Ok -- Here's a "hypothetical situation" for you...

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
sominus
Posts in topic: 7

Ok -- Here's a "hypothetical situation" for you...

Post by sominus »

So let's pretend that my ex-wife was sentenced to 15 years in the Texas pokey for a murder-for-hire plot. Remember, we're just pretending here.

Let's also pretend that, while in prison, she tried to get someone to find someone to take ME out. Again, this is "hypothetical". (wink wink)

Since we're pretending so much, let's stretch it out a little further and say that she was paroled to Austin about a month ago and put on an ankle monitor.

And let's say that she went missing for a while last week.....

If said ex-wife, who has a restraining order against her for "no contact under any circumstances in any manner" were to show up on your doorstep in Houston, what would YOU do? Remember, there is a credible threat by a convicted felon against your life here...

And, hypothetically, this isn't a hypothetical situation. The only "hypothetical" part to it is that she didn't actually get to Houston -- she was apprehended in Austin.

-M

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Ok -- Here's a "hypothetical situation" for you...

Post by Vol Texan »

Welcome to the forum, and this is an interesting first post after your intro post yesterday.

In this hypothetical situation where I'd not yet received my CHL, but was at home, I'd remember that I have the right to carry on my own property, and I'd do so, if only to practice so that when I get my plastic, I'd be more comfortable with carrying.

Also, I'd remember that there are plenty of inexpensive home monitoring options. I could have something as complex as a camera linked to my alarm system (which I already hypothetically have in my home - several of them), or it could be as simple as a GoPro camera or a nanny cam in a teddy bear. If she were to come to my door, she'd already be on video, thereby violating her order. I'd phone the police, and then do everything I can to de-escalate until they get here.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

TVGuy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TVGuy »

sominus wrote:So let's pretend that my ex-wife was sentenced to 15 years in the Texas pokey for a murder-for-hire plot. Remember, we're just pretending here.

Let's also pretend that, while in prison, she tried to get someone to find someone to take ME out. Again, this is "hypothetical". (wink wink)

Since we're pretending so much, let's stretch it out a little further and say that she was paroled to Austin about a month ago and put on an ankle monitor.

And let's say that she went missing for a while last week.....

If said ex-wife, who has a restraining order against her for "no contact under any circumstances in any manner" were to show up on your doorstep in Houston, what would YOU do? Remember, there is a credible threat by a convicted felon against your life here...

And, hypothetically, this isn't a hypothetical situation. The only "hypothetical" part to it is that she didn't actually get to Houston -- she was apprehended in Austin.

-M
I thought my ex-wife was bad, she just got caught shoplifting at target. (hypothetically)

bigity

Post by bigity »

In the words of a man far smarter than I about possibilities - 'Great Scott!'
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I'm also curious about how one would become aware of such a plot or conspiracy.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
sominus

Post by sominus »

Personally, I didn't want to go home without a weapon, not realizing at the time that she has been apprehended. I fully expected to find "someone" parked near my house (fortunately the next door neighbor is a state trooper). My wife and I contemplated grabbing the kids from school and going to a hotel -- that's how seriously we take the threat this woman represents. This scare is why I took my CHL course this past weekend, and why I actually bought a weapon on the way home from work. While I've wanted 1) my CHL and 2) the weapon I bought for a while, this event accelerated both a bit.

My lizard-brain says "shoot on sight if she is on my property". She has NO business being there -- her rights were terminated with regards to the child we had together. The threat she represents is real, BUT: Words and mere trespass do not constitute that type of response. While they could imprison her for that, its a "sticks and stones" situation until it escalates.

What is the legal ground/basis here?

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Hypotetically, I would not open the door, call the hypotetical police, and let them hypotehtically arrest her.

Per the penal code, verbal threats are not jsutification for use of force OR deadly force.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
sominus

Post by sominus »

C-dub wrote:I'm also curious about how one would become aware of such a plot or conspiracy.

Easy: The VINE system tells me when a warrant is issued. Once I got that message, I checked into what happened and, with the use of a few favors of my Masonic friends, learned that her ankle monitor had reported that she had left her perimeter and that she had not been heard from in a few hours.

