Cinemark vs AMC theaters

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Rhino1
Posts in topic: 2

Cinemark vs AMC theaters

Post by Rhino1 »

I rarely go to the movies. In the last couple of years, I've been to AMC Gulfpointe twice as I recall. They clearly have 30.06 signs posted. A few weeks ago, we made one of those rare trips for our anniversary. This time we went to Cinemark in Webster because there were a few restaurants nearby. I was pleased to see NO 30.06 sign. I subsequently went by their location in Pasadena and today by Pearland. I wanted to assure that Webster wasn't an anomaly. It appears that NO Cinemark is posted while ALL AMC theaters are.

The point of this post is to promote Cinemark theaters if you are so inclined. While I support the right of a business to post their property, I will always look for an alternative for the same "product". I also see a difference between an individual business owner's decision to post as opposed to some corporate policy, possibly from outside Texas.
The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

RottenApple
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Cinemark vs AMC theaters

Post by RottenApple »

Rhino1 wrote:I rarely go to the movies. In the last couple of years, I've been to AMC Gulfpointe twice as I recall. They clearly have 30.06 signs posted. A few weeks ago, we made one of those rare trips for our anniversary. This time we went to Cinemark in Webster because there were a few restaurants nearby. I was pleased to see NO 30.06 sign. I subsequently went by their location in Pasadena and today by Pearland. I wanted to assure that Webster wasn't an anomaly. It appears that NO Cinemark is posted while ALL AMC theaters are.

The point of this post is to promote Cinemark theaters if you are so inclined. While I support the right of a business to post their property, I will always look for an alternative for the same "product". I also see a difference between an individual business owner's decision to post as opposed to some corporate policy, possibly from outside Texas.
I have yet to see an AMC that is 30.06 posted. Oh, they all put up an 8.5x11 piece of paper with the right words on it, but that does not meet the 30.06 requirements.

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SQLGeek »

I agree with you. In addition, the local Cinemark is cheaper, cleaner and has friendlier employees.
Psalm 91:2

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

The Cedar Park Cinemark is a favorite family hangout. PLus its next to Mighty Fine Burgers. Yum.

I wouldn't go to a 30.06 posted theater if I knew about it.

RetNavy

Post by RetNavy »

the Cinemark 8 here in Paris is the only theater in 50 miles and it does not have a 30.06 posted. It has two gun buster signs in the lower corners of the ticket window and a no weapons allowed sign on the stand going to the theaters... both time since receiving my plastic have carried there with no problems
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

mr1337
Posts in topic: 4

Post by mr1337 »

RottenApple wrote:I have yet to see an AMC that is 30.06 posted. Oh, they all put up an 8.5x11 piece of paper with the right words on it, but that does not meet the 30.06 requirements.
There's some Regal Cinemas nearby with improper signage, but I'm still going to go out of my way to support businesses that don't try suppress my rights. They have made their intention clear that they don't want my business.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

scottmeador

Post by scottmeador »

The Cinemark across the highway has a generic "Firearms Prohibited". The wife and I walk right past it carrying every time.

RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

mr1337 wrote:There's some Regal Cinemas nearby with improper signage, but I'm still going to go out of my way to support businesses that don't try suppress my rights. They have made their intention clear that they don't want my business.
You're right. By not posting a 30.06 sign they have made clear that they don't want to prohibit CHL holders from entering. But that really neither here nor there. The OP stated that AMC theaters were posted 30.06. I merely pointed out that this was false.

Topic author
Rhino1

Post by Rhino1 »

Don't want to get into legal vs illegal 30.06 pissing contest. My point was AMC is posted and Cinemark is not. I would prefer to do business with one that makes no attempt at preventing concealed carry, rather than bring my ruler and measure the size of the letters.
The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

Rhino1 wrote:Don't want to get into legal vs illegal 30.06 pissing contest. My point was AMC is posted and Cinemark is not. I would prefer to do business with one that makes no attempt at preventing concealed carry, rather than bring my ruler and measure the size of the letters.
I understand what you're saying, but there is no such thing as an "illegal" or "invalid" 30.06 sign. It either meets the requirements and is a 30.06 sign or it's not. Period. The 30.06 statute specifically states that an 8.5x11 sheet of paper does NOT meet the requirements. There's no need to pull out a ruler at all.

And, has been noted, Cinemark theaters do post "firearms prohibited" and other non-30.06 signs. Do you obey those as well? After all, they are "attempting" to prevent concealed carry.

:tiphat:

android

Post by android »

RottenApple wrote: And, has been noted, Cinemark theaters do post "firearms prohibited" and other non-30.06 signs. Do you obey those as well? After all, they are "attempting" to prevent concealed carry.

:tiphat:
No, they are trying to remind people that are carrying firearms illegally that they should take them home before entering. ;-)

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

RottenApple wrote:And, has been noted, Cinemark theaters do post "firearms prohibited" and other non-30.06 signs. Do you obey those as well? After all, they are "attempting" to prevent concealed carry.
Haven't seen them do that around here, but if/when they do, I might just need to go to the Alamo Drafthouse from then on out.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

bigity

Post by bigity »

You are much better off going there anyway.
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

Yeah but they sell out pretty quickly for popular shows on the weekend. I haven't noticed any anti-gun signs at the Cinemarks nearby, so I'll carry on there until they post something.
Keep calm and carry.

JKTex

Post by JKTex »

Rhino1 wrote:Don't want to get into legal vs illegal 30.06 pissing contest. My point was AMC is posted and Cinemark is not. I would prefer to do business with one that makes no attempt at preventing concealed carry, rather than bring my ruler and measure the size of the letters.
Rotten Apple is right. If by "posted" you mean as most do, meets the requirement of law, then by your account AMC is not "posted" although your opinion is that they are which is wrong. Is not meeting the requirement of law by design? Many say yes. AMC is big enough to have more than adequate council and those kinds of things aren't done without legal council in large corporations.

If you were to carry and for some reason someone found out, a Manager asking you to leave does meet the requirement of law of giving you effective notice. You leave or you don't, if you don't you can get hooked up for criminal trespass.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”