What is the non-resident application procedure?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
thetexan
Posts in topic: 2

What is the non-resident application procedure?

Post by thetexan »

I am looking for the procedures for application by a non-resident or someone who has just moved to Texas with intent to reside here.

It says, in part...

GC §411.173. NON-RESIDENT LICENSE. (a) The department by rule shall establish a procedure for a person who meets the eligibility requirements of
this subchapter other than the residency requirement established by Section 411.172(a)(1) to obtain a license under this subchapter if the person is a legal
resident of another state or if the person relocates to this state with the intent to establish residency in this state.

This just requires the department to create the rule but I cant find the rule or procedure itself. Anyone know where it is?

tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

mikeloc

Re: What is the non-resident application procedure?

Post by mikeloc »

thetexan wrote:I am looking for the procedures for application by a non-resident or someone who has just moved to Texas with intent to reside here.

It says, in part...

GC §411.173. NON-RESIDENT LICENSE. (a) The department by rule shall establish a procedure for a person who meets the eligibility requirements of
this subchapter other than the residency requirement established by Section 411.172(a)(1) to obtain a license under this subchapter if the person is a legal
resident of another state or if the person relocates to this state with the intent to establish residency in this state

This just requires the department to create the rule but I cant find the rule or procedure itself. Anyone know where it is?

tex
That is the rule. Anyone who meet the eligibility requirements may apply for a license. Apply the same way anyone who is a resident.

Mike

Topic author
thetexan

Post by thetexan »

mikeloc wrote:
thetexan wrote:I am looking for the procedures for application by a non-resident or someone who has just moved to Texas with intent to reside here.

It says, in part...

resident of another state or if the person relocates to this state with the intent to establish residency in this state

tex
That is the rule. Anyone who meet the eligibility requirements may apply for a license. Apply the same way anyone who is a resident.

Mike
So the only requirement for a non-resident is to relocate to this state with the intent to establish residency...WITH NO TIME LIMIT????? Intent is the only requirement? Then what would be the use for the 6 month rule and to whom would it apply...if it doesnt apply to someone for whom their presence in this state is can be measured in months?

The requirement you have listed in red is the criteria for the procedure that must be established by the department for residents of other states or for people who relocate to this state with intent to reside. 173 essentially requires the promulgation of a rule by and under the authority of 173 to cover said situation.

tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jumping Frog »

The only differences boil down to the driver license used on the application and whether or not there is a $25 change of address fee.

When a person still resides in a different state, that state's driver license number is used for the Texas non-resident CHL application process. Then, after the person moves to Texas and establishes residency, the person needs to get a Texas driver license and submit a change of address for the CHL that includes the change of driver license. This requires the $25 change of address fee, of course.

If one becomes a Texas resident first, then I'd suggest getting the Texas DL first, and then submitting the CHL application with the TX DL number and the new Texas address. This means there is no $25 change fee.

As long as a person has a different non-resident license available to keep carrying in Texas while waiting for the Texas CHL application process, then it is no problem to wait until the person gets here to apply. However, if the person's home state or other non-resident handgun license becomes void when moving to Texas (or is not recognized by Texas), then it makes sense to get the Texas non-resident before moving here so there is no "gap in coverage".
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Unicorn Rancher
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Unicorn Rancher »

thetexan wrote:So the only requirement for a non-resident is to relocate to this state with the intent to establish residency...WITH NO TIME LIMIT?????
I think you missed the "or" in the requirement. A resident of another state may apply. Someone moving to Texas may apply if they intend to establish residency.

The six month waiting period dates from when Texas only issued resident licenses. It is now vestigial and I doubt it applies to anyone, except perhaps non-immigrant aliens. I wouldn't even bet on that.

The bottom line is nonresidents apply essentially the same way as residents. I believe they must provide a copy of their DL/ID because Texas doesn't have their DL/ID in the DPS database. They also have to provide a photograph for the same reason.

mikeloc

Post by mikeloc »

:iagree:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”