-M

esxmarkc

Post by esxmarkc »

I'm tired of living the boring life.... Does she have a sister? :cool:
Keeping the king of England out of your face since 12/05/2009

Topic author
sominus

Post by sominus »

esxmarkc wrote:I'm tired of living the boring life.... Does she have a sister? :cool:
I call my ex "pretty poison". Nice looking exterior, the fires of Hades inside. She has borderline personality disorder, among other things. Her sister, while not nearly as attractive, is twice as looney. I can hook you guys up if you like! :evil2:

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

sominus wrote:
esxmarkc wrote:I'm tired of living the boring life.... Does she have a sister? :cool:
I call my ex "pretty poison". Nice looking exterior, the fires of Hades inside. She has borderline personality disorder, among other things. Her sister, while not nearly as attractive, is twice as looney. I can hook you guys up if you like! :evil2:
Been there, done that and got the t-shirt....I wonder if our exes are related? :shock:
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

MotherBear

Post by MotherBear »

I'd stay armed and vigilant, but I think you have to evaluate the immediate level of threat. Can you stay inside and call the police if she shows up? Is she empty-handed and seeming rational (still wouldn't trust her, but wouldn't shoot her either) or screaming and swinging a baseball bat? Is she accompanied by a few thugs wearing black hoodies? I'd definitely consider a home security system if you don't already have one, preferably one you can check from a remote location.

I also think that when I found out she was on the loose, I'd have called my local law enforcement agencies. I live in a smaller town just outside Austin, and the police here are pretty friendly and proactive. If they knew a convicted felon had slipped parole and was possibly on her way to the area wanting to harm a resident, I suspect they'd pass around a photos and keep an eye out for her just in case. I think they'd also be inclined to temporarily increase patrols in the neighborhood if they felt the threat was credible. And if you found out while away from home that she was on the loose and were concerned that your home was already compromised, I feel fairly confident that my local police department would be happy to make a quick check of the house before you went in. Worst-case scenario, you have big-city cops who are too busy to actually do anything but you at least have it on record that you were concerned and tried to take measures to avoid a situation.

Just what occurs to me off the top of my head.

RJGold

Post by RJGold »

sominus wrote:
Not throwing stones here but she is well beyond any border I know of...

My two cents...
Lo que no puede cambiar, tu que debe aguantar.
Take Care.
RJ

esxmarkc

Post by esxmarkc »

So let's pretend that my ex-wife was sentenced to 15 years in the Texas pokey for a murder-for-hire plot. Remember, we're just pretending here.
And let's say that she went missing for a while last week
So you are considering that she has a BORDERLINE personality disorder?!?!?! She was sentenced to 15 years for a murder-for-hire plot, while incarcerated she tries to find someone to KILL you, She paroles out with an ankle monitor and VANISHES somewhere in your direction.

And you consider this a BORDERLINE personality disorder?!??! That's like saying Obama is only slightly liberal.

I'm really hoping you got a full refund from the dating service.

:smilelol5: :smilelol5: :smilelol5:

Just messing with ya of course.
Keeping the king of England out of your face since 12/05/2009

Topic author
sominus

Post by sominus »

esxmarkc wrote:
And let's say that she went missing for a while last week
So you are considering that she has a BORDERLINE personality disorder?!?!?! She was sentenced to 15 years for a murder-for-hire plot, while incarcerated she tries to find someone to KILL you, She paroles out with an ankle monitor and VANISHES somewhere in your direction.

And you consider this a BORDERLINE personality disorder?!??! That's like saying Obama is only slightly liberal.

I'm really hoping you got a full refund from the dating service.

:smilelol5: :smilelol5: :smilelol5:

Just messing with ya of course.

You know, the part that really gets everyone going about this is that she inherited $1.5 million while in the pokey.

They're not sure if its Borderline or Antisocial personality disorder... In my opinion, antisocial fits better (I'm a doctor, but not a psychiatrist)...

Here's a verbal picture for you:

=====
Antisocial personality disorder signs and symptoms may include:

Disregard for right and wrong
Persistent lying or deceit to exploit others
Using charm or wit to manipulate others for personal gain or for sheer personal pleasure
Intense egocentrism, sense of superiority and exhibitionism
Recurring difficulties with the law
Repeatedly violating the rights of others by the use of intimidation, dishonesty and misrepresentation
Child abuse or neglect
Hostility, significant irritability, agitation, impulsiveness, aggression or violence
Lack of empathy for others and lack of remorse about harming others
Unnecessary risk-taking or dangerous behaviors
Poor or abusive relationships
Irresponsible work behavior
Failure to learn from the negative consequences of behavior
Antisocial personality disorder symptoms may begin in childhood and are fully evident for most people during their 20s and 30s. In children, cruelty to animals, bullying behavior, impulsivity or explosions of anger, social isolation, and poor school performance may be, in some cases, early signs of the disorder.

Although considered a lifelong disorder, some symptoms — particularly destructive and criminal behavior and the use of alcohol or drugs — may decrease over time, but it's not clear whether this decrease is a result of aging or an increased awareness of the consequences of antisocial behavior.
=====

...and, oddly enough, we met on Yahoo Personals back in 1998. :cryin
Last edited by sominus on Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”