Request for a Brief History on Notice Requirements

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
hpcatx
Posts in topic: 2

Request for a Brief History on Notice Requirements

Post by hpcatx »

Would you all please briefly school me in the history of notice requirements in Texas? Since the inception of CHL licensing, has there been specific language required for signage to be enforceable? Or were language requirements introduced later or incrementally? I assume this goes back to 4413, but were there germane laws prior to that? I generally consider myself to be somewhat savvy at cursory "internet research," but I'm at a loss as to understanding the legislative and political histories behind the current 30.06 requirements.

To frame the context of these questions, I now (for the past two and a half years) unfortunately live in a state that does not have specific requirements for signage prohibiting concealed carry. While I do miss countless things about the great state of Texas, the requirements of 30.06 (along with state preemption for publicly owned facilities) has to be towards to top of my list. I'm curious if that requirement in Texas, or anywhere else for that matter, was added over time.

Mods, please move this thread if there's a more appropriate forum.

Many thanks!
"We have four boxes with which to defend our freedom: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." - L. McDonald

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Request for a Brief History on Notice Requirements

Post by Jumping Frog »

It was a change from the original CHL law. After CHL was passed in 1995, gunbuster signs started popping up everywhere. In the 1997 session, 30.06 was added. It has since been amended a few times.
Added by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 1261, Sec. 23, eff. Sept. 1, 1997. Amended by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 62, Sec. 9.24, eff. Sept. 1, 1999; Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 1178, Sec. 2, eff. Sept. 1, 2003.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Post by C-dub »

Having not lived in other states in my adult life to be aware of such changes anywhere else except for Kansas. I have family there and travel there quite a bit. Their laws have changed a little bit over time. IIRC, gunbuster signs do have the force of law there. OC has always been legal in the state, but not many people did it until a few years ago. When more and more people were seen doing that more gunbuster signs started showing up affecting CC. However, the signs were different sizes and would be placed just about anywhere. Then about 3-5 years ago, KS changed the requirement for the size and location of a sign to be effective notice. I'm not sure of the size requirement, but the location must be within a certain height, generally at eye level, and within about 4-5 of an entrance. The details might be a little off, but the notification requirements have changed over time as I'm sure they have for many states.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
hpcatx
Posts in topic: 2

Post by hpcatx »

Thank you, both! Now, off to lobby our legislators to improve our CC laws.
C-dub wrote:OC has always been legal in the state, but not many people did it until a few years ago. When more and more people were seen doing that more gunbuster signs started showing up affecting CC.
This is exactly what happened at a prominent grocery store chain here. Someone more interested in personal attention (filmed the LEO encounter that ensued and posted to YouTube) than furthering his actual 2A rights caused all the locations in the region to post restrictive signs. I often feel that if this state had better requirements, like the 30.06 in Texas, the sheeple would be feel safe (criminals abide by gun buster signs, right?) and those interested in protecting ourselves and loved ones would still have the means.
"We have four boxes with which to defend our freedom: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." - L. McDonald

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”