Carrying at the Rodeo??

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
djdonte
Posts in topic: 3

Carrying at the Rodeo??

Post by djdonte »

http://www.rodeohouston.com/GuestServic ... y-measures" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you check the above link, it says people who have CHLs will be cleared by LEO... does that mean we can carry there? I thought the rodeo was sort of a sporting event. Also, the gun show next weekend is at NRG as well, is it correct to assume that since NRG stadium is owned by the city, they cannot post valid 30.06 signs, assuming I'm going to a gun show and not a football game? I've only been to gun shows at GRB, and I didnt hold a CHL at the time. What are yalls experiences carrying at gun shows
?

howdy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Carrying at the Rodeo??

Post by howdy »

This is just an opinion and I am sure one of the legal types will jump in here. I think they will clear a CHL into the rodeo grounds where there are concessions and rides, etc. You must have a ticket to go into the actual rodeo in the stadium and that IS a professional sporting event and I think off limits. I know there was some discussion about the Houston rodeo not being a part of the "professional rodeo tour" but that might be splitting hairs. Most people just go to the outside events. Parking is always a problem. I will let the Metro Bus issue be discussed later.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Topic author
djdonte

Post by djdonte »

Yes parking is a nightmare there. I would hate to walk all that way to find that I need to turn around and go back to my car.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Rodeo is a professional sporting event, so no carry at the rodeo. Outside of the rodeo, then it may be legal if there are no other restrictions.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

ralewis

Post by ralewis »

This thread brings up an interesting question (to me anyway). What is the definition of a professional sporting event? Sure, a lot of things are obvious (Rangers/Cowboys/Dallas Stars game/Golf Tournament). But my first thought was the rodeo doesn't seem to be, though I have to confess I don't know a lot about rodeos. Are the contestants competing for cash prizes? Are there rodeo teams?

Does a competition for a cash prize establish the threshold for a professional sporting event? Does getting paid for any level of physical or skill competition establish the threshold?

If cash prizes (or things of value) for competing are a threshold, what about a Texas Holdem tournament? How bout a dance or vocal competition where the winner gets a some something of value for winning (contract with a recording company, etc) ? What about the circus, though there is no competition I'd imagine, but the participants are paid?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I really am curious about what makes something a professional sporting event?

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

ralewis wrote:This thread brings up an interesting question (to me anyway). What is the definition of a professional sporting event? Sure, a lot of things are obvious (Rangers/Cowboys/Dallas Stars game/Golf Tournament). But my first thought was the rodeo doesn't seem to be, though I have to confess I don't know a lot about rodeos. Are the contestants competing for cash prizes? Are there rodeo teams?

Does a competition for a cash prize establish the threshold for a professional sporting event? Does getting paid for any level of physical or skill competition establish the threshold?

If cash prizes (or things of value) for competing are a threshold, what about a Texas Holdem tournament? How bout a dance or vocal competition where the winner gets a some something of value for winning (contract with a recording company, etc) ? What about the circus, though there is no competition I'd imagine, but the participants are paid?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I really am curious about what makes something a professional sporting event?
Te circus is professional, but not a 'sporting' event. If the event is defined as a sport, and the participants are paid professionals (i.e. full-time job), then you can says it's off limits. NASCAR, PRCA, NHRA, NBA, NFL, MLB, WBA, PGA, etc would all be professional sporting events. Even PBA (bowling) would be a professional sporting event
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

longhorn86

Post by longhorn86 »

Keith,
I certainly understand the statute regarding professional sporting events, but how do you interpret the meaning of " CHL's will be cleared by LEO?"

djdonte wrote:http://www.rodeohouston.com/GuestServic ... y-measures
If you check the above link, it says people who have CHLs will be cleared by LEO...
NRA Life Member

mojo84
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mojo84 »

longhorn86 wrote:Keith,
I certainly understand the statute regarding professional sporting events, but how do you interpret the meaning of " CHL's will be cleared by LEO?"

If you check the above link, it says people who have CHLs will be cleared by LEO...

I read that as they will clear you to enter the grounds. The grounds in my mind are the livestock show, carnival and events other than the rodeo. The rodeo is off limits by statute.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

GlockDude26

Post by GlockDude26 »

We the state of Texas trust you as a CHL holder to carry a handgun for self defense....but only sometimes in certain places..... i'm sure i'll be ridiculed for this but when you really stop and think about it where is the logic in this? i think the number one issue that needs to be fixed is carrying everywhere an off duty leo can carry. does that mean we all get to play barney fife? no, but having to go to websites and checking to see where we are "allowed" to carry gets old.
"Our houses are protected by the Good Lord and a gun, you might em both if you show up here not welcome son" Josh Thompson- Way out here (best song ever) "eventually all citizens will become criminals with enough legislation....."

Topic author
djdonte

Post by djdonte »

GlockDude26 wrote:We the state of Texas trust you as a CHL holder to carry a handgun for self defense....but only sometimes in certain places..... i'm sure i'll be ridiculed for this but when you really stop and think about it where is the logic in this? i think the number one issue that needs to be fixed is carrying everywhere an off duty leo can carry. does that mean we all get to play barney fife? no, but having to go to websites and checking to see where we are "allowed" to carry gets old.
I agree with you... all the trouble we went thru to get a CHL proves that were not just some rednecks looking for trouble. But that's the way the game is played unfortunately.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

mojo84 wrote:
longhorn86 wrote:Keith,

I read that as they will clear you to enter the grounds. The grounds in my mind are the livestock show, carnival and events other than the rodeo. The rodeo is off limits by statute.
:iagree: A LEO or even the Governor cannot give you permission to carry at a proffesional sporting event as it is stautorily off-limits. It is very similar to the Texas State Fair where you can carry at the fair, but you cannot carry into the Cotton Bowl during the game.
Keith

tommyg

Post by tommyg »

Gun free zones are an open invite for persons with criminal intent :leaving
N.R.A. benefactor Member :tiphat: Please Support the N.R.A. :patriot:

mojo84
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mojo84 »

tommyg wrote:Gun free zones are an open invite for persons with criminal intent :leaving
Really?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

It states before entering the grounds. That tells me that you can carry at the midway, all of the exhibits but by statute, you cannot carry into the rodeo itself.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

GlockDude26 wrote:We the state of Texas trust you as a CHL holder to carry a handgun for self defense....but only sometimes in certain places..... i'm sure i'll be ridiculed for this but when you really stop and think about it where is the logic in this? i think the number one issue that needs to be fixed is carrying everywhere an off duty leo can carry. does that mean we all get to play barney fife? no, but having to go to websites and checking to see where we are "allowed" to carry gets old.

The law banning CHL holders from carrying into a professional sporting event is something I would like to see retracted sometime this decade. I remember Dallas Cowboy stadium banning off duty LEOs from carrying, the state stepped in and forced them to allow it.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”