Space Center Houston

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
oohrah
Posts in topic: 2

Space Center Houston

Post by oohrah »

I thought I would share my experience for the benefit of other out-of-towners who might be visiting Johnson Space Center in Clear Lake.

I was to drop off my granddaughter at space camp at NASA and pick her up later in the day, and wondered if I could keep my guns locked in my car, since it was federal property (subject of an earlier thread). Being from out of town, I had no other place to store them, but finally was able to make arrangements with a local friend.

Turns out, if I had a done a bit more research, I wouldn't have had a problem at all. Space camp was at Space Center Houston, not Johnson Space Center.

Space Center Houston is the JSC's visitor center. It is owned by NASA, but operated by a non-profit contractor, and it IS NOT on federal property, so it falls under Texas laws. They do have a very prominent and large 30.06 sign at the entrance, but I could have quite legally left my guns locked in my trunk during my stop. Once I noticed the 30.06, I checked it out on Texas3006.com and was able to verify the other info I found out. Hope this helps somebody.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Keith B

Re: Space Center Houston

Post by Keith B »

Actually, the building and land ARE federal property, even though it is ran by a non-profit. I used to be one of the officials for the balloon festival they hosted. The Director is a friend of mine and I was able to verify the ownership of the property.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Post by C-dub »

Fair Park, here in Dallas, used to try that whole "the property is managed by" thing with regards to prohibiting CHLs from carrying. The place is owned by Dallas, but they would say that the property is managed by someone else and Platinum Security prohibits all weapons. Some of the zoo's also try that. It doesn't matter who manages or is leasing the property. If it's owned by NASA, it's federal property.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Keith, then the posting on texas3006.com is wrong, but there is no reference. I can't find any reference specifically one way or the other. Better to err on the side of caution I suppose.

I will challenge the posting on texas3006.com. Thanks for the follow up.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

oohrah wrote:Keith, then the posting on texas3006.com is wrong, but there is no reference. I can't find any reference specifically one way or the other. Better to err on the side of caution I suppose.

I will challenge the posting on texas3006.com. Thanks for the follow up.
I took care of the notes as I am a Moderator there as well. :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

Things change. I recall a high school trip in the 80's and we parked near the rockets at the JSC and walked in to the buildings for a tour. Now they restrict everything.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

I am visiting the NASA center with kids. Can I keep my EDC in the trunk? I am not leaving it at the Hotel.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

I called and the operator said it is fine as long as it stays in the trunk of the car.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Beiruty wrote:I am visiting the NASA center with kids. Can I keep my EDC in the trunk? I am not leaving it at the Hotel.
Beiruty wrote:I called and the operator said it is fine as long as it stays in the trunk of the car.
Beiruty,

I live on the far west side of Houston, so when I visited NASA (and did not want to be disarmed during the remainder of the day that I was NOT inside), I left mine at a local gun store nearby. You can read about it here.

While it might be legal to leave it in your car in the NASA parking lot (per the operator's statement), this is an option for you - just in case you doubt the operator's full knowledge of the law. Have a safe drive down to Houston from DFW.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

and take the level 9 tour...its worth the 100 buckaroos

we left ours locked in the safe in the truck.
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”