Disqualifying?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RedRaiderCHL
Posts in topic: 3

Disqualifying?

Post by RedRaiderCHL »

I am 22 now and have completed the CHL process and am awaiting the plastic in the mail. When i was 20 (a month before i turned 21) i received a Minor in Consumption citation and was sent on my way in a county far far away from the one i live in here in Texas (however it was a citation given in Texas) I was given deferred adjudication and paid some fines and did community service and an alcohol class and I was told that if 6 months after turning 21 i did not receive another alcohol offense i would be cleared and that MIC would not show up on my record. I didn't think about it at the time of my application but do you think that not disclosing that would be a disqualifier?

I have had criminal background checks run by the city i live in since then and they come up clean but I am not sure if this failure to disclose this little mixup about the Class C misdemeanor (MIC) would hold up my application status or disqualify it.

Any Idea?
Thanks
Know guns, know peace and safety. No guns, no peace nor safety.

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Disqualifying?

Post by Jumping Frog »

A Class C misdemeanor (except disorderly conduct) does not disqualify a person from a CHL.

However, failure to disclose something on the application is not only grounds for denial, it can also be charged as a criminal offense in its own right.

Thus, there is no disadvantage to disclosing and a large potential disadvantage for failing to disclose. I know what I would do.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

jmra

Post by jmra »

It seems most posters here on the forum who unintentionally omitted non disqualifying events received a letter from DPS asking for documentation related to the event. Here are your options:
1. Wait and see what happens.
2. Inform DPS of the omission.

As JF stated in the previous post, I know what I'd do.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

He was given a ticket, not arrested. I don't beliieve he was required to disclose it.
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

Topic author
RedRaiderCHL

Post by RedRaiderCHL »

i appreciate the input from everyone. I am going to wait and see what DPS does and if they contact me about it i will be cooperative, as i am not hiding anything, it just did not occur to me at the time to put it down. Mainly because a year after it happened I got my chauffeurs license and that requires no misdemeanor convictions in the last five years and they sent me a copy of my DPS criminal background check and it was clean.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

If you were not arrested then it is a non-issue.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
RedRaiderCHL

Post by RedRaiderCHL »

Thanks everyone for the help and input. Talked to DPS yesterday and they said my CHL was mailed out on the 16th.. hope to have it in hand soon! Thanks again!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”