I hope this Cyclist looking for trouble isn't a CHL

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
rp_photo
Posts in topic: 3

I hope this Cyclist looking for trouble isn't a CHL

Post by rp_photo »

In my opinion, what he's doing would make him the instigator, making the use of a concealed weapon unlawful:

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas ... 425186.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

WildBill
Posts in topic: 10

Re: I hope this Cyclist looking for trouble isn't a CHL

Post by WildBill »

rp_photo wrote:In my opinion, what he's doing would make him the instigator, making the use of a concealed weapon unlawful:

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas ... 425186.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:iagree: Maybe he should open carry while riding his bicycle.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
rp_photo

Post by rp_photo »

3 years of being a carrying CHL has conditioned me to abhor the "looking for trouble" mindset, which in my opinion this cyclist has.
CHL since 2/2011

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

rp_photo wrote:3 years of being a carrying CHL has conditioned me to abhor the "looking for trouble" mindset, which in my opinion this cyclist has.
:iagree: And when he finds trouble? What! :shock: Who Me? :???:
NRA Endowment Member

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

I would like to follow him around and see how many traffic laws he violates on his bike. I can understand him wanting to keep cars away but I frequently see bicyclists disobeying traffic laws. It seems many riders only want the laws enforced when it is others breaking the laws.

Topic author
rp_photo

Post by rp_photo »

mrvmax wrote:I would like to follow him around and see how many traffic laws he violates on his bike. I can understand him wanting to keep cars away but I frequently see bicyclists disobeying traffic laws. It seems many riders only want the laws enforced when it is others breaking the laws.
They want to be considered cars or pedestrians, whichever is more convenient.
CHL since 2/2011

scottmeador

Post by scottmeador »

I doubt that he is the instigator. Just because their vehicle outweighs his by several thousand pounds does not give them motorized vehicle operator the right to buzz him. Too many times I've been buzzed and even thrown off a couple of times. In those instances thankfully the LEO understood the TTC and rightly prosecuted the individuals with citations.

Yes, there are the cyclists who think they own the road as well and are not willing to share, but their numbers are far fewer than the idiot motorists.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

scottmeador wrote:I doubt that he is the instigator. Just because their vehicle outweighs his by several thousand pounds does not give them motorized vehicle operator the right to buzz him. Too many times I've been buzzed and even thrown off a couple of times. In those instances thankfully the LEO understood the TTC and rightly prosecuted the individuals with citations.

Yes, there are the cyclists who think they own the road as well and are not willing to share, but their numbers are far fewer than the idiot motorists.
There are idiot motorists that practically ran me off the road in my 4 door F350, I don't think they are prejudiced against bicyclists - they are just stupid. There are a lot of riders in Friendswood and I have never seen a vehicle doing anything dangerous toward them but I have seen numerous riders not obeying traffic laws and riding dangerously. On FM 528 in Friendswood many of them will ride almost on the line (next to where cars are going 50-60) even when there is a large shoulder. I assume it is due to all the rocks and other garbage on the shoulder but it seems a bit risky to me to ride within a foot of fast moving vehicles. On Sundays when they have their large groups of riders they take up a lane on 528 and there are always guys within a foot of vehicles in the next lane. Yes, bike riders annoy me but I try to stay out of their way.

jmra
Posts in topic: 13

Post by jmra »

Will get flamed for this but IMHO bicycles do not belong on most roadways. There should be a minimum speed requirement for all roadways. The vehicle you are operating should be able to consistently maintain that speed. If it can't it doesn't belong on the road.
It amazes me that we don't let dirt bikes, ATVs, and gas powered golf carts use roadways but we let 12 year olds on bicycles on the roads. Simply doesn't make any sense.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

jbarn
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jbarn »

The statement he is likely to make might just be his death.

Some folks are just hard headed.
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jimlongley »

Just the other day, without my camera mounted, I was passed, on the right, as I left a stop sign, by a bicyclist who did not bother to stop and I darn near hit him trying to avoid him as he swung into the center of the lane in front my my accelerating vehicle.

