I hope this Cyclist looking for trouble isn't a CHL

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

WildBill
Posts in topic: 10

Re: I hope this Cyclist looking for trouble isn't a CHL

Post by WildBill »

jmra wrote:
WildBill wrote:It didn't see this story when it happened. This is one of the cases that lead to passing the Houston Ordinance.

League City police say tipsters have identified a driver possibly involved in hit-and-run incident that took the life of yet another area cyclist.

Kevin Ronald Munson was struck around 2:30 a.m. early Thursday morning as he cycled along the 1900 block of East Marina Bay Drive, roughly a mile west of the Kemah Boardwalk area. Emergency officials — who were contacted by a witness at the scene — rushed the 45-year-old victim to Clear Lake Region Hospital with serious head injuries. Munson was pronounced dead soon thereafter.

Surveillance shows a woman removing a large piece of wreckage from her sedan.

Investigators released surveillance footage from a guard shack of the Waterford Harbor gated community, located next to the crash site. Recorded just after the accident, the video shows a woman and a security guard removing a large piece of wreckage from the front wheel of a grey, four-door sedan. The woman tosses the piece in her car and drives away.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/city ... -cyclists/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nothing good happens on the highway at 2:30am.
The driver of the vehicle is an RN. She could have just gotten off work. If so, how ironic.
NRA Endowment Member

jmra
Posts in topic: 13

Post by jmra »

WildBill wrote:
jmra wrote:
WildBill wrote:It didn't see this story when it happened. This is one of the cases that lead to passing the Houston Ordinance.

League City police say tipsters have identified a driver possibly involved in hit-and-run incident that took the life of yet another area cyclist.

Kevin Ronald Munson was struck around 2:30 a.m. early Thursday morning as he cycled along the 1900 block of East Marina Bay Drive, roughly a mile west of the Kemah Boardwalk area. Emergency officials — who were contacted by a witness at the scene — rushed the 45-year-old victim to Clear Lake Region Hospital with serious head injuries. Munson was pronounced dead soon thereafter.

Investigators released surveillance footage from a guard shack of the Waterford Harbor gated community, located next to the crash site. Recorded just after the accident, the video shows a woman and a security guard removing a large piece of wreckage from the front wheel of a grey, four-door sedan. The woman tosses the piece in her car and drives away.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/city ... -cyclists/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The driver of the vehicle is an RN. She could have just gotten off work. If so, how ironic.
It would be, however, 2:30 am would not be the proper timeline for most shift work at hospitals (source - wife, who has been a RN for 24 years and currently runs several nursing departments). More likely she had been off work for several hours and stopped somewhere to "unwind" before heading home.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

jmra wrote:
WildBill wrote:
jmra wrote:

It would be, however, 2:30 am would not be the proper timeline for most shift work at hospitals (source - wife, who has been a RN for 24 years and currently runs several nursing departments). More likely she had been off work for several hours and stopped somewhere to "unwind" before heading home.
You could be correct. There hasn't been much new information since the arrest.
NRA Endowment Member

jmra

Post by jmra »

WildBill wrote:
jmra wrote:
WildBill wrote:
jmra wrote:

Also thought it was interesting that the damage to the car in the video was to the drivers side. I would have expected it to be on the passenger side.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

jmra wrote:
WildBill wrote:
jmra wrote:
WildBill wrote:
jmra wrote:

Also thought it was interesting that the damage to the car in the video was to the drivers side. I would have expected it to be on the passenger side.
Left turn?
NRA Endowment Member

hillfighter
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by hillfighter »

jmra wrote:Also thought it was interesting that the damage to the car in the video was to the drivers side. I would have expected it to be on the passenger side.
That makes me wonder where the biker was on the road and if they had the required lighting.

Before someone says it, it's wrong to leave the scene and tamper with evidence. I'm wondering about the crash.
"support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic"

hillfighter
Banned

Post by hillfighter »

WildBill wrote:Houston's streets are slated to become safer for all who use them: On Wednesday, city council unanimously approved a safe passing ordinance that requires drivers to keep a minimum of three feet between motor vehicles and all "vulnerable road users," and demands that commercial drivers give a six-foot berth.
Does the same fine apply to bicycle drivers who get within 3 feet of a motor vehicle? What if the biker is illegally passing on the right?
"support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic"

jmra

Post by jmra »

WildBill wrote:
jmra wrote:
WildBill wrote:
jmra wrote:
WildBill wrote:
jmra wrote:

Left turn?
Could be, but I would have expected more front end contact than side contact.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

scottmeador

Post by scottmeador »

srothstein wrote:
rp_photo wrote:They want to be considered cars or pedestrians, whichever is more convenient.

And the article in the link had a significant error, IMO. The law requiring three feet of clearance is NOT a state law. The article said it was, but then muddied it by saying it was a city ordinance. I know Austin passed this as an ordinance and I assume Houston did also.

Perry vetoed the three foot buffer bill back in 2011.

JR's 12 Valve
Posts in topic: 3

Post by JR's 12 Valve »

A lot of folks bike for a hobby, I say go for it ... but stay the heck off the highway. I personally believe they should leave their riding to suburban neighborhoods, dedicated bike paths, or at least roads with very little traffic on it.

