Fort Worth Zoo = Educational Institution

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
scottmeador

Fort Worth Zoo = Educational Institution

Post by scottmeador »

I was reading on texas3006.com that: "The FW zoo is now registered with the state as an educational institution. Therefore, all the laws that apply to schools also apply to them. They are not required to post 30.06 signs now just as schools are not required..." However, the land upon which it housed it owned by the COFW and is leased by the zoological society.

Under what part of the Education Code would could this facility be defined as and educational facility?

It would seem that they are posting the 30.06 for this reason...so would it be valid or not since it is in COFW property?
Last edited by scottmeador on Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Fort Worht Zoo = Educational Institution

Post by Keith B »

Where are you finding them listed as a certified educational institution or school?
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

MotherBear
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MotherBear »

Hm, guess I'll throw away that Fort Worth Zoo coupon I was holding onto just in case.

I take my kids places like that for homeschool field trips. If I'm technically in charge of my school (call me the board, administration, principal, whatever you like) and have my own permission to carry during school activities, I wonder if that overrides anything. :biggrinjester:

victory

Post by victory »

Even if it was true it would only apply inside buildings. Personally I wouldn't worry even inside buildings but I know other people draw their line other places.

denwego

Post by denwego »

They might be registered in some way as a facility which provides some education to the public, but that doesn't make them an "educational institution" according to either the state's Education Code or Government Code. Actual "educational institutions" require an approved curriculum in primary, secondary, postsecondary, college-level or graduate studies; they must be accredited as such by the state or a recognized private accrediting organization; they must issue degrees in a course of study; and possess many other sundry traits which make them schools and not just some place where "learning" occurs.

And while it's something of an idiom and not a real definition, most of the times that "educational institution" is mentioned in Texas codes, it refers to post-secondary education like colleges and universities, as opposed to K-12 schools - although that's not hard and fast, it's a very good guide for a court to gauge what the legislative intent of a statute is, which is what a court often does in ambiguous situations. That's an important distinction in many aspects of law, because universities are not considered "schools" for many statutes (think about the federal GFSZA, for example), but they're clearly a place of education in parallel with a traditional K-12 school.

Lastly, I would mention Penal Code sec. 1.05:
Sec. 1.05. CONSTRUCTION OF CODE. (a) The rule that a penal statute is to be strictly construed does not apply to this code. The provisions of this code shall be construed according to the fair import of their terms, to promote justice and effect the objectives of the code.
The fair import of "educational institution" excludes a zoo to a reasonable person, if you ask me. There's no promotion of justice if the usage of terminology is so twisted to make "zoo" synonymous with "school"... that ain't gonna fly.

android

Post by android »

Where's the press release? Sounds like utter rubbish...

the only state agency that could "certify" the zoo as a school would be the TEA (or TEPSAC for private schools).

However, the page where you can search for a district or school by name returns nothing when searching for the term "zoo."

http://mansfield.tea.state.tx.us/TEA.As ... /Home.aspx

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

android wrote: However, the page where you can search for a district or school by name returns nothing when searching for the term "zoo."

I'm suprised that the search doesn't return a list of most of the schools as many of them ARE zoo's these days. :roll:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

Under that kind of thinking all libraries would be educational institutions also.

Topic author
scottmeador

Post by scottmeador »

android wrote:Where's the press release? Sounds like utter rubbish...

the only state agency that could "certify" the zoo as a school would be the TEA (or TEPSAC for private schools).

However, the page where you can search for a district or school by name returns nothing when searching for the term "zoo."

Thank you very much for the link. I was stuck trying to find a searchable database.

Indeed there is nothing with "zoo" included in the name listed!

JKTex

Re: Fort Worth Zoo = Educational Institution

Post by JKTex »

scottmeador wrote:I was reading on texas3006.com that: "The FW zoo is now registered with the state as an educational institution. Therefore, all the laws that apply to schools also apply to them. They are not required to post 30.06 signs now just as schools are not required..." However, the land upon which it housed it owned by the COFW and is leased by the zoological society.

Under what part of the Education Code would could this facility be defined as and educational facility?

It would seem that they are posting the 30.06 for this reason...so would it be valid or not since it is in COFW property?
You were reading what some random person said they heard, or thought or dreamed. It's bunk. That means "poop" for you youngn's. :mrgreen:

Deltaboy

Re: Fort Worth Zoo = Educational Institution

Post by Deltaboy »

I carried at the Zoo.But the last time I was there was about 6 years ago.
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”