One of those times when I think all bicycles used on the public highway should be registered and tagged just like every other vehicle operated on the public highway, and I wish I had had my camera mounted and running, that costume has to be very recognizable.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

rp_photo wrote:They want to be considered cars or pedestrians, whichever is more convenient.
What they want does not matter. The law does not consider them as either cars or pedestrians but has a separate class for bicycles. They are governed by Chapter 551 of the Transportation Code, titles (interestingly enough) Operation of Bicycles, Mopeds, and Play Vehicles. In general, they must obey all of the regular laws, but this chapter does have some special rules for them.

And the article in the link had a significant error, IMO. The law requiring three feet of clearance is NOT a state law. The article said it was, but then muddied it by saying it was a city ordinance. I know Austin passed this as an ordinance and I assume Houston did also.

I have a lot of complaints about the way some bicycle riders operate and fail to obey state laws. My biggest pet peeve in Austin is the way they will ride down between a line of cars to get to the front of the line. Then half of them runt he red light or stop sign anyway. The other half get to the front and then wait, holding up the whole line of cars until they can get past the bike.

None of this is a justification for car or truck drivers to fail to give them the clearance and deference they are legally entitled to.
Steve Rothstein

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Houston's streets are slated to become safer for all who use them: On Wednesday, city council unanimously approved a safe passing ordinance that requires drivers to keep a minimum of three feet between motor vehicles and all "vulnerable road users," and demands that commercial drivers give a six-foot berth.

That definition includes pedestrians, physically disabled persons, stranded motorists, construction and maintenance workers, cyclists and others utilizing a "human-powered wheeled vehicle," plus mopeds and scooter operators and horseback riders.

The ordinance, which takes effect immediately, punishes drives who come too close to, unsafely overtake or harass, intimidate or throw objects at a vulnerable road user, with a $500 fine.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/city ... yclists-1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Endowment Member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

It didn't see this story when it happened. This is one of the cases that lead to passing the Houston Ordinance.

League City police say tipsters have identified a driver possibly involved in hit-and-run incident that took the life of yet another area cyclist.

Kevin Ronald Munson was struck around 2:30 a.m. early Thursday morning as he cycled along the 1900 block of East Marina Bay Drive, roughly a mile west of the Kemah Boardwalk area. Emergency officials — who were contacted by a witness at the scene — rushed the 45-year-old victim to Clear Lake Region Hospital with serious head injuries. Munson was pronounced dead soon thereafter.

Surveillance shows a woman removing a large piece of wreckage from her sedan.

Investigators released surveillance footage from a guard shack of the Waterford Harbor gated community, located next to the crash site. Recorded just after the accident, the video shows a woman and a security guard removing a large piece of wreckage from the front wheel of a grey, four-door sedan. The woman tosses the piece in her car and drives away.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/city ... -cyclists/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Endowment Member

jmra
Posts in topic: 13

Post by jmra »

WildBill wrote:It didn't see this story when it happened. This is one of the cases that lead to passing the Houston Ordinance.

League City police say tipsters have identified a driver possibly involved in hit-and-run incident that took the life of yet another area cyclist.

Kevin Ronald Munson was struck around 2:30 a.m. early Thursday morning as he cycled along the 1900 block of East Marina Bay Drive, roughly a mile west of the Kemah Boardwalk area. Emergency officials — who were contacted by a witness at the scene — rushed the 45-year-old victim to Clear Lake Region Hospital with serious head injuries. Munson was pronounced dead soon thereafter.

Surveillance shows a woman removing a large piece of wreckage from her sedan.

Investigators released surveillance footage from a guard shack of the Waterford Harbor gated community, located next to the crash site. Recorded just after the accident, the video shows a woman and a security guard removing a large piece of wreckage from the front wheel of a grey, four-door sedan. The woman tosses the piece in her car and drives away.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/city ... -cyclists/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nothing good happens on the highway at 2:30am.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”