moving back to TX

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
dartsinsa
Posts in topic: 3

moving back to TX

Post by dartsinsa »

I just returned to TX after a long hiatus. I have never held a TX CHL license, but have a license in another state with reciprocity. I have had the license for many years, and now feel somewhat "undressed" without carrying. The problem is, once I get my TX DL, which I need first to apply for my CHL, is my old state license no longer valid?
In other words, while waiting for the process to flow through to completion, am I legal to carry using my state license from another state?
I have not been able to get any clear answer as yet.

JP171
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: moving back to TX

Post by JP171 »

as long as Texas has reciprocity with that state or recognizes that license and that state allows out of state to hold their license yes if either of the afore is a no then no

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jumping Frog »

Welcome back to Texas and welcome to these forums!

Depends on the state: we need to know what state licensed you.

Some state's licenses continue to remain valid when a resident moves out of the state.

Some state's licenses are valid for a specific time period, such as 30 days, when a resident moves out of the state.

Some state's licenses are invalidated when a resident moves out of the state.

For using it in Texas under reciprocity, it all depends on whether the other state's license is still valid. Thus the answer depends upon the other state.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
dartsinsa

Post by dartsinsa »

Michigan.
The laws there are pretty similar, including the requirements for license.
Two big differences. There is open carry, and they register handguns.
Actually surprised me a bit, but MI is a huge hunting and fishing state.

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jumping Frog »

The Michigan statutes are silent on whether your license remains valid when you move out of state. The statute does allow for the license to remain valid when a Michigan resident moves from one county to another, but it does not address moving out of state.

Usually, a gun rights advocacy forum specific to the state is the best source of information on firearms laws for their own state. I'd suggest you post the question at Michigan Gun Owners forum.

Ask them if your Michigan license remains valid until expired when you move out of state. Ask about the Michigan revocation process.

Good luck! :thumbs2:
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
dartsinsa

Post by dartsinsa »

I have been a member of MGO for a few years, and it is generally a good forum (although the for sale section is usually good for some laughs, there are some reasonable folks on there).
Like most CHL holders, following the laws is paramount to me. I have carried for years, and done all the holster, printing, mental adjustments things that generally happen when starting to carry.
I have never been stopped or questioned, but would not want to be in a situation where the laws were subject to individual interpretation.
I will continue to research, but if I have to wait while going through the process I will do so, and just move my awareness level up a condition (which I have to do when working anyway, as carry is not an option where I work). It looks like Texas has sped up the process some in recent years, so it should not be so bad. I have to research and find a good class to take in the area (Katy).
The good news is this time my wife wants to go through the classes with me. Coming back home is such a big happy event that any inconveniences are far outweighed by all the good things.
My biggest sorrow is leaving the private club where I was a member. It was outstanding to spend a day where I was generally either all alone or with a friend shooting outdoors. No worries about safety or rules against double taps, etc. I now have to find somewhere to shoot here, as I just plain enjoy it beyond any reason to keep in practice.
Thanks for the welcome, and man I am glad to be back home.

longtooth
Posts in topic: 1

Post by longtooth »

dartsinsa wrote:I have been a member of MGO for a few years, and it is generally a good forum (although the for sale section is usually good for some laughs, there are some reasonable folks on there).
Like most CHL holders, following the laws is paramount to me. I have carried for years, and done all the holster, printing, mental adjustments things that generally happen when starting to carry.
I have never been stopped or questioned, but would not want to be in a situation where the laws were subject to individual interpretation.
I will continue to research, but if I have to wait while going through the process I will do so, and just move my awareness level up a condition (which I have to do when working anyway, as carry is not an option where I work). It looks like Texas has sped up the process some in recent years, so it should not be so bad. I have to research and find a good class to take in the area (Katy).
The good news is this time my wife wants to go through the classes with me. Coming back home is such a big happy event that any inconveniences are far outweighed by all the good things.
My biggest sorrow is leaving the private club where I was a member. It was outstanding to spend a day where I was generally either all alone or with a friend shooting outdoors. No worries about safety or rules against double taps, etc. I now have to find somewhere to shoot here, as I just plain enjoy it beyond any reason to keep in practice.
Thanks for the welcome, and man I am glad to be back home.
Where are you located?? If close I would like to have you & wife in one of my classes.
If you do not want location on the public board feel free to PM me.
Welcome back to Texas.
LT
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”