Daycare

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Special_k300
Posts in topic: 1

Daycare

Post by Special_k300 »

I guess this would be a law question. My mother inlaw runs a daycare and I know that an offlimits place for guns are home day cares. I looked up the laws for home daycare and it said that all firearms had to be locked up unloaded. But i could not find anything regarding chl? There are no signs that are posted. However, becuase my wife graduated in the top of her class in business my mom inlaw had her look over the contract with parents and I saw that it said " this is a violent free daycare therefore no weapons allowed." (As if guns cause violence) I am not under contract with her becuase our daughter is watched by my wife still but I am concerned about carrying there. I am of the understanding that as a chl holder that the only two signs that can prohibit you are a properly marked 30.06 sign or a 51% sign. Can I legally carry there dispute knowing it is a home day career would I have to argue that I was following the letter of the law rather than the intent of the law if caught?

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Daycare

Post by Vol Texan »

Special_k300 wrote:I guess this would be a law question. My mother inlaw runs a daycare and I know that an offlimits place for guns are home day cares. I looked up the laws for home daycare and it said that all firearms had to be locked up unloaded. But i could not find anything regarding chl? There are no signs that are posted. However, becuase my wife graduated in the top of her class in business my mom inlaw had her look over the contract with parents and I saw that it said " this is a violent free daycare therefore no weapons allowed." (As if guns cause violence) I am not under contract with her becuase our daughter is watched by my wife still but I am concerned about carrying there. I am of the understanding that as a chl holder that the only two signs that can prohibit you are a properly marked 30.06 sign or a 51% sign. Can I legally carry there dispute knowing it is a home day career would I have to argue that I was following the letter of the law rather than the intent of the law if caught?
Welcome to the forum.

If the daycare is an accredited educational institution (like a Montessori school that continues all the way through 6th grade, as one example), then you cannot carry. But a daycare is not off limits unless you are given proper notice, either orally, or with properly posted 30.06 language.

See here for more information: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=58865&hilit=+montessori#p722515

Or here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=62745&hilit=montessori&start=15#p770129
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”