Social Security office

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Songbird
Posts in topic: 2

Social Security office

Post by Songbird »

I thought the Social Security office was off limits to carry into because it is a government building. I'm here now (not carrying) and the security officer just made an announcement that if we had any weapons like taser, knives, or pepper spray to take them back outside. If we have a CHL and are carrying to please come see him and he has a box to secure the firearm until we finish our business. Is it not illegal to carry here then?
CHL Class 1/13/12
Plastic in hand 2/27/12

Keith B

Re: Social Security office

Post by Keith B »

Songbird wrote:I thought the Social Security office was off limits to carry into because it is a government building. I'm here now (not carrying) and the security officer just made an announcement that if we had any weapons like taser, knives, or pepper spray to take them back outside. If we have a CHL and are carrying to please come see him and he has a box to secure the firearm until we finish our business. Is it not illegal to carry here then?
Social Security is federal and off-limits unless given permission by someone in charge. Sounds like they are being nice and allowing you to secure your weapon inside the office.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Vol Texan »

I wish more federal places would do this. It would make all our lives much easier.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jimlongley »

Keith B wrote:
Songbird wrote:I thought the Social Security office was off limits to carry into because it is a government building. I'm here now (not carrying) and the security officer just made an announcement that if we had any weapons like taser, knives, or pepper spray to take them back outside. If we have a CHL and are carrying to please come see him and he has a box to secure the firearm until we finish our business. Is it not illegal to carry here then?
Social Security is federal and off-limits unless given permission by someone in charge. Sounds like they are being nice and allowing you to secure your weapon inside the office.
Last time I went, the one I went to was not posted, and the (very young) "security officer" was a bully - even made me take off my multi-tool even though it clearly fit within the guidelines he had just announced. Told me that if I wanted to dispute it, he would simply arrest me and let someone else figure it out. I had been inside for a relatively long period of time before he suddenly approached me and asked if the think in the pouch was a multi-tool, when I confirmed it was he then stated I must take it outside and go to the end of the line.

Another unanswered letter.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

txcharvel

Post by txcharvel »

It's a trap! A setup! Don't listen to him. This is just another way the feds are trying to identify gun owners :lol::

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

jimlongley wrote:
Keith B wrote:
Last time I went, the one I went to was not posted, and the (very young) "security officer" was a bully - even made me take off my multi-tool even though it clearly fit within the guidelines he had just announced. Told me that if I wanted to dispute it, he would simply arrest me and let someone else figure it out. I had been inside for a relatively long period of time before he suddenly approached me and asked if the think in the pouch was a multi-tool, when I confirmed it was he then stated I must take it outside and go to the end of the line.

Who did you complain to? To complain about a contract guard you would want to contact NPPD.
NPPD.compliance@hq.dhs.gov
Mail: Office of Compliance and Security
National Protection and Programs Directorate
U.S. Department of Homeland Security
5th Floor, Mail Stop 0662
245 Murray Lane, SW
Arlington, VA 20598-0662
You could also try 1-877-437-7411 which is the FPS main number. You might be able to get a FPS officer to respond and they are the real police who supervise the contract security.

ryanj

Post by ryanj »

I'm not trusting my gun to some security guard. I'd rather leave it locked up in my car.

And yes, buildings where federal employees work are always off limits.

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

When dealing with a contract security officer you can also have good luck dealing with the company before the location. I mean sure if they are doing their job they will get some complaints but they are going to try and minimize the one's that get to the client. Heck maybe the poor guy was doing exactly what they told him to do and its all the companies fault.

That being said anyone who has been anywhere in the last 10 years should know better than to take anything that could ever be thought of as a weapon into a fed building. It may be stupid but hardly unexpected.

Topic author
Songbird

Post by Songbird »

Thanks for the input. I was not carrying anyway because I am a teacher and was headed to school next, but I wouldn't have turned it over to him anyway! It would've been locked in the car.
CHL Class 1/13/12
Plastic in hand 2/27/12

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

EEllis wrote:
jimlongley wrote:
Keith B wrote:

Who did you complain to? To complain about a contract guard you would want to contact NPPD.
NPPD.compliance@hq.dhs.gov
Mail: Office of Compliance and Security
National Protection and Programs Directorate
U.S. Department of Homeland Security
5th Floor, Mail Stop 0662
245 Murray Lane, SW
Arlington, VA 20598-0662
You could also try 1-877-437-7411 which is the FPS main number. You might be able to get a FPS officer to respond and they are the real police who supervise the contract security.
Several years ago now, and he would not identify himself or who to write to, simply asking if I was "cruising to get arrested" and such. I wrote to Social Security, and got one phone call basically confirming that I had written the letter and no further communication.

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

EEllis wrote: Heck maybe the poor guy was doing exactly what they told him to do and its all the companies fault.
"Und ve vas chust following orders." Worked so well for the Nazis.

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

jimlongley wrote:
EEllis wrote: Heck maybe the poor guy was doing exactly what they told him to do and its all the companies fault.
Does someone have to jump the shark with the absurd Nazi references every time? I was speaking to the fact that they may have made him require you to take even something as minor as a letherman out to your car and policy could dictate that you lose your place in line. I'm sorry if he hurt your feelings but that does not equate to gassing Jews or other horrific war crimes.

ldj1002

Post by ldj1002 »

In early 2000 I was working in census office. I took out a small pocket knife to open a box. A young supervisor saw the knife and had a hissy fit and told me to put it up. I put in in my pocket and she said no I mean get it out of here, that is a weapon and you could cut someone with it. I replied If I wanted to cut you I would use one of these box cutters lay all over the place, they would be better. She had another fit and told me to get my knife out of the building and now. I ask do you want me to get all the box cutters out now? She just looked at me with mean looking eyes. I simply walked out put my knife in my car and came back and she or I never said a word about knives or box cutters again.

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

Box cutters -- weapon of choice of 911 hijackers everywhere! "rlol"
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

EEllis wrote:
jimlongley wrote:
Does someone have to jump the shark with the absurd Nazi references every time? I was speaking to the fact that they may have made him require you to take even something as minor as a letherman out to your car and policy could dictate that you lose your place in line. I'm sorry if he hurt your feelings but that does not equate to gassing Jews or other horrific war crimes.
The point of the "absurd Nazi reference" was that following illegal or improper orders is an individual choice, not proper company policy. The company should know that their orders are improper, but it is up to the individual to see to it that their actions are legal and reasonable, and if company policy would cause them to perform unreasonable or illegal acts, then they have two simple choices, quit and find a different job, or refuse to follow company policy. Long experience has taught me that those who will enthusiastically enforce improper company policy, and particularly those who will become petty tyrants while misusing or misinterpreting rules and laws are not a very long step away from breaking the windows of Jewish merchants because it was policy, and we know where that led.

No shark jump required, it's the same mind set writ large.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”