Address Change

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
escapedNJ
Posts in topic: 1

Address Change

Post by escapedNJ »

My instructor back in September told us that if we changed address we had to mail back our old CHL or else we could be suspended? I was told recently on Facebook that you don't need to mail back your old CHL? Can anyone clarify or point me in the right direction?
NRA
GOA
2AF
NJ2AS(dot)com

MoJo

Re: Address Change

Post by MoJo »

After you receive your new license then you mail the old one in. That's what my fuzzy memory of my instructor school tells me. There will be some who say you don't have to mail it, for less than a buck you can send it in. I returned mine after moving. :tiphat:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

JP171
Banned

Post by JP171 »

address changes and renewals do not require you to return the old license only if its modified( no longer done)

jbarn
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jbarn »

escapedNJ wrote:My instructor back in September told us that if we changed address we had to mail back our old CHL or else we could be suspended? I was told recently on Facebook that you don't need to mail back your old CHL? Can anyone clarify or point me in the right direction?

He was mistaken. I have even posted the relevant code here before.

Destroy the old one. :cheers2:
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

nightmare
Deactivated until real name is provided

Post by nightmare »

Did you instructor also say you need to take his class to renew? :banghead:
Equo ne credite, Teucri. Quidquid id est, timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

jmra

Post by jmra »

Use the old one for target practice
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

I believe this is a huge source of confusion. Originally, we were told that you could not possess more than one "valid" license. Therefore if you "modified" a license by either changing an address OR changing from NSA to SA you had to return the old license. The "book", (chl-16) still says you must return a previous license if yours is "modified" per GC 411.184 but as mentioned before there are no more modifications from NSA to SA. I suspect the confusion comes in defining more than one "valid" license. If you changed an address and received a new license you would technically possess more than one valid license just as you would if you "modified" your license from NSA to SA. The Administrative Code still says you may not possess more than one current license, but goes on to explain specifically what to do on an address change.

To answer your specific question regarding address change, look at the current Administrative Code located at:

http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub/rea ... ch=6&rl=14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It states:

A license holder may not possess more than one license to carry a concealed handgun issued by the department. A license holder who requests a duplicate license based on a change of name or address shall destroy the old license promptly upon receipt of the duplicate license.
Source Note: The provisions of this §6.14 adopted to be effective August 10, 2008, 33 TexReg 6148
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

jbarn
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jbarn »

The only instance a person was required to return a license was when the person modified their license and received that modified license in the mail. The ONLY modified license was when one went from NSA to SA.

A renewed license was never a modified license. It was renewed. An address change was not modified, it was an address change.

I imagine in 11 years, and I have taught well over a thousand people, that I only had a half dozen qualify initially with a revolver. I have had proficiency shooting tests for exactly 2 people who wanted to switch from NSA to SA between renewals.

It seems to have been pretty rare. :patriot:
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”