CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
winters
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

basspro pearland

Post by winters »

Maybe I haven't had my chl long enough or bought enough class 3 weapons recently. Since when did it become law that you are required to undergo a background check when buying a firearm with a texas chl?I had this salesmen at bass pro trying to convince me of this. And then you ask his coworker and he says what I originally though.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: basspro pearland

Post by Keith B »

It is not legally required to do a NICS check if you have a Texas CHL, all they have to do is write the CHL number on the 4473 form. However, an individual store may choose to run one anyway. There is no law that says they can't.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
winters
Banned

Post by winters »

That's what I thought, apparently I was wrong for questioning the supreme authority of a salesmen at bass pro.

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

More details, please? There could be a store policy of "run it anyway".
The only thing that you could argue (in my head) is the legal requirement to run it with CHL.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Look into what Marburgers in Seabrook has in their inventory.

If they don't have what you want, they'll order it and it'll come in pronto.

They're good folks to do business with and their prices are often better than Academy.

I've bought a number of guns from them, both rifle and pistol and my CHL was accepted without question.

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

I've bought 2 pistols from Carter's Country in Pasadena since getting my chl. The first time, they called in to dps to make sure it was valid. The 2nd time, they just wrote my chl number on the form & got on with the transaction. Based on the two experiences, the dps call only added a minute or two to the whole process.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

Topic author
winters
Banned

Post by winters »

Yes I was in marburgers a few months ago and they were very easy to deal with. If you want a zies scope they seem to be the place to go.

The bass pro thing was one of those I opened my mouth instead of walking away when I heard it. This lady was buying a glock (overpriced by about 150 dollars) and she was asking why they had to call into nics with her chl. The salesman made some comment that a chl doesn't get you out of a background check. At which I told the lady he was wrong and the salesman proceeded to tell me he has been selling guns for 20 years and knows more then I did about the process. When it was finally my turn I asked my salesman and he told me they don't call in anything if you have a chl. So I suggested they might want to cross train so they don't drive customers away. The guy who helped me was very knowledgeable about f class shooting which is something im interested in.

Its interesting as someone who has bought about 20 guns and 3 silencers, That I know nothing of the process. Usually people who own or sell class 3 items are more familiar with the laws and processes for buying a gun then anyone else.

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

Although I have never bought any guns from Bass Pro, they are all overpriced IMO, I have been at the gun counter when others were with their CHLs. Both the Grapevine and Garland stores have always accepted the CHL that I have witnessed. I think your experience was a fluke encounter with a "know it all".
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

Thomas Hagemeier

Post by Thomas Hagemeier »

Though I chalk it up to an uninformed salesman, arguing with them is pretty futile. I would recommend having a talk with the manager of the store. Tho it wouldn't bother me, I would feel as though I was doing the establishment a favor as it may cost them future business with less patient patrons.

Thanks for the heads up warning as I do business with the Pasadena store occasionally.
Believer in God, happily married,
Love dogs, patriot, Lifetime NRA,
And Keyboard Rambo

Topic author
winters
Banned

Post by winters »

i wish we had a cabalas in houston. I visit the one near baton rouge once a month and their gun section is friggen huge. And their prices are pretty good.

I shopped at carters a few times and haven't in about 9 years after they made a big deal about me trying to haggle on a gun price.They told me if i wanted to haggle goto the gun show. Thanks I always buys guns at the gun show now. :lol:

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Xikar wrote:Though I chalk it up to an uninformed salesman, arguing with them is pretty futile. I would recommend having a talk with the manager of the store....
I've always viewed it as I'd rather talk to the organ grinder instead of the monkey.

The point at which the insult happens ("... the salesman proceeded to tell me he has been selling guns for 20 years and knows more then I did about the process."), I am asking for the manager. His disparaging tone needs to be addressed.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

RKirkwood

Post by RKirkwood »

I go there and look. I try not to speak with the folks behind the counter based on the attitude I get from them. I only bought 1 gun there and wouldn't buy another there.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”