Armed Faculty

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

mojo84
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Armed Faculty

Post by mojo84 »

I'm hoping Boerne ISD will follow suit.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

tacticool
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tacticool »

troglodyte wrote:I would like to see schools as a CHL allowed area.
:iagree:
It would be fantastic for the Texas legislature to side with the good guys and remove the restriction, rather than helping bad guys by continuing to offer up soft targets, but that may be literally fantastic with this current crop in Austin.
When in doubt
Vote them out!

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

Read this in the local paper today:

Bonham ISD announced that a selected number of their staff have gone through training in the "Defender Program". With documented proof of chl, pyschologist eval, semi-auto from 22lr to 45 (no revolvers), "defensive" ammo, and written authorization of the Superintendent the selected may carry on campus. They WILL NOT carry to school events not on Bonham ISD property.

They too have warning signs stating:

"The Bonham ISD Board of Trustees has authorized employees on this campus to carry concealed handguns to better protect our students and staff".

This is a step in the right direction. Hope it works it's way south to our little town so my grand daughter is a little better protected in her school.
N5PNZ

tyree

Post by tyree »

2farnorth wrote:"The Bonham ISD Board of Trustees has authorized employees on this campus to carry concealed handguns to better protect our students and staff".
Awesome!

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 4

Post by nightmare69 »

Here is the sign a small local ISD posted after they armed certain staff...

2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

RetNavy

Post by RetNavy »

tacticool wrote:
troglodyte wrote:I would like to see schools as a CHL allowed area.
:iagree:
It would be fantastic for the Texas legislature to side with the good guys and remove the restriction, rather than helping bad guys by continuing to offer up soft targets, but that may be literally fantastic with this current crop in Austin.

even if the state passes legislation allowing CHL'rs to carry on school premises, i would wager that the federal govt will find a way to bully schools into denying it, and penalizing those campuses already arming staff, such as withholding federal funds for the state and schools,
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

tomdavis

Post by tomdavis »

Something should be done to allow the teachers and school "marshals" to supplement those whose only defence of themselves and the kids is to throw an eraser.
...for as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom – for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself. Arbroath, 4/6/1320.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

tomdavis wrote:Something should be done to allow the teachers and school "marshals" to supplement those whose only defence of themselves and the kids is to throw an eraser.

They have staplers also.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

AlgoaAggie91

Post by AlgoaAggie91 »

mojo84 wrote:They have staplers also.
The best ones have .40 hole punchers. :fire
S&W M&P Shield 9

Does anyone know of a trick to help me remember the word 'mnemonic'?

llucas

Post by llucas »

NOMW wrote:I had the opportunity on Fox and Friends this morning to raise awareness and educate folks on my program for keeping our schools safe.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shield 91
Thanks for campaigning for this change. Hopefully your influence and program will grow to many more school districts. :hurry: :hurry: :txflag:
4/23/14 -- applied online; 4/29/14 -- electronic fingerprints.
5/7/14 -- docs uploaded on chl site; 5/13/14 -- docs mailed.
9/5/14 -- plastic arrived in the mailbox

Dreamer42

Post by Dreamer42 »

What if I am a teacher (and I am) who already has his CHL and I take the psych eval, and for whatever reason, don't pass it for carrying at school? Will that flag me because I might "do something"? Might I loose my job or my permit because of the test results? When I go to a gun show and purchase a firearm, will that eval follow me, and might I be denied the gun purchase? Caution must be exercised here, because if there is no due process our rights are at risk when no crime has yet to be committed. Seems like a slippery slope. I'd rather see a standard background check plus additional training

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Dreamer42 wrote:What if I am a teacher (and I am) who already has his CHL and I take the psych eval, and for whatever reason, don't pass it for carrying at school? Will that flag me because I might "do something"? Might I loose my job or my permit because of the test results? When I go to a gun show and purchase a firearm, will that eval follow me, and might I be denied the gun purchase? Caution must be exercised here, because if there is no due process our rights are at risk when no crime has yet to be committed. Seems like a slippery slope. I'd rather see a standard background check plus additional training
:tiphat: Excellent thought here & especially if that psych is an AntiGuner w/ his own agenda.
The thought that a teacher "should be able to pass" is not the issue. "Shall not be infringed" is the issue.
Good for the students & teachers in all these districts including the one I live in even though I have no children or GrandOnes in school here.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

LDB415
Posts in topic: 3

Post by LDB415 »

Dreamer42 wrote:What if I am a teacher (and I am) who already has his CHL and I take the psych eval, and for whatever reason, don't pass it for carrying at school? Will that flag me because I might "do something"? Might I loose my job or my permit because of the test results? When I go to a gun show and purchase a firearm, will that eval follow me, and might I be denied the gun purchase? Caution must be exercised here, because if there is no due process our rights are at risk when no crime has yet to be committed. Seems like a slippery slope. I'd rather see a standard background check plus additional training
That's not an outrageous thought. That's why there should be a second level of CHL with additional training and practice and tighter shooting requirements. Anyone with a CHL should be eligible to upgrade their CHL. If the do so successfully then they are authorized to carry anywhere on any school campus and perhaps other currently forbidden places as well. No further tests or checks or anything else. The check to pass to get the CHL in the first place is it. You qualify for a CHL+ and that's it.

Some of the faculty/staff may upgrade. Some of the parents may upgrade. Bad guys would have to wonder not just about a handful of faculty/staff but also about any and all parents who randomly show up at campus for various reasons. It adds even more layers of protection.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 4

Post by nightmare69 »

The only chance school staff has of carrying is to work for a small ISD who cannot afford to hire armed guards or police. The bigger schools who can afford to will hire police who have power of arrest everytime. Ive been working in the school system for nearly 10yrs and Im also a commissioned LEO. Im going to be most likely getting back into the school system(maintenance)very soon.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Hola Gato

Post by Hola Gato »

nightmare69 wrote:The only chance school staff has of carrying is to work for a small ISD who cannot afford to hire armed guards or police. The bigger schools who can afford to will hire police who have power of arrest everytime. Ive been working in the school system for nearly 10yrs and Im also a commissioned LEO. Im going to be most likely getting back into the school system(maintenance)very soon.
Do you need permission to carry when you're working at the school for the new job?
I didn't vote for Obama.
Somebody else did that.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”