What about non school sporting events

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
billybryce
Posts in topic: 2

What about non school sporting events

Post by billybryce »

3 of my children play in a private sporting league. It is not school sponsored. We pay a monthly fee for their participation. We travel to different fields weekly usually in parks. Are these considered non carry places?

jmra

Re: What about non school sporting events

Post by jmra »

No. Carry on.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Asked and answered. IBTL

Lock'er up! :biggrinjester:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
billybryce

Post by billybryce »

Awesome thanks folks.

jmra

Post by jmra »

You're welcome, and welcome to the forum.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

OnceFired

Post by OnceFired »

Hmmm. Let me try to complicate this...

My kids are home schooled. We are part of a league created for home schooled kids. There is no single entity / school - phyical or otherwise. Am I clear to carry at those events as long as they are not at an actual school location itself?

OF
Video games are an escape from reality. Gun ownership is for when you can't.
CHL - 07/03/12 submitted, 09/07/12 received
Texas Security Guard Jobs

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

OnceFired wrote:Hmmm. Let me try to complicate this...

My kids are home schooled. We are part of a league created for home schooled kids. There is no single entity / school - phyical or otherwise. Am I clear to carry at those events as long as they are not at an actual school location itself?

OF
Interesting....

if the league is organized by the parents, I'd say no problem to carry, including on a "school" field (assuming no other school activities are taking place).
If the league is organized by the schools (the schools pay for insurance, for example), then no matter where you play it would be a "school sponsored" activity. No carry.

My OPINION. Not legal advice.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Lisa
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Lisa »

If you're one of the "schools" then you can give yourself written authorization to carry at school events.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Lisa wrote:If you're one of the "schools" then you can give yourself written authorization to carry at school events.
True, but I'm not sure it would be required. Do home schools meet the state's definition of a school to even fall under these statutes?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

I don't think home schooling or self-study adult education would qualify as a school in this context, but it sounds like cheap insurance with no real downside to make your carry "pursuant to written regulations or written authorization" just in case.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

OnceFired

Post by OnceFired »

Let me elaborate a bit.

My family functions as our own school. My wife taught public school in CA for 10+ years. My kids have been home schooled for many years in several states. They have a curriculum, and follow it. That said, we have not formed a legal entity such as a charter school.

The sporting events we participate in are typically held at other schools. Mind you, the vast majority are not held during school hours, and typically are on the weekends when no other events are occurring on the school grounds. Some events are held at public parks, and others at private facilities / businesses.

I wouldn't even consider carrying at a public school even after hours, when school is not in session, during the summer, etc etc. I park off grounds and walk in, too. There is definitely too much at stake there given the clarity of the law regarding school premises.

However, all the secondary sites seem to be fair game for CHL from a legal perspective. I do not understand the law enough particularly on this one aspect - does it mean educational program sporting events AT a school, or those BY a school or educational organization?

The league we are in expressly caters to "students" of course, but it is also delineated as a faith-based organization of home-school families. We compete with other similar programs, which are predominantly faith-based non-public schools.

OF
Video games are an escape from reality. Gun ownership is for when you can't.
CHL - 07/03/12 submitted, 09/07/12 received
Texas Security Guard Jobs

Dadtodabone

Post by Dadtodabone »

OnceFired wrote:Let me elaborate a bit.

My family functions as our own school. My wife taught public school in CA for 10+ years. My kids have been home schooled for many years in several states. They have a curriculum, and follow it. That said, we have not formed a legal entity such as a charter school.

The sporting events we participate in are typically held at other schools. Mind you, the vast majority are not held during school hours, and typically are on the weekends when no other events are occurring on the school grounds. Some events are held at public parks, and others at private facilities / businesses.

I wouldn't even consider carrying at a public school even after hours, when school is not in session, during the summer, etc etc. I park off grounds and walk in, too. There is definitely too much at stake there given the clarity of the law regarding school premises.

However, all the secondary sites seem to be fair game for CHL from a legal perspective. I do not understand the law enough particularly on this one aspect - does it mean educational program sporting events AT a school, or those BY a school or educational organization?

The league we are in expressly caters to "students" of course, but it is also delineated as a faith-based organization of home-school families. We compete with other similar programs, which are predominantly faith-based non-public schools.

OF
Home School athletic organizations are not schools, they are private athletic clubs. You should have no problem legally carrying at their functions that don't take place on public school premises.
IANAL.
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

My family often spends time at the local elementary school on weekends. Flying kites, playing on the swings (when they were little), even riding dirt bikes.

I have never worried, not for a second, about carrying on school property when school is not in session. 46.035 is very clear. If I "take a ride" for that some day, I'm OK with that.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”