CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TexTider
Posts in topic: 1

Another Eligibility Scenario

Post by TexTider »

TIA,

I got arrested in AL for a completely bogus theft charge, in which the video evidence made it completely clear that I had absolutely nothing to do with the incident. This was in March 2010, and the charges were just dropped. Not "Not Guilty". Still infuriates me.

In February of 2009 I was charged and found guilty of a minor in possession of alcohol, and the lowest degree of criminal mischief (I was 20, and accidentally broke the glass door to my apartment building). I only had to pay restitution on the Criminal Mischief, and I took some classes for the MIPA and got a probation that I fulfilled the obligations of.

I was able to attain a carry permit in AL in 2012 after all of this, but I had to get a disposition on the theft arrest to give the sheriff's office. (Which was in the same municipality of the charge! Why can't they do that internally?!)

Should I be good to go? Will I have to submit a disposition or any extra paperwork? Or do I just make sure to tell them about it on the application? Also, I'm kind of fuzzy of the exact dates of these incidents. Will they skewer me if I get the year or month wrong? (poor memory for stuff like that :oops: )

Thanks for your help, and I hope I don't come across as a heathen :txflag:

Keith B

Re: Another Eligibility Scenario

Post by Keith B »

Welcome to the forum. :tiphat:

The MIP charge should not be a disqualifier, but the Criminal Mischief will be more than likely. In Alabama, 3rd degree Criminal Mischief is a Class B misdemeanor.
Section 13A-7-23 - Criminal mischief in the third degree.

(a) A person commits the crime of criminal mischief in the third degree if, with intent to damage property, and having no right to do so or any reasonable ground to believe that he or she has such a right, he or she inflicts damages to property in an amount not exceeding five hundred dollars ($500).

(b) Criminal mischief in the third degree is a Class B misdemeanor.

(Acts 1977, No. 607, p. 812, §2707; Act 2003-355, p. 962, §1.)
So, since it is a class B you would have to wait 5 years before applying which would be sometime this year depending on the date of the conviction.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Ameer

Post by Ameer »

If you were arrested you need to disclose it unless the records were sealed or expunged. Sending a copy of the dispositions, including the charges dismissed, can only make things go faster once it hits somebody's desk. Making their job easy pays off.
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

infoman

Post by infoman »

I agree with Keith.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”