Looking for a good 40cal ccw

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

WinoVeritas
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Looking for a good 40cal ccw

Post by WinoVeritas »

tomdavis wrote:I have the S&W Shield in 9mm and even though I have large hands it is great. I like it as my wife can also shoot it comfortably. It comes in the 40 and 45. I am sure the 45 would be too much for the pistol's weight but a 40 could work.
.45 Shield not shown on S&W site - wasn't aware they had one. In any case, the .40 is one snappy load - my favorite carry is the Taurus PT740 Slim and it is one feisty pistol compared to it's sister PT709 9MM. If a .45 is made in Shield I would think it would be less feisty than the .40. My carry this month is my M&P40C - it too is as feisty as the 740.

ShootDontTalk
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ShootDontTalk »

tomdavis wrote:I have the S&W Shield in 9mm and even though I have large hands it is great. I like it as my wife can also shoot it comfortably. It comes in the 40 and 45. I am sure the 45 would be too much for the pistol's weight but a 40 could work.
The Shield is not currently offered in .45. Looking at one closely I suspect you could not make the current design work because of the increased diameter of the cartridge. It would need a complete redesign.

About .40's: I have carried a Glock 23 for many years. It is a great EDC gun in my opinion. Even more concealable is the Glock 27. I carry mine when I need deeper concealment. Sorry...everybody carrying a Glock at work made me a believer.

If you want a small .45, I like the new Glock 30S. 10+1 in a package about the size of the G23/19. The Glock 36 is great for even deeper concealment as it is a single stack. The Shield is a great gun in a perfectly sized package for smaller hands or deep concealment. My wife would not part with hers for anything. I haven't shot the Shield in .40 but then recoil has never bothered me.
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!
Eli Wallach on concealed carry while taking a bubble bath

ripnbst
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ripnbst »

For a compact .45 check out the M&P 45c, that may be the one you are thinking of rather than the shield. It's only slightly larger than the shield and is smaller than the G23, G19, etc.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”