Suppressor for shooting qualification?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
packinmama
Posts in topic: 1

Suppressor for shooting qualification?

Post by packinmama »

Ok, I am trying to reach my contacts at DPS to get an official answer, but haven't heard anything back yet and I am hoping someone here might know. I have a pregnant lady that just took the CHL classroom portion of the class and was going to have to wait until after she delivers her baby to do the shooting qualification (about 4 months away), because our range doesn't allow pregnant ladies to shoot due to any possible detriment to the fetus from the sound on an indoor range and any possible lead exposure. HOWEVER, she is very scared and says the baby's father is a danger to her and the baby and she is very anxious about having to wait until after she delivers to be able to get the process going to get her CHL and be able to carry a gun to protect them. The range owner is fine with it if she comes in before business hours, when no other shooters are there and she uses a suppressor on her gun for the qualification, but I want to make sure the DPS isn't going to have a problem with that. (And yes, they do have excellent ventilation and offered to add a fan behind her if she prefers.)

The only thing I could see that was prohibited by the DPS is any kind of optic devices or lasers on guns for the qualification. Would anyone here know if there would be any problem with a suppressor?

Keith B

Re: Suppressor for shooting qualification?

Post by Keith B »

I don't believe a suppresor would violate the DPS guidelines. However, it's not just sound, but she should not be exposed to the lead and smoke from the gunpowder during the time she is pregnant.
http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/lead/tips/pregnant.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ct.gov/dph/lib/dph/environme ... e_f.s..pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

bauerdj

Post by bauerdj »

I believe the smoke and lead would pose more of a hazard then the noise if she can fire when there are no other shyooters on the range. A industrial hazmat respirator would probably do much to solve that problem and should not be of interest to DPS

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Where is your friend located? If it's in the Houston/Friendswood area, have her contact me and I'll do the range portion of the class.

Chas.

ShootDontTalk

Post by ShootDontTalk »

THIS CAN IN NO WAY BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. My wife read this after I asked her what she thought. She is a retired ER RN Supervisor with 27 years experience in the ER.

1) you will never get a doctor or any medical person to officially sign off on the harmlessness of either the sound or lead because of liability concerns.

2) she never encountered a single case of noise ever being a problem for a pregnant mother, regardless of term, in 27 years.

3) she pointed out that in wartime pregnant women have for many years been present during strategic bombing and prolonged firefights with no ill effects from sound ever reported (to her knowledge). Numerous women regularly listen to music at levels sometimes exceeding that of gunshots for hours with no ill effects to the fetus.

4) lead "could be a problem" but even a simple surgical mask will suffice, an industrial respirator is better, for protection. She should wear long sleeved clothing and remove it afterwards and wash it immediately. And of course she must wash her hands.

I found this from the Coast Guard which might be of interest to all of us who are around pregnant women:

"Brief exposure (5 minutes per hour or less) to ambient noise above 84 dBA in order to transit high noise areas may be safe. Pregnant women should limit their exposure to ambient noise above 84dBA to less than 5 minutes per hour when transiting high noise areas. Prolonged exposure to this level of noise is not recommended. Pregnant women should avoid exposure to ambient noise greater than 104dBA (corresponding to the need for double hearing protection), and shall not be assigned to regular duties requiring double hearing protection."
http://www.uscg.mil/directives/ci/1000- ... 1000_9.pdf

Edit: a gas lawn mower at 3 feet is roughly 100DBA.

Charles...thanks for your kind offer to help her.
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!
Eli Wallach on concealed carry while taking a bubble bath

Salty1

Post by Salty1 »

You should fill her in on the Motorist Protection Act, that would cover her until she has her CHL in hand. If she needs to wait for the shooting portion at least she can be armed most of the time when she would be most vulnerable.
Salty1

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”