We bought our father a gun..

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
68Charger
Posts in topic: 2

We bought our father a gun..

Post by 68Charger »

Back in 1994, our apartment got burglarized and some valuables were stolen, and one of them was my father's old Ruger Security Six .357, 4" stainless revolver. It was given to him by his step father before he passed.

My brother and I spent a good 6 years trying to find one for him, and at a reasonable price. We saw plenty of them priced extremely way too high at gun shows and ma and pop gun stores, even some that had a longer barrel or a blue finish. We'd even go to pawn shops from time to time to see if we can find it. Long behold, my brother just so happened to pop into a pawn shop and saw it. He called me and we bought it.

We were going to surprise him this Sunday around the afternoon time, but he called us up and asked if we wanted to go to the range with my uncle. My uncle has been desperately wanting to go for some time, and the timing couldn't have been more perfect.

Needless to say, he loved it. I don't think I have ever seen my father so thankful before. Kind of made us all choke up a bit.

It's amazing what some guns can do to a family of men. :cheers2: :patriot:

We had fun at the range! :txflag:

The revolver we gave him is the only revolver on the table. She's beautiful! :tiphat: :fire

We don't need no stinking badges!

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Re: We bought our father a gun..

Post by Jumping Frog »

What a great son!

Back in the 70's when I turned 21, the first handgun I purchased for myself was a Ruger Security Six in stainless with a 4" barrel. Looked identical to your picture with the same wood grips.

It was stolen by my then fiance's brother in 1981.

If my children bought one for me, I'd be very moved.

If you don't mind me asking, what are they worth these days?
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Steamboat

Post by Steamboat »

It's amazing what some guns can do to a family of men. :cheers2: :patriot:

We had fun at the range! :txflag:

Image[/quote]

Nice assortment! I know your Dad has to be proud.
Congratulations on finding a new gun for him.
"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." — Will Rogers

howdy

Post by howdy »

Gun Broker has a few for sale.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Topic author
68Charger
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 68Charger »

Jumping Frog wrote:
If you don't mind me asking, what are they worth these days?
We found it for $350. They usually go for bout $500-600 depending on where you look. Local gun shops gouged at $650-750 for extremely hideous ones.. And the majority we saw were not even cleaned.

howdy wrote:Gun Broker has a few for sale.
We looked on gun broker, guns america, etc.. And we understand why some of them were so cheap in price. They were blemishing, had a LOT of holster wear, or we couldn't find it in stainless or a 4" barrel.

This gun is in immaculate condition. The people we bought it from said it was an older man never shot it and stayed in his closet for decades. The man wanted to help with his daughters financial situation so he sold it.

And I do mean pristine condition. It looks great for being manufactured in 1979.
We don't need no stinking badges!

Busykngt

Post by Busykngt »

That full size stainless 1911 must be a S&W Model 108282 - judging by the external extractor - I've got one just like it I picked up "used" (had never been shot by it's owner) for $600, that was three years ago and about $300 under the going 'street price' at the time for this NIB S&W 1911 model. It's a great handgun, with a great factory trigger - I've been berry, berry pleased with mine! :thumbs2:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”