Armed Faculty

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Armed Faculty

Post by nightmare69 »

Hola Gato wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:The only chance school staff has of carrying is to work for a small ISD who cannot afford to hire armed guards or police. The bigger schools who can afford to will hire police who have power of arrest everytime. Ive been working in the school system for nearly 10yrs and Im also a commissioned LEO. Im going to be most likely getting back into the school system(maintenance)very soon.
Do you need permission to carry when you're working at the school for the new job?
No. If the school told me don't carry and I did and got caught I guess they could fire me but there is nothing legally they could do to stop me. I doubt a school would object to a officer carrying consealed these days. Never hurts to have an extra gun on campus.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MeMelYup »

LDB415 wrote:
Dreamer42 wrote:What if I am a teacher (and I am) who already has his CHL and I take the psych eval, and for whatever reason, don't pass it for carrying at school? Will that flag me because I might "do something"? Might I loose my job or my permit because of the test results? When I go to a gun show and purchase a firearm, will that eval follow me, and might I be denied the gun purchase? Caution must be exercised here, because if there is no due process our rights are at risk when no crime has yet to be committed. Seems like a slippery slope. I'd rather see a standard background check plus additional training
That's not an outrageous thought. That's why there should be a second level of CHL with additional training and practice and tighter shooting requirements. Anyone with a CHL should be eligible to upgrade their CHL. If the do so successfully then they are authorized to carry anywhere on any school campus and perhaps other currently forbidden places as well. No further tests or checks or anything else. The check to pass to get the CHL in the first place is it. You qualify for a CHL+ and that's it.

Some of the faculty/staff may upgrade. Some of the parents may upgrade. Bad guys would have to wonder not just about a handful of faculty/staff but also about any and all parents who randomly show up at campus for various reasons. It adds even more layers of protection.
I disagree. There should be no requirement for a firearms license. The 2nd Amendment reiterates the inalienable right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms. It is not something that can be taxed or licensed. To tax or license an inalienable right is to infringe.

LDB415
Posts in topic: 3

Post by LDB415 »

Yes, in an ideal world, aka a world abiding by the Constitution, that would be the case. We aren't in that world. We are in a world that mandates a CHL in Texas. My point is not a debate over that. My point is that anyone willing should be able to become a school guardian/protector, not just certain faculty/staff. Anyone with a current CHL should have the option to upgrade to a higher level CHL that opens up schools and other areas currently off limits to CHL holders.

For that matter, there should be a training/proficiency level that overrides and allows carry on aircraft. If terrorists had to wonder not only about a few hundred Air Marshalls but also about many thousands of approved citizens being aboard, ready and equipped to blow their brains out, would they perhaps think longer before a 9/11 attack? We have a major resource available to deter/combat crime and terrorism if we would only use it.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

TexasGal
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TexasGal »

20140903_001140_resized_2.jpg
Just saw on the news that Argyle ISD (north of Denton) is starting their first full school year with armed staff. They have a nice sign to alert would-be attackers of the fact. I like it!
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

Topic author
NOMW
Posts in topic: 3

Post by NOMW »

TexasGal wrote:
20140903_001140_resized_2.jpg
Just saw on the news that Argyle ISD (north of Denton) is starting their first full school year with armed staff. They have a nice sign to alert would-be attackers of the fact. I like it!
Yes, the sign is all part of the campaign and a warning. I have been working with Argyle and a few others here in N. TX to implement my program, "Not on My Watch" school safety plan to keep our institutions secure.
Every good and excellent thing stands moment by moment on the razor's edge of danger and must be fought for.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”