Texas State Fair CHL Question

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Keith B
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Texas State Fair CHL Question

Post by Keith B »

I have heard several people quote things that [Pre-paid legal service] is apparently incorrectly telling them. One is that any 'No Gun's' sign is valid notification, and now this. I personally would not want to put my defense in the hands of someone who does not understand or interpret the laws well enough to know what's legal and what's not. :totap:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

C-dub
Posts in topic: 7

Post by C-dub »

Keith B wrote:I have heard several people quote things that [Pre-paid legal service] is apparently incorrectly telling them. One is that any 'No Gun's' sign is valid notification, and now this. I personally would not want to put my defense in the hands of someone who does not understand or interpret the laws well enough to know what's legal and what's not. :totap:
Yup. I told my friend that I knew some WAY better instructors if he'd like any references so he could retake the class and get correct information. I also referred him to this forum.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

jmra
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jmra »

I wouldn't give two cents to any instructor peddling [Pre-paid legal service].
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

cw3van

Post by cw3van »

jmra wrote:I wouldn't give two cents to any instructor peddling [Pre-paid legal service].
:iagree:
cw3van
Retired LEO
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member,

treeman

Post by treeman »

I've recently spent some time at the [Pre-paid legal service] forum and so far haven't seen any answers on the "Ask a Lawyer" section that seems out of line with what is generally accepted here. Maybe there are some individuals seemingly representing [pre-paid legal] that aren't really. In one instance I did see a reply indicating the a "no guns sign" did apply to concealed carry holders in Louisiana - which apparently it does.

drjoker
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by drjoker »

Most of the time, I just get waved through to the officer inside to check my CHL. However, about 20% of the time, I get a NAZI who will harass me on purpose by searching my bags and wanding me to search for a knife (really? why would I carry a knife when I've got a gun!), then they'd ask me to show them the gun (I told him that it is illegal to show the gun because it is a CONCEALED weapons law, so I'd yell politely for the officer to come back), and finally, the NAZIs love to lecture you about gun safety and ask you, "why do you need to bring a gun to the fair?" To which, I reply, "because it is my constitutional right and if you want less freedom, then please go to Cuba!"

If you get waved through to the officer inside, great! If they call an officer to you, instead, then you've got a NAZI.

One time, a NAZI was pawing through my possessions in my bag (illegal search without a warrant!), so I jacked with her and told her to be careful because I have a loaded gun inside the bag (I didn't, it was holstered IWB). Her eyes go wide as golf balls! Lol!

My advice is to just hide it in your boots, a small kel tec p3at or ruger lcp. Then, waltz on through without identifying yourself as a CHL. Or you can hide it inside your baseball cap, or... ankle holster or secret compartment in purse, etc. If you're really old, just tell 'em it's your implanted medical device.

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

drjoker wrote: My advice is to just hide it in your boots, a small kel tec p3at or ruger lcp. Then, waltz on through without identifying yourself as a CHL. Or you can hide it inside your baseball cap, or... ankle holster or secret compartment in purse, etc. If you're really old, just tell 'em it's your implanted medical device.
Horrible idea. I can see it going like this: walks around fair, turns head, weight of gun causes it come out from under hat, hits ground, people freak out or possibly goes off, etc...
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Mel

Post by Mel »

locke_n_load wrote:
drjoker wrote: My advice is to just hide it in your boots, a small kel tec p3at or ruger lcp. Then, waltz on through without identifying yourself as a CHL. Or you can hide it inside your baseball cap, or... ankle holster or secret compartment in purse, etc. If you're really old, just tell 'em it's your implanted medical device.
Horrible idea. I can see it going like this: walks around fair, turns head, weight of gun causes it come out from under hat, hits ground, people freak out or possibly goes off, etc...
Exactly! Everybody knows that if a gun falls onto the ground it will always discharge and kill someone!
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

Mel wrote:
locke_n_load wrote:
Exactly! Everybody knows that if a gun falls onto the ground it will always discharge and kill someone!
Always discharges in the movies! Just saying it is a very slight possibility. But I'm sure it would get some funny looks from the people around!
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

drjoker wrote:Most of the time, I just get waved through to the officer inside to check my CHL. However, about 20% of the time, I get a NAZI who will harass me on purpose by searching my bags and wanding me to search for a knife (really? why would I carry a knife when I've got a gun!), then they'd ask me to show them the gun (I told him that it is illegal to show the gun because it is a CONCEALED weapons law, so I'd yell politely for the officer to come back), and finally, the NAZIs love to lecture you about gun safety and ask you, "why do you need to bring a gun to the fair?" To which, I reply, "because it is my constitutional right and if you want less freedom, then please go to Cuba!"

If you get waved through to the officer inside, great! If they call an officer to you, instead, then you've got a NAZI.

One time, a NAZI was pawing through my possessions in my bag (illegal search without a warrant!), so I jacked with her and told her to be careful because I have a loaded gun inside the bag (I didn't, it was holstered IWB). Her eyes go wide as golf balls! Lol!

My advice is to just hide it in your boots, a small kel tec p3at or ruger lcp. Then, waltz on through without identifying yourself as a CHL. Or you can hide it inside your baseball cap, or... ankle holster or secret compartment in purse, etc. If you're really old, just tell 'em it's your implanted medical device.
I hope this is supposed to be a joke, because that is the absolute worst approach ever.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

Crossfire wrote:
drjoker wrote:Most of the time, I just get waved through to the officer inside to check my CHL. However, about 20% of the time, I get a NAZI who will harass me on purpose by searching my bags and wanding me to search for a knife (really? why would I carry a knife when I've got a gun!), then they'd ask me to show them the gun (I told him that it is illegal to show the gun because it is a CONCEALED weapons law, so I'd yell politely for the officer to come back), and finally, the NAZIs love to lecture you about gun safety and ask you, "why do you need to bring a gun to the fair?" To which, I reply, "because it is my constitutional right and if you want less freedom, then please go to Cuba!"

I hope this is supposed to be a joke, because that is the absolute worst approach ever.
Yes, joke. Remember, my name is "drJOKER". Glad you "got it." I do apologize for those of you who didn't "get it." :shock:

Remember, I did say that I've been to the State Fair many times, but always identified myself as a CHL. Just remember, that 80% of the time, it's all good, but 20% of the time, you'll get a NAZI. But, honestly, I might've brought it upon myself because of my NRA baseball cap.

My REAL non-joke advice is to just identify yourself as a CHL and if you get a NAZI, REFUSE to play their games and call for the police officer to come back. Do NOT show them your gun and certainly do NOT do anything else that is illegal if they request it.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 7

Post by C-dub »

I haven't been this year yet and am not sure we're going. In past years, the only person that I show my license to is the LEO. No one else needs to see it. I just ask or say that I need to speak to the officer. I don't even say why I need to speak to them and just hand the officer my license when I get to them.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Dadtodabone

Post by Dadtodabone »

I've been to the State Fair twice. Asked to speak to LEO, showed him CHL, entered fairgrounds. No problems, no drama. Probably because I'm old, decrepit and wear sensible shoes.
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

TBJK
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TBJK »

Well it was pretty easy. They did wand my wife & kids, which I thought was retarded.

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

Seems to me the fair would be an excellent place to pick up a mild case of ebola. Don't think we're going this year. :fire :cryin
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”