It doesn't make much sense for someone to ride a 6lb piece of steel, while just about every other moving object on the road weighs in excess of 4,000 lbs, and is moving at about 55 MPH.

jmra

Post by jmra »

JR's 12 Valve wrote:A lot of folks bike for a hobby, I say go for it ... but stay the heck off the highway. I personally believe they should leave their riding to suburban neighborhoods, dedicated bike paths, or at least roads with very little traffic on it.

It doesn't make much sense for someone to ride a 6lb piece of steel, while just about every other moving object on the road weighs in excess of 4,000 lbs, and is moving at about 55 MPH.
:iagree:
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

poppo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by poppo »

JR's 12 Valve wrote:A lot of folks bike for a hobby, I say go for it ... but stay the heck off the highway. I personally believe they should leave their riding to suburban neighborhoods, dedicated bike paths, or at least roads with very little traffic on it.

Out where I live the two lane FM road is 70mph and there is maybe a half foot of shoulder. Bikes should not be on that road, but yet they always are. And it would be impossible to give them 3 feet of space when that would put you into oncoming 70mph traffic. Luckily we don't have that stupid buffer ordinance here.

I'm not against people riding bikes, but there are plenty of places to ride other than on a 70mph road. As much as I hate gravel trucks too, I always get a chuckle when they pass the bikes and give them a good "sand blasting".
USMC Retired - DAV Life Member - VFW Life Member - NRA Life Member

JP171
Banned

Post by JP171 »

poppo wrote:

Out where I live the two lane FM road is 70mph and there is maybe a half foot of shoulder. Bikes should not be on that road, but yet they always are. And it would be impossible to give them 3 feet of space when that would put you into oncoming 70mph traffic. Luckily we don't have that stupid buffer ordinance here.

I'm not against people riding bikes, but there are plenty of places to ride other than on a 70mph road. As much as I hate gravel trucks too, I always get a chuckle when they pass the bikes and give them a good "sand blasting".

JM, JR and Poppo, does that mean those of us that have a 400 lb vehicle should yield or give right of way to you cagers too???? if so, umm hmm well get in the ring, and if you don't know the song look it up. Its real simple bicycles have the same rights to the road as automobiles and every other vehicle, don't like it move someplace that the communists control life and don't allow it. oh that's right just wait for a few more years and we'll be there in this country. I don't condone bicycles or motorcycles acting a fool but cagers are haters when it comes to bikes of any kind no matter be it motor driven or not and think like JMRA " those darn things don't belong on the road" and "were bigger so we will do what ever we want to them". This kind of attitude sickens me, I think ALL persons that have a drivers license should have to go thru a 2 year motorcycle/moped requirement before being allowed to operate a vehicle over 1000 lbs PERIOD!

JR's 12 Valve
Posts in topic: 3

Post by JR's 12 Valve »

JP171 wrote:
poppo wrote:

JM, JR and Poppo, does that mean those of us that have a 400 lb vehicle should yield or give right of way to you cagers too???? if so, umm hmm well get in the ring, and if you don't know the song look it up. Its real simple bicycles have the same rights to the road as automobiles and every other vehicle, don't like it move someplace that the communists control life and don't allow it. oh that's right just wait for a few more years and we'll be there in this country. I don't condone bicycles or motorcycles acting a fool but cagers are haters when it comes to bikes of any kind no matter be it motor driven or not and think like JMRA " those darn things don't belong on the road" and "were bigger so we will do what ever we want to them". This kind of attitude sickens me, I think ALL persons that have a drivers license should have to go thru a 2 year motorcycle/moped requirement before being allowed to operate a vehicle over 1000 lbs PERIOD!
JP171, your post is contradicting. You said you think that if we don't think bikes and motorcycles have the same rights to drive/ride on the roads, then we should move to someplace that control it. Then you said we should be required to go through a 2 year motorcycle/moped requirement to operate a motor vehicle. Sounds kind of controlling to me.

Neither JMRA, poppo, nor I said they don't belong on the road. They agreed with me when I said "A lot of folks bike for a hobby, I say go for it." In response to my post, none of them said "Those things don't belong on the road!" We collectively agreed that y'all can do whatever y'all want on the road, but there are better places to ride than a 55-75 MPH highway.

JP171
Banned

Post by JP171 »

jmra wrote:Will get flamed for this but IMHO bicycles do not belong on most roadways. There should be a minimum speed requirement for all roadways. The vehicle you are operating should be able to consistently maintain that speed. If it can't it doesn't belong on the road.
It amazes me that we don't let dirt bikes, ATVs, and gas powered golf carts use roadways but we let 12 year olds on bicycles on the roads. Simply doesn't make any sense.

JR, lookie here OOOPPPS so yes it was said and bicycles are not allowed on any roadway that is considered to be a 70 mph highway unless a permit is issued with the exception of the road being a rural roadway. I did not contradict myself in anyway as I NEVER said that a bicycle shouldn't be on a roadway but rather that a requirement should be in place as driving is a privilege and NOT a right, you want to operate a motor vehicle then comply with the requirement same as those who ride motorcycles must have a motorcycle safety course to get a license now for the motorcycle.

oh and here ya go stay the heck off the highway, hmm didn't say it?????

JR's 12 Valve wrote: A lot of folks bike for a hobby, I say go for it ... but stay the heck off the highway. I personally believe they should leave their riding to suburban neighborhoods, dedicated bike paths, or at least roads with very little traffic on it.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”