What if you get caught holstering/unholstering?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Saffron
Posts in topic: 3

Re: What if you get caught holstering/unholstering?

Post by Saffron »

sbrawley wrote:If one does get caught, I guess the best to hope for is either an understanding pro-gun DA or a really good defense lawyer.
That is true for a lot of crimes.

So is the "don't get caught" rule.
:leaving
I do know my Bible, sir.

Texas_Blaze
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Texas_Blaze »

sbrawley wrote:.....What would happen if someone called the police because they spotted you un-holstering/re-holstering before and after conducting business in a posted establishment?
not a jab at the op, but this type of nonsense drives me up a wall. Do we have 2A rights o not? What I do in my car is my business. We seem to only have freedom that is allowed by our benevolent overseers.
Distinguished author of opinions and pro bono self proclaimed internet lawyer providing expert advice on what you should do and believe on all matters of life.

Saffron

Post by Saffron »

Voting is a right. That's why literacy tests and poll fees/taxes aren't kosher.
I do know my Bible, sir.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

mojo84 wrote:The investigators told me many people will get out of their car and move items to the trunk thinking that is safer. He said the trunks are just as easy to open as the doors if one knows how. The thugs know there is somethjng worthwhile in the trunk since they see the people putting it there.
One more reason to get a trunk monkey. :biggrinjester:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

CHLLady

Post by CHLLady »

Confused here, I thought whether you have CHL or not it's ok to have your gun in your car. How is it illegal for people to see you unholstering/unholstering in your car? :confused5 I've done it in the car a few times trying to be discreet for sure...
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

Jason K
Banned

Post by Jason K »

How would this meet the definition of "intentional display"?

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

Like others, I tend to arrange things before getting to the destination but here is also where good tinting on a vehicle comes in handy. I also keep a towel in the front seat that is easily used to help keep a firearm concealed when moving it from one place to another.
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

Busykngt

Post by Busykngt »

TexasGal wrote:I also keep a towel in the front seat...
I'm kinda thinking that's a good idea anyway. Wish I'd had one with me last week
when I was bringing my wife home from her colonoscopy. Thank goodness I took
that big plastic bag the hospital gives you to put your clothes in! :lol:

TomsTXCHL

Post by TomsTXCHL »

CHLLady wrote:Confused here, I thought whether you have CHL or not it's ok to have your gun in your car. How is it illegal for people to see you unholstering/unholstering in your car? :confused5 I've done it in the car a few times trying to be discreet for sure...
I had the same question. Ignoring for the moment the possibility you'd (stupidly) expose your carry-ness to a BG, is it Truly against the law to do this i.e. if someone spots you unholstering in your vehicle and calls the cops, you are in violation of the law for having exposed the handgun in your vehicle?

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I believe it's required to be concealed under both CHL and MPA statutes.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

bigity

Post by bigity »

The new laws require the 'intentional failure' to conceal, I think. Not sure on the exact wording without checking.

But who wants to risk it? My CHL instructor said if you accidentally reveal, call 911 and tell them what happened. I guess the idea is that calling them yourself beats 911 getting a random call about a guy with a gun down at the mall.
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

Ameer

Post by Ameer »

If the gun falls out of the holster that's probably an accident. If somebody pulls their gun out of their holster that seems like an intentional act. To normal people. Texas law is different. There's a higher standard for intentionally doing something versus knowingly doing something.
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Intentionally display would seem to indicate that you wanted someone to see the firearm. I'm sure it'll be explained to me half a dozen ways, but I really can't understand how quickly unholstering in a vehicle, where it is exposed for such a very shot time, and then putting it under cover is intentionally displaying the firearm.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”