What next.

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Setxjeff
Posts in topic: 1

What next.

Post by Setxjeff »

I have applied and paid online, received my online application checklist with barcode and 13 digit number.
    Made appointment and got my fingerprints done at FAST.
    Do I need to send fingerprint pass paperwork or is that done electronically ? ( not fingerprints but the signature page of the LSO)
    Do I get a packet or is it all online now?

Do I need to wait or can I go ahead and take the course for my CHL-100.
    From what I have read and seem to understand the only thing actually mailed or even emailed now is the CHL-100.
    Thanks
    TSRA Member
    M1 Garand Collectors Association

kg5ie

Re: What next.

Post by kg5ie »

Sounds like you are following what the DPS calls the "happy path". Application, fingerprints, CHL class. One of the things on your checklist should be your CHL 100...so...yes. You need to take the class. Then send the CHL 100 to the DPS-CHL folks. As for sending the proof of FAST fingerprinting, we are getting mixed messages there. I had 2 students do their fingerprints this week. The lady at FAST told them NOT to send in the sheet she provided, that there was no need since the fingerprints are submitted electronically. We were also told at our Instructors meeting that the checklist was not necessary..only to make sure everything on the checklist is sent in.

That said, I am a belt and suspenders guy. I would send in the CHL 100, the fingerprint form, the checklist, and anything else listed that you need to send (DD 214 etc.). I figure if they don't want it, they can round file it. MAKE COPIES before you mail anything.

There is no packet like in the old days. All forms, law booklets, etc. are distributed on line. Your CHL instructor will likely furnish a copy of the CHL 16 (law booklet) or will have other applicable material that will cover the required things. However, be aware that one of the affidavits you submitted when you did the application is that you have read and understand the CHL laws. So, I suggest you find a copy somewhere. Unfortunately, it is currently NOT available online due to it being revised to add the changes made during the last legislative session.

Check with your instructor to see if it will be furnished in class. If not, message me and I'll send you either an electronic copy or mail you a paper one.

Hope this helps.
    Bill Davis [kg5ie]
    TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    http://safe-2-carry.com

poppo

Re: What next.

Post by poppo »

kg5ie wrote: The lady at FAST told them NOT to send in the sheet she provided, that there was no need since the fingerprints are submitted electronically.

That said, I am a belt and suspenders guy. I would send in the CHL 100, the fingerprint form, the checklist, and anything else listed that you need to send (DD 214 etc.). I figure if they don't want it, they can round file it. MAKE COPIES before you mail anything.
    I would send a copy of the FAST receipt too. It does not hurt, and just in case something got screwed up, DPS will have the reference number to find it. And yes, be sure to send in a copy of the DD214 if applicable. The long sheet that has the type of discharge at the bottom.
    USMC Retired - DAV Life Member - VFW Life Member - NRA Life Member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”