Reciprocal agreements

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
AF5EE
Posts in topic: 2

Reciprocal agreements

Post by AF5EE »

How legal are concealed carry permits in Texas if obtained in another State?

Wodathunkit

Re: Reciprocal agreements

Post by Wodathunkit »

Are you asking as a visitor to Texas or as a resident?
"Character is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking" - J.C. watts Jr.
CHL since Jan. 2013
53 days mailbox to mailbox.

Topic author
AF5EE

Post by AF5EE »

As a resident of Texas, I have a permit from another State.

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jumping Frog »

If that state's non-resident license is recognized by Texas, you are allowed to carry under the authority of that license.

Carrying under a non-resident CHL does not qualify for the exemption under federal law for the 1000 foot school safety zone. The violation is largely theoretical, IMO, for anyone who is otherwise law-abiding (for example, don't get arrested by the DEA for selling drugs and get the gun-free school zones charge tacked on).

You are licensed by what state?
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

poppo

Post by poppo »

AF5EE wrote:As a resident of Texas, I have a permit from another State.
Just curious. Why not just get a TX CHL? Not making any accusations or anything, but I always wonder what people are trying to avoid. The cost? Geeze, it's not that much. The range qualification? IMO people who carry should know which end of the barrel the bullet comes out. The test? IMO people should have at least a basic understanding of the law. Given the original question, I rest my case. :tiphat:
USMC Retired - DAV Life Member - VFW Life Member - NRA Life Member

nightmare
Deactivated until real name is provided

Post by nightmare »

AF5EE wrote:How legal are concealed carry permits in Texas if obtained in another State?
They're legal to have. Whether you get reciprocity depends which State issued the license.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/CHL/Legal/Reciprocity/
Equo ne credite, Teucri. Quidquid id est, timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

Wodathunkit

Post by Wodathunkit »

"Equo ne credite, Teucri. Quidquid id est, timeo Danaos et dona ferentes"

I'm pretty good with German; "yo job is yo credit"?
"Character is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking" - J.C. watts Jr.
CHL since Jan. 2013
53 days mailbox to mailbox.

gdanaher
Banned

Post by gdanaher »

Then there are other issues. The reciprocal license might be just fine but that cop in Orange might not know about those things and ask you to the prom anyway. The class is short. I would not rely on an out of state license. Do it right, get a Texas license, and be done with it. I see you know about licenses...... :-)

goose

Post by goose »

Is it also a valid question about the validity of the out of state license, assuming a move has taken place?

1) if the CHL license was a non-resident license issued to an address in OK, but now the licensee lives in TX, does the address change invalidate the license?
2) if the address on the other state's CHL license doesn't match the TX govt. issued identification, is the LEO going to be less pleased with any hoops they are now going to have to trace through?
3) If the addresses match but you’re in LA, with a TX driver’s license and an (insert non-Texas state here) CHL license. Is the LA LEO going to be less pleased with any hoops they are now going to have to trace through?
4) if no move was involved, I’d ask if there is another state’s non-resident license that gets you more reciprocity than TX’s resident license.

I’ve lived when money was super tight. If there is a valid non-resident license that is accepted but vastly less dollars, fair enough. If money isn’t crazy tight, I’d vote for a TX resident license. The very few times I expect to hand LEO my licenses I’ll be most comfortable if all the addresses match and the font/script in the upper left corners match.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

The_Busy_Mom

Post by The_Busy_Mom »

AF5EE wrote:How legal are concealed carry permits in Texas if obtained in another State?
AF5EE wrote:As a resident of Texas, I have a permit from another State.
All the posts above address the legality of your out-of-state permit. I would like to add that you carry under the laws of the state you are in, not necessarily the state that issued the permit. So you really need to be careful and understand Texas laws. Since you found this forum, I can see that you are reading up on the general provisions of carrying in Texas, so please make sure you are on the up-and-up regarding Texas carry laws if you have an out-of-state permit.

For example, in some states, gun buster signs carry the weight of the law, while in Texas, they do not apply to CHL. And Texas has 30.06, where other states do not. And as others posted, the Gun Free School Zone rules are different for non-resident CHL carriers.

If you are living in Texas, get a Texas CHL and learn the laws that cover concealed carry.

:txflag: TBM
Texas CHL Instructor / NRA Certified Instructor
Final Shot Armory - Specializing in Firearms Sales & Transfers, NFA Sales
$20 Transfers for Current TX CHL Holders, Military, Teachers, LEO / $25 Everyone else
http://www.FinalShotUS.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ldj1002

Post by ldj1002 »

TX was too expensive until last year. Now, much better especially for certain groups of folks.

baron
Banned

Post by baron »

gdanaher wrote:Then there are other issues. The reciprocal license might be just fine but that cop in Orange might not know about those things and ask you to the prom anyway.
If the prom queen knows about MPA there's no problem in your car. If they don't, they probably don't know about Texas CHL either.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”