) ever been stopped by an LEO and been asked for an I.D. when carrying (or not for that matter) and if so, what transpired?

For the record, it's NEVER happened to me.

I'm going to guess it's a quite rare happenstance...unless you spend time as a public drunk or something akin to it.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 4

Post by WildBill »

Abraham wrote:This is an interesting question.

Has anyone as a pedestrian (on the forum) ever been stopped by an LEO and been asked for an I.D. when carrying (or not for that matter) and if so, what transpired?

I'm going to guess it's a quite rare happenstance...unless you spend time as a public drunk or something akin to it.
Remember the recent arrest in Austin? It could end up like this.
Acevedo reiterated that the woman was placed under arrest because she failed to identify herself, not for resisting arrest. But still the criticism on social media is that the officers used excessive force.
http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas ... 262902.php
NRA Endowment Member

JP171
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JP171 »

yes I was many years ago stopped by a LEO while walking, he pulled up in his car and asked my to come over to him, then asked me for ID I asked if there was a problem, he said I don't know and again asked for ID I asked him did I do something wrong he said I don't know then told me to put my hands on the hood and proceeded to empty my pockets and then open my wallet, took my DL and ran the number came back clean and told me that the next time I was asked for ID to produce it or I was going to go to jail for failure to ID. then told me to get my stuff off of his hood then left. no explanation no nothing but a roust to see what I had in my pockets. Oh and BTW I was in an Army uniform at the time.

I believe that a large percentage of LEO's think that they have the right and authority to stop you just to check your ID and believe they are justified under the law as they believe that anytime you are stopped by a LEO is in fact an investigation(seeing what your doing) or constructive detention(seeing what they can find on you to arrest and have you charged with) As I understand the law here in Texas you may not be stopped just to check your DL or Insurance so LEO's that are bent that way just make something up as justification

jbarn
Posts in topic: 7

Post by jbarn »

When I worked graveyard as a cop I contacted lots of folks on foot, depending on the neighborhood.
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

When working as a freelance artist, I took several long walks in the wee hours to clear the head without a lot of distraction. One time I was out, a couple of blocks from my apartments when a helicopter lit me up. I waved without looking up. Two cruisers screeched to the curb where I was, and before I could react the LEOs were out of the car when one said, "That's not him." Both got in and sped off. I went home.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

mojo84
Posts in topic: 5

Post by mojo84 »

jbarn wrote:

When I worked graveyard as a cop I contacted lots of folks on foot, depending on the neighborhood.

"Contact" is one thing. Did you force or coerce them to provide ID even if they they weren't being arrested or suspected of committing a crime?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Abraham »

Jbarn said "contact", I'll take him at his word.

This thread has been educational.

Because so few of us are pedestrians (except downtown) I lost sight of the fact they even much exist anymore. They do and apparently get stopped for a variety of reasons by LEO's.

getsome

Post by getsome »

JP171 wrote: yes I was many years ago stopped by a LEO while walking, he pulled up in his car and asked my to come over to him, then asked me for ID I asked if there was a problem, he said I don't know and again asked for ID I asked him did I do something wrong he said I don't know then told me to put my hands on the hood and proceeded to empty my pockets and then open my wallet, took my DL and ran the number came back clean and told me that the next time I was asked for ID to produce it or I was going to go to jail for failure to ID. then told me to get my stuff off of his hood then left. no explanation no nothing but a roust to see what I had in my pockets. Oh and BTW I was in an Army uniform at the time.
Hello 4th amendment.
Old breed? New breed? There’s not a damn bit of difference so long as it’s the Marine breed. ~ LtGen Lewis B. “Chesty” Puller

WildBill
Posts in topic: 4

Post by WildBill »

Abraham wrote:Jbarn said "contact", I'll take him at his word.

Because so few of us are pedestrians (except downtown) I lost sight of the fact they even much exist anymore. They do and apparently get stopped for a variety of reasons by LEO's.
JBarn did say he was working "graveyard". Pedestrians probably "stand out" a bit more during the wee hours.
NRA Endowment Member

gringo pistolero

Post by gringo pistolero »

JP171 wrote:

yes I was many years ago stopped by a LEO while walking, he pulled up in his car and asked my to come over to him, then asked me for ID I asked if there was a problem, he said I don't know and again asked for ID I asked him did I do something wrong he said I don't know then told me to put my hands on the hood and proceeded to empty my pockets and then open my wallet, took my DL and ran the number came back clean and told me that the next time I was asked for ID to produce it or I was going to go to jail for failure to ID. then told me to get my stuff off of his hood then left. no explanation no nothing but a roust to see what I had in my pockets. Oh and BTW I was in an Army uniform at the time.

I believe that a large percentage of LEO's think that they have the right and authority to stop you just to check your ID and believe they are justified under the law as they believe that anytime you are stopped by a LEO is in fact an investigation(seeing what your doing) or constructive detention(seeing what they can find on you to arrest and have you charged with) As I understand the law here in Texas you may not be stopped just to check your DL or Insurance so LEO's that are bent that way just make something up as justification
Not much difference between bent that way and crooked.
I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Abraham wrote:Jbarn said "contact", I'll take him at his word.

I'm not doubting he made contact and I take him at his word also. Just curious how far he went to get ID. It's an honest and fair question.
Last edited by mojo84 on Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

jbarn
Posts in topic: 7

Post by jbarn »

mojo84 wrote:
jbarn wrote:

"Contact" is one thing. Did you force or coerce them to provide ID even if they they weren't being arrested or suspected of committing a crime?
I stopped people in suspicious places or under suspicious circumstances. At 0200 if I see you walking in an industrial area we were going to visit. I always asked for ID. Didn't matter if I could arrest if they refused, I always asked.
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

jbarn wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
jbarn wrote:

I stopped people in suspicious places or under suspicious circumstances. At 0200 if I see you walking in an industrial area we were going to visit. I always asked for ID. Didn't matter if I could arrest if they refused, I always asked.
How did you handle it if they refused?

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

gigag04 wrote:Answered in the second post, but here comes page 2...
Coming soon, page 3...
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

jmra
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmra »

tbrown wrote:
gigag04 wrote:Answered in the second post, but here comes page 2...
Coming soon, page 3...
"rlol"
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”