Carry in restaurant with bar...

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Carry in restaurant with bar...

Post by Jumping Frog »

CHLLady wrote:Ugh! Lesson learned, call when in doubt. :grumble
Never call a business. Just as likely to get them considering whether they want guns or not, whereas before most businesses haven't even considered the issue.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

ghostrider
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ghostrider »

Never call a business. Just as likely to get them considering whether they want guns or not, whereas before most businesses haven't even considered the issue.
agreed. no reason to give them the opportunity to make the wrong choice :-)

can't speak for other cities, but I have yet to see a valid 30.06 sign in any Austin restaurant.

where it starts to get fuzzy is a hotel that contains a restaurant with a bar and a separate lounge (read: bar). Its possible the lounge is posted 51% (red sign), but no where else.
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

poppo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by poppo »

LabRat wrote: While it's considered good planning not to drink while carrying a firearm, is there any reason why you would think drinking by a CHL is prohibited?
There is no specific limit to be considered "intoxicated". So while it may not actually be prohibited, it might as well be, since it will end up being a judgment call.

"Texas Penal Code §46.035 states it is unlawful for an individual who is intoxicated to carry a concealed handgun. The Penal Code defines “intoxicated” as not having the normal use of mental or physical faculties by reason of the introduction of alcohol, a controlled substance, a drug, a dangerous drug, a combination of two or more of those substances, or any other substance in the body."

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/CHL/faqs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
USMC Retired - DAV Life Member - VFW Life Member - NRA Life Member

CHLLady

Post by CHLLady »

SigM4 wrote:
CHLLady wrote:I faced a similar dilemma this past week. I checked the restaurant's website and it said nothing about 30.06. I decide not to carry. Upon entering the restaurant there were no signs at all, not even the "Unlicensed possession" sign. Kicked myself all through dinner. Arrived at sunset, but left at 9 pm. I was not happy going to my vehicle in the dark, even with other passengers, since I was the DD.

Ugh! Lesson learned, call when in doubt. :grumble
Problem with calling is you're now giving them the ability to verbally tell you you can't carry. Why even open that door? My suggestion is to simply show up armed as you normally would. If you see a 30.06 or correct 51% sign you can excuse yourself to go disarm in the car. Usually I'd say not to even frequent such an establishment, but I understand sometimes it can't be helped when with a group.

Bottom line, don't call to ask, most places though not posted would probably tell you you can't carry as a standard response.

So true! I did not consider it. I will follow you guys' advice. Thank you!
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

poppo wrote:
LabRat wrote: While it's considered good planning not to drink while carrying a firearm, is there any reason why you would think drinking by a CHL is prohibited?
There is no specific limit to be considered "intoxicated". So while it may not actually be prohibited, it might as well be, since it will end up being a judgment call.

"Texas Penal Code §46.035 states it is unlawful for an individual who is intoxicated to carry a concealed handgun. The Penal Code defines “intoxicated” as not having the normal use of mental or physical faculties by reason of the introduction of alcohol, a controlled substance, a drug, a dangerous drug, a combination of two or more of those substances, or any other substance in the body."

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/CHL/faqs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is and "might as well be" are two different things.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

poppo

Post by poppo »

mojo84 wrote:
poppo wrote:

Is and "might as well be" are two different things.
If the end result is the same, then IMO there is no real difference.
USMC Retired - DAV Life Member - VFW Life Member - NRA Life Member

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

I use an app on my phone called Spirits Texas. It ties into the TABC database and lists nearby restaurants, stores, etc, along with their license status. Plus ties into Google Maps for street views and directions. Very handy. I use the free version with no issues.

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

In that kind of a situation watch this. " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ralewis

Post by ralewis »

gljjt wrote:I use an app on my phone called Spirits Texas. It ties into the TABC database and lists nearby restaurants, stores, etc, along with their license status. Plus ties into Google Maps for street views and directions. Very handy. I use the free version with no issues.
I use it also. Find it very useful.

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

awesome app guys, saves me some serious time!
FYI, I couldn't find it in the google play store, but searching on a computer showed it and I could install it via that way.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

TresHuevos

Post by TresHuevos »

gljjt wrote:I use an app on my phone called Spirits Texas. It ties into the TABC database and lists nearby restaurants, stores, etc, along with their license status. Plus ties into Google Maps for street views and directions. Very handy. I use the free version with no issues.
Thanks for the recommendation! I was surprised how few places come up as "No CHL", have you found this app to be accurate?
"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic deeds." - C.S. Lewis
My State Rep Joe Moody is a liberal puke who won't even acknowledge my communications with him. How about yours?

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

TresHuevos wrote:
Thanks for the recommendation! I was surprised how few places come up as "No CHL", have you found this app to be accurate?
Welcome to the forum. It is as accurate as the TABC online database. They pull the information straight from it. I understand the development was in partnership with the TABC. :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

GEM-Texas

Post by GEM-Texas »

A follow up - the Central Market in San Antonio has take down its incorrect 51% signs. So to stroke my ego, perhaps my conversation with the manager or other inputs casued this!
:clapping:

Dori

Post by Dori »

poppo wrote:There is no specific limit to be considered "intoxicated". So while it may not actually be prohibited, it might as well be, since it will end up being a judgment call.
That's right. If someone is sufficiently impaired they can be convicted of DWI even with a BAC much lower than 0.08.

drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

SigM4 wrote:
CHLLady wrote:I faced a similar dilemma this past week. I checked the restaurant's website and it said nothing about 30.06. I decide not to carry. Upon entering the restaurant there were no signs at all, not even the "Unlicensed possession" sign. Kicked myself all through dinner. Arrived at sunset, but left at 9 pm. I was not happy going to my vehicle in the dark, even with other passengers, since I was the DD.

Ugh! Lesson learned, call when in doubt. :grumble
Problem with calling is you're now giving them the ability to verbally tell you you can't carry. Why even open that door? My suggestion is to simply show up armed as you normally would. If you see a 30.06 or correct 51% sign you can excuse yourself to go disarm in the car. Usually I'd say not to even frequent such an establishment, but I understand sometimes it can't be helped when with a group.

Bottom line, don't call to ask, most places though not posted would probably tell you you can't carry as a standard response.
Not a good idea to leave your gun in the car. Thieves are watching the parking lot sometimes. Better to check out the TABC website and the 30.06 website before you go. http://www.texas3006.com
https://www.tabc.state.tx.us/PublicInquiry/Status.aspx

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”