CHL expires today

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
baldeagle
Posts in topic: 5

CHL expires today

Post by baldeagle »

I applied for renewal a while back but have not yet received it. The state website is devoid of any useful information regarding the status of my renewal.

Am I required to stop carrying until I have the new CHL in hand? Or am I ok to carry since I have applied for renewal?
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

n5wd
Posts in topic: 1

Re: CHL expires today

Post by n5wd »

baldeagle wrote:I applied for renewal a while back but have not yet received it. The state website is devoid of any useful information regarding the status of my renewal.

Am I required to stop carrying until I have the new CHL in hand? Or am I ok to carry since I have applied for renewal?

It's my understanding of the law that you have to have, in your possession, a valid CHL before you can legally carry a handgun concealed. Until the license arrives in your mailbox, you're stuck with the privileges everyday Texans have -- MPA and carry on your own / your controlled property plus to/from a sporting activity.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

jamminbutter

Post by jamminbutter »

Per DPS website FAQs #32

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/CHL/faqs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

32. My Concealed Handgun License (CHL) has expired, and my renewal application is in process. Can I carry a concealed handgun while I am waiting to receive my new license?
No. There is no grace period or extension for an expired CHL, even if your renewal application has been submitted. You must wait until you receive the CHL before you are allowed to carry a concealed handgun.

Topic author
baldeagle
Posts in topic: 5

Post by baldeagle »

Thanks. Should have looked that up myself.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jumping Frog »

baldeagle wrote:Thanks. Should have looked that up myself.
That is one reason I maintain a Utah non-resident license (renewals are $15/5 yrs) and a Pennsylvania non-resident license ($20/5 yrs) with staggered renewal dates.

If my TX license expires or is lost, then I still have carry options.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

baldeagle wrote:I applied for renewal a while back but have not yet received it. The state website is devoid of any useful information regarding the status of my renewal.

Log in to the website like you're trying to check on the status. If you see a link to change your address, your license is on it's way to you.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Jumping Frog wrote:
baldeagle wrote:Thanks. Should have looked that up myself.
That is one reason I maintain a Utah non-resident license (renewals are $15/5 yrs) and a Pennsylvania non-resident license ($20/5 yrs) with staggered renewal dates.

If my TX license expires or is lost, then I still have carry options.
:iagree:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

Awesome idea to stagger two Licenses! I will apply for a Utah License immediately thanks to this post!!
III

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jumping Frog »

rbwhatever1 wrote:Awesome idea to stagger two Licenses! I will apply for a Utah License immediately thanks to this post!!
I took the 4 hour Utah training class to get the Utah license.

Some choices for non-resident licenses that are valid in Texas include:
  • Arizona ($60 new, $43 renewal, accepts TX license as proof of training)
  • Virginia ($100, may accept TX training or require a one hour online training course)
  • Pennsylvania (generally $20, but requires visiting the PA county sheriff in person and must have Texas CHL)
  • Utah ($51 new, $15 renewal, requires Utah training from Utah certified instructor, typically $100 for training, and must have Texas CHL)
  • Florida ($112 new, $102 renewal, accepts TX CHL training.)
Personally, I think getting an AZ non-resident license is the easiest choice. Even though Utah renewals are the cheapest, it takes 25 years to have the cheaper renewal cost offset the up front training cost. :tiphat:
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

RetNavy
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RetNavy »

:smilelol5:
Jumping Frog wrote:
rbwhatever1 wrote:Awesome idea to stagger two Licenses! I will apply for a Utah License immediately thanks to this post!!
I took the 4 hour Utah training class to get the Utah license.

Some choices for non-resident licenses that are valid in Texas include:
  • Arizona ($60 new, $43 renewal, accepts TX license as proof of training)
  • Virginia ($100, may accept TX training or require a one hour online training course)
  • Pennsylvania (generally $20, but requires visiting the PA county sheriff in person and must have Texas CHL)
  • Utah ($51 new, $15 renewal, requires Utah training from Utah certified instructor, typically $100 for training, and must have Texas CHL)
  • Florida ($112 new, $102 renewal, accepts TX CHL training.)
Personally, I think getting an AZ non-resident license is the easiest choice. Even though Utah renewals are the cheapest, it takes 25 years to have the cheaper renewal cost offset the up front training cost. :tiphat:
Went to sheriff office today to do fingerprints for the Arizona Licence. Filled all the required spaces on the cards before leaving. Had to do new ones over there since they print out the cards and all the info I filled in would have been typed over.. So before getting prints done check to see if they do the ink prints or the electronic ones
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

FYI... AZ non-res is valid for 5 years = $60/5 = $12/year (New) or $43/5=$8.60/year (renewal).
FL non-res is valid for 7 years = $112/7=$16/yr (new) or $102/7=$14.5/yr (renewal).

The FL fees are higher per year, but it looks worse than it is until you consider that you get an extra 2 years between renewals with a FL license.
I'm still on the fence about which way to go (FL or AZ) when my FL permit expires again.... Mom lives in FL and I rarely visit AZ. TBD.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

tacticool

Post by tacticool »

Jumping Frog wrote:Personally, I think getting an AZ non-resident license is the easiest choice. Even though Utah renewals are the cheapest, it takes 25 years to have the cheaper renewal cost offset the up front training cost. :tiphat:
Utah also has the hidden cost of maintaining a Texas CHL but Arizona has no such prerequisite to issue or renew.
When in doubt
Vote them out!

rentz

Post by rentz »

that arizona permit is a pretty nice deal, based on their site all you have to do is go to your local police dept get fingerprinted and mail in the forms with a check and wait for the license.
not a bad deal for a backup

RetNavy
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RetNavy »

rentz wrote:that arizona permit is a pretty nice deal, based on their site all you have to do is go to your local police dept get fingerprinted and mail in the forms with a check and wait for the license.
not a bad deal for a backup

When I did mine the fingerprinting was in the secure part of the jail... Was asked by the detention deputy what they were for and told him that it was for an Arizona permit... Mentioned it was a back up for my Texas CHL and they didn't even asked if I had a weapon on me.... ( left in truck )
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

I had Pennsylvania as backup. Unable to renew recently due to change of having to be done in person